1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynaudio Sub300 vs Sub500

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by RaceTripper, Oct 17, 2004.

1. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Dynaudio Audience SUB30A.

I've been auditioning the newer Dynaudio Sub300. I really like it's smaller size for my room, the fact I can get it in cherry to match my Audience 7 speaker kit, and using the remote with discrete codes and storage of 4 presets. I will be using this strictly for movies, and not for music (which is handled nicely by my Audience 72s).

Compared to my Sub30A it seems a big improvement in terms of tighter and faster response, better detail and more refined sound, and complete lack of any boominess. It also seems to disppear more from the room and improve the overall soundstage on surround soundtracks.

The Sub30A, however, has slightly deeper bass, so I'm now thinking more in terms of the Sub500, but my dealer doesn't keep a demo unit. Has anyone had a chance to compare the Sub300 and Sub500? What differences did you notice? Is the 500 worth the extra $450 U.S. it would cost me over the Sub300?

Dean

2. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considered the contour?
    Wonderfully controlled deep bass.

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes and no.

The Contour is way more expensive than the Sub500 (by $1000 US), it too big for my space, it's discontinued (and my dealer already sold his demo), and the Sub500 is supposed to be its successor and an improvement.

But thanks for suggesting it anyway.

4. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just shows you how far behind the times I am.
    The 500 looks impressive, the specs are similar to the contour.

Sorry couldn't help.

Ryan

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We're not ignoring you Dean, it's just that Dynaudio subs are rare beasts in the UK and they weren't even using them in the Dynaudio demo room at our annual hifi show earlier this year

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Ian. I respect that, but thought I'd try here first since this forum seems more open-minded to me than many of its counterparts.

I think when the time comes I'll just order the Sub500. The relationship I have with my dealer is such that if for some reason I dislike it after auditioning the Sub300, they'll take it back.

7. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    :offtopic: but I must say those massive posters in your house look very impressive! Where did you get them? Then we better get back to subwoofers :blush:

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    We try to be open minded although sometimes it seems that we don't talk about anything apart from SVS. Fortunately for us the pound is very strong against the dollar and we can bring these in at prices that compare highly favourably to other subs.

The other problem that we have in the UK is that loads of subs that you have in USA rarely (if ever) see the light of day over here and Adire, Bag End, Codrive, HSU, SRT, Kleiss, Klipsch, ServoDrive, Snell and Triad are names that we just read about on American forums.

Ask us anything about B&W, MJ Acosutics or REL and you'll get loads of answers though :D

9. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, most of those are the real deal. Original stone lithographs from the earlier half of the 20th century.

My wife and I mostly get those from dealers, locally and some out of Chicago and NYC. The photos don't do them any justice because the colors and texture really need to be experienced firsthand. They aren't cheap either. I could get one unframed for what I'll pay for my Sub500, and they can get a lot more expensive too.

10. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    British audio and I go a long way back to the mid 80s when I got my first Linn/Naim system. Most americans don't appreciate how really good your kits are. They get too caught up in specs, features, buzzwords, etc. and forget to actually judge with their own ears. I learned better a long time ago. Still have my Linn LP12 and Saras, and have 3 Arcam kits. :thumbsup:

I actually considered REL for a sub. I've heard them and am impressed. But they're either too big for my space (ST series), or too ugly for my space (Q series).

But as far as loudspeakers go, I haven't heard anything in the U.S. I like as much as the Dynaudios (except that my 20 yr. old Linn Saras still sound great).

11. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A man of taste :thumbsup:

I've been running Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MkIIs (in a gorgeous birdseye maple) on my Naim kit for several years and they are superb - the amount of well controlled bass that these stand-mounts can generate is unbelievable.

Unfortunately I've had to move to a much smaller house and the Dyns are not happy close to the rear wall so I shall have to say goodbye to them :(

12. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard them and agree. I never cease to be amazed how good the Contours are. I have the Audience 52SE (which have the 1.3 drivers and xover) as side surrounds and plan to change my back surrounds (currently Audience 62) to them as well. I'm also now very tempted to replace my Audence 72 mains with the new Audience 72SE.

13. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to follow up...

I ordered the Dynaudio Sub500 today...should arrive tomorrow.

I demoed the Sub300, but haven't heard the 500. Reports are that it outperforms the older Contour Sub.

Can't wait to try out the tidal wave scene in "Day After Tomorrow". :thumbsup:

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hope that you'll give us a review of the sub when it's all set up

15. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will do. I have a free weekend to play for a change.

16. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So far I can say, wow!!! The Dynaudio Sub500 rocks!

Spec:
    Cherry finish
    18-250 Hz +-3db
    250 Watt amp
    12" long throw driver
    sealed 36 litre enclosure

I previously had a Dynaudio Sub30A and I home auditioned the Sub300. I liked the tight control, speed, and detail of the Sub300, but the deeper bass of the Sub30A.

The Sub500 is better than the above on both counts, by a large margin. It has excellent control, detail, and clarity, and it's very fast. I hear absolutely no hint of boominess or rumble, even with the unfiltered extended bass setting (down to 18 Hz).

Some of the bass heavy DVDs I played are Day After Tomorrow, Top Gun SE (DTS ES), LOTR:ROTK EE, I Robot, and Master and Commander. On all of these I get even response across the freq. range. Low bass is so tight and well controlled the sub just disppears from the room. And I hear many sound details I always missed before.

My other speakers are all Dynaudio (72, 122C, 52SE, 62 all powered by Arcam Alpha amps) and this sub integrates so well that I have now set all speakers to Small in my bass management, where I previously set the 72 floorstanders to Large. I'm still experimenting with settings, but the kit sounds fabulous even without fine tuning sub placement, xover, and phase.

The other sub I considered was REL. I heard these at my dealer, but quite frankly didn't audition at home or consider further for cosmetic reasons. My kit is in our living room, and I just didn't like the looks of the REL compared to the Dynaudio subs.

Now my next project is to upgrade my Dyn. Audience 72 and 122C to a pair of Dyn. Contour T2.5 and a T2.1 center.

Big thumbs up for the Sub500.

Dean

17. 5ergo

5ergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to hear you are happy with the new sub!

I wanted to have dynaudio sub but i changed my mind when i found out svs/hsu are offering the same depth at much lower price.I was looking at BM12S which is the same as yours only meant for monitor system.

I also have Audience42 (on Primare A10) which sound pretty bad in my small room thats why i decided to buy dynaudio monitors BM6A which sound great.

If anyone has small room (like 10, 15sq meters) id suggest buying monitors instead of bookshelfs!