Dynaudio Special Forty Standmount Speaker Review & Comments

yeah heard these at bristol, seriously blown away. the bass for a bookshelf was frankly astounding, and they had a dynamism on top of that which was jaw dropping

seriously impressive speaker

Wow. High praise indeed.
I've had a pair of ProAc 1SC since forever, feeling smug that I've yet to come across any reason to feel I might replace them. After reading this, even unheard I'm almost sold (yeah, thanks for that)

If they sound as nice as they look should be very good. Way over any budget I would have though!

If they sound as nice as they look should be very good. Way over any budget I would have though!
2500? high end for sure but that doesn't seem out of line with other offerings. the 705s2 are 1800 or so.

speak pricing usually is per pair

They do seem able to pull excellence out of a hat do Dynaudio.

But that finish. Gruesomely ugly :zonked:

Nice review.

Would these be an upgrade to my q acoustic 2020i bookshelf speakers :)

there are other finishes available, and having seen them in the flesh they look better in real life than that pic. i'd put them in my room

Now this finish is quite the tastiness.

E74B0835-846E-4FCB-9788-683F3B200EF9.jpeg

Gorgeous.

@Ed Selley any idea how the £1k Dynaudios compare?

mossym, was not suggesting they were out of kilter to others re price, they are though out of kilter to my pocket money!!! I shall have to live with my Q Acoustic Concept 20's, might upgrade to 40's one day!:thumbsup:

They must be wolves in sheep's clothing as they are a little plain looking at the front. The performance is paramount but they could've added a bit of 'Bling' around the woofer and tweeter to make them look 'real nice'. I'd love to give them a trial run :)

Bling? Seriously? Hifi is all about the sound. Personally speaking I think they look lovely. If I was looking at stand mounted speakers I'd definitely consider them but I'm in the market for a slim pair of towers. Totem tribe are currently in the lead of choices.

No bling apart from the glossy veneers,but i am not surprised they sound so good as they have the latest and greatest drivers from the Evidence range.The Contour 20 adds a better(more inert) cabinet for 4000 pounds.

They certainly stand out....striking appearance

Bling? Seriously? Hifi is all about the sound. Personally speaking I think they look lovely. If I was looking at stand mounted speakers I'd definitely consider them but I'm in the market for a slim pair of towers. Totem tribe are currently in the lead of choices.

As I said the performance is paramount, I wouldn't dispute that. Personally they're plain looking at the front and missing something to make them stand out a bit, so yes, Bling! Seriously! Just my opinion, we all see things differently :)

I agree with that but I like them, especially in the grey. I currently have Audience 42 and they're very plain but that finish.... I think it looks amazing. If they had a floorstanding alternative I'd definitely look at them.

Yup. The grey is quite impressively attractive to me too.

A floorstande would be something indeed.

I'm in the market for a small pair around 5k, hence my totem tribe tower obsession! They tick all my boxes tbh.

Hi,
I attended the Bristol hi-fi show for the first time this year and for me, there were two highlights.
First was getting into a conversation with an American guy about my love for SVS subs and the ones I had owned and now owned, without realising he was the American CEO for SVS (Gary Yacoubian) what a nice guy.
Secondly, I spent a good 25 minutes listening to these speakers (which sounded utterly stunning). Two things brought me down to earth with a bump though, the price of £2,500 for them and also the guy sitting next to me who pointed out that around £4,000's worth of electronics were being used to demo the speakers.
I think I'll have to follow Cornish Dave's advice and stick with my concept 20's !!
Gregory

Thanks Ed for the review. I think the following sums them up:

More importantly, this bass energy is beautifully integrated with everything else and the speaker is also commendably fast on its feet.

When I heard them at The Indulgence Show I have to admit I had a bit of an anorak moment and took a few minutes off the listening sofa to look at the speakers properly. I put my hand over the rear port and could only feel a small amount of energy. I did this as I was having difficulty getting my head around the fact that such robust, tight and smoothly integrated bass was coming from a speaker driver and cabinet that are relatively diminuitive. I was looking at the depth of the speaker and kept expecting to see more. It was a bit of a weird feeling and is a testament to Dynaudio's engineering prowess. However, I didn't put this in my show report as it sounds a bit nutty!

Last edited:
Whose going to be first to put the money down ? would a Yamaha A-S2100 do them justice or something beefier more sensible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom