1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynaudio/M&K surround options

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by parrydave, Sep 21, 2004.

1. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Having recently upgraded my receiver from a Sony STR-DB940 (went bang!) to Arcam AVR300, I am now looking at replacing my Kef 5.1 set-up (Q35.2/Q15.2/Q95). The Arcam really shows up the limitations of the Kef centre in particular. So....

I bought Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkIIs, primarily for stereo use (also have an Arcam A85/CD92T). I listened to them in stereo and fell in love with them.

So now i have to sort out the surround options. My room isn't too large, so I am keen to wall mount rears. I auditioned the Contours with an Audience 122C centre at home, still using the Kefs at back. Sounded really good.
    However, the matching Audience 42W surrounds are BIG!! not an ideal option for me.

So I am contemplating 2 options:

1. Use Contours for FL/FR (route AVR300 pre-outs to A85). With the Audience 122C and go for something like M&K K4 tripoles at the rear. Is the Dynaudio 122C a good match for Contour 1.3mkII (different drivers?). Am I asking for trouble mixing brands/ranges like this?

2. Go for M&K 5.1 setup using the AVR300 alone, and keep a separate stereo system. I already have a REL Q150 sub. I have heard the M&k xenon system (LCR25/S25). Was very impressive but expensive. How does the K-series compare?

Option one will be cheapest and involve less speakers, but which would sound best for movies? I know I need to demo - but any thoughts/advice welcome.

thanks

2. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

Try the K17's with K4 tripoles, unbeatable in my humble opinion!

3. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am also using k17s with k4s + 1 k15 rear centre i to am very impressed with the mks should sound better with your avr300 am only using 3802 to power mine

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    If you can try and get a demo of the m&ks with music as they do take some getting used to,they tend to sound a bit clinical but still very dynamic and detailed.With movies to my ears they really take some beating dynamic,detailed,subtle,they seem to do everything where movies are concerned.The other thing i would suggest is changing your subwoofer to something beefier,Check out the sub threads iam sure you will get some idea of what i mean, Believe me a quality sub can make the biggest difference to the sound of any av system .
    Cheers Gonzo :)
    Ps the k-4s are excellent small rear speakers imo.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I seem to be out on a limb here as I would suggest keeping the Dynaudios and buying a matching Dynaudio centre plus a pair of M&K K4 for the rears.

I don't think that front to rear matching is quite as important as the matching front three. M&K are fairly neutral and the K4 (which I use) are excellent small rear speakers

6. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for replies.

I am definitely keeping the dynaudios (at least for stereo), cos I only got them this week.

I think Gonzo has made a valid point regarding sub upgrade. Going the pure sub/sat route I would agree, a new sub would be on the horizon. Which pushes the price of option 2 (separate stereo and AV systems) even higher.

With a full size Dynaudio front set though, I think a sub upgrade would be far less essential. It won't have to cover much mid-bass at all, just add occasional thump and rumble. Plus far easier to set up - less fiddling with sub integration.

So nobody has heard the M&K xenon range? Not sure if the extra cost goes mostly towards compact size, rather than improved sound. Anyway, the K17 plan has some appeal - vifa drivers?

Pros/Cons:
    1. separate M&K AV set will cost several hundred £££ more than adding to Dynaudios.
    2. A sub upgrade (£600-£700?) would be more necessary with M&K AV set.
    3. Dynaudio centre is BIG
    4. Mixed Dyn/M&K will use both my amps in current setup (see orig. post). Not a problem at the moment, but it would make any future upgrade to stereo amp more difficult - moving from Arcam could change sound of my fronts in AV. - upgrade is a long way off though!

All because my sony amp died and my current stand mounted rears are stood infront of a cupboard door! Isn't it amazing how quickly things get out of hand.

cheers