Dynaudio fronts but what rears?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Wonky, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Wonky

Wonky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

I have a pair of Dynaudio audience 10's (old but still sound good to me) and I want to add a pair of rears, a centre and a sub.

The sub and centre aren't a problem as I have plenty of space for those but I can't fit in a pair of 42w rears without the wife having a fit.

So which rears?

Have looked at Mission, Warfdale etc... but which will go best with the Dynaudio's? Is it essential I have all 5 speakers from the same manufacturer?

Help!

Tim.

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim - ref to you're question about all 5 speakers being the same, ideally yes that is the best way to go but tbh aslong as the front 3 speakers are the same that is the most important part of the setup as the majority of the sound is produced by these speakers and therefore to have them matching is essential to give a convinceing front soundstage.

The rears are not so important and in my experience you can get away with useing different makes as they are only used for effects and therefore do not distract or make the sound any less convinceing than it would if the fronts were mixed.

Ref to choices for the rears i would have a look at M&K as they make some of the finest surround speakers availible and the tripoles should be at the top of anyones list, have a look at the link below :thumbsup:

M&K Surround speakers

3. Wonky

Wonky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that - those tripoles do indeed look the business!

Just have to see who in the Reading area has some for demo...

4. laeumh

laeumh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in a square room, where they have to be wall mounted, do these speakers go on the back wall, facing the TV, or on the side wall "facing the sofa" ?

5. petetherock

petetherock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Can I offer a different suggestion, since you need small, Eltax makes these tiny dipoles HT2 I think or Wharfedales also has a similarly small room friend ones WH2?

Try them. Cheap and decent (see Richer Sounds)
    P

6. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    And i have something similar.... Focus 110 Fronts, Audience 42C Centre and some rather lovely M&K K4's for rears.... i can't tell you what it sounds like yet as the place is being decorated so i have some cables in walls and some M&K's on the floor... soon though i'll let you know!

Not that it's killing me or anything :(

I listened to the M&K's and they really are excellent....

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    FWIW I've mixed M&K K4 tripoles with my PMC fronts and using the Denon EQ to 'match' the timbre to the front pair...it sounds great. Even with the EQ to 'OFF' it still sounds really good. Audio-T in Reading might still have some M&K stuff or Sevenoaks' Reading branch might be able to help. I picked up some K15s from Sevenoaks in Tunbridge Wells as I happened to be working nearby and called in on the off chance. I got my K4s from Audio-T in Camberley..but could only manage a 10% discount on those as stocks of White models is now limited, since the factory closed.:(