Dynaudio Focus vs Excite

Lobito

Hi everyone currently I have the Emit M20s and drive them with a Roksan Caspian M2 and a Denafrips Ares II as DAC. Room is 20 sqm.
I'm really happy with the overall sound of the Emit except for one thing, I've tried a number of different amps and DACs but I always find the midrange a bit recessed compared to low and treble and this results in a somewhat lean and thin sound.

I want to switch to a tower model and I'm thinking about the Excite X38 or the Focus 260 I can get for the same price, or paying something extra, the Focus 340.
Can you tell me the timbre differences between the Focus line and the Excite line?
Which of the two lines has a better organic midrange and leans toward the warm side of neutral?? On the contrary which of the two has treble a little bit more forward?

Thank you very much.

Orobas

The Focus are a much more modern speaker to the Excite and use more upmarket parts from their range. The result of this is a much cleaner, accurate presentation of the sound at the end of the day.
The Focus was designed with that name in mind.. more focus on the important midrange clarity.
In theory, this would mean that the excite "should" be the more aggressive sounding of the 2..

looking at the price of a focus 260 these days.. i would actually suggest seeing of you can get an ex demo or part exchange on the new Evoke 30's... I think with the caspian partnership.. that may be the better choice as the successor to the focus.

throwing a very curved ball here .. had you thought on the special 40's (standmount) .. that is the ultimate partnership for the caspian to bring out the very best in it. only reason for the curved ball .. is the price.. same almost! this is a very special sounding standmounter.

just be very aware that the higher the model, the more revealing it will be with poor sources, although thankfully you have the warmer sounding caspian to help where i have the flat kandy ;)

Lobito

Hi everyone currently I have the Emit M20s and drive them with a Roksan Caspian M2 and a Denafrips Ares II as DAC. Room is 20 sqm.
I'm really happy with the overall sound of the Emit except for one thing, I've tried a number of different amps and DACs but I always find the midrange a bit recessed compared to low and treble and this results in a somewhat lean and thin sound.

I want to switch to a tower model and I'm thinking about the Excite X38 or the Focus 260 I can get for the same price, or paying something extra, the Focus 340.
Can you tell me the timbre differences between the Focus line and the Excite line?
Which of the two lines has a better organic midrange and leans toward the warm side of neutral?? On the contrary which of the two has treble a little bit more forward?

Thank you very much.
I get it, So the Excite X38 sounds brighter than the 260 focus even though it has an additional 14cm midrange?
I also own Kandy K2 and sounds a little bit darker and less tight bass, Caspian M2 is a slightly more transparent in mid-top range let's say

Orobas

The Focus equiv to the X38 would have been the 340.. not the 260...... In which case the X38 will have the edge over the smaller newer 260... however.. put the Focus 340 against the X38.. and the Focus just blows it away
My reference on the sound was based on the range on a like for like

Lobito

The Focus equiv to the X38 would have been the 340.. not the 260...... In which case the X38 will have the edge over the smaller newer 260... however.. put the Focus 340 against the X38.. and the Focus just blows it away
My reference on the sound was based on the range on a like for like
Ok but focus 260 was released in 2011 and Excite X38 in 2013, why you say the newer 260?

Orobas

Model line... Focus resides between their Excite and Contour lines
the 260 was indeed 2011.. the excite equivalent.. x32 was 2008

Lobito

Model line... Focus resides between their Excite and Contour lines
the 260 was indeed 2011.. the excite equivalent.. x32 was 2008
Surely both are excellent speakers, but would the additional 14cm mid on the x38 give more mids sound feel than the 2.5 way focus 260? Or does only the quality of the drivers matter?

Orobas

As i mentioned on my previous posting.. the X38 against the 260 is a no contest.. the X38 has it indeed with that additional dedicated mid driver.. thats one thing they got tuned in well.

usually it is the quality of the drivers and how well they integrate over the design.. but Dynaudio are one of those manufactures that don't really follow the rule book

BUT... put the 340 against the X38.... and its a whole different kettle of fish.. the 340 has the edge this time with a much better mid unit

Last edited:

Jason72

Hi,
I appreciate this post will not help solve your question. I have a pair of standmount Dynaudio Excite X18's and also a pair of KEF LS50's. With the A,B comparisons I have made using a Marantz CD6006 U.K. and a Sony TA-A1ES amp the Excite X18's are head and shoulders above the L.S.50's in all areas (in my personal opinion). What I'm saying is that the Excite X18's are a brilliant set of speakers, which should reflect on the other Excite speakers in the range.
Gregory

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom