1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynaudio Contour or B&W CM C Center Speaker?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Beamer, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a fairly mixed speaker set up with IMF professional monitors at the front, Stadium bass and a couple of older class B&W's (2003) at the rear. With the advent of Sky+ and the incredible sound quality, I now find my old Yamaha center speaker lacking performance. I'm looking at two speakers presently: Contour Centre or B&W CM C Center Speaker, has anyone experience of either speakers? The Contour seems to be very very expensive not that the B&W is cheap at £350. My amps are a bit of a mix as I use a Yamaha A1 for the rear/center and a Sansui Monster BA-2000 for the front to drive the IMF Monster speakers (Power Guzzlers)

I hope this is not going to be another centere speaker thread that get's lots of views but no responses;)

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the Dynaudio to be lacking in transparency and not the best value. Dyn make some fabulous speakers but this is not a stand out.

Try looking at the huge Proac CC2. Awesome beast normally £1K but I've seen it available at half that. You just need the room!!

3. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    "Try looking at the huge Proac CC2. Awesome beast normally £1K but I've seen it available at half that. You just need the room!!"

Unfortunatley I do not have the room for anything bigger than the Contour Centre but thanks for the feedback. Anyone care to comment on the B&W CM C.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Get a centre speaker to match your fronts if possible, failing that get one that will match your future fronts. I'd go for a CDM CNT (£750) if you are looking at B&W, and cannot afford a N800 C2 (£1,500 ish).

5. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beamer, I had owned B&W CC6 S2 and CMC center speakers.
    (I had the CMC for about 3 months with CM4 fronts.)

I'd honestly suggest CDM CNT, if you're thinking of purchasing CMC.
    I now have CDM CNT with CDM 7NT.
    The difference I feel/hear going from CMC to CDM CNT is huge.
    CM line & CDM line exhibit completely different characteristic/sound.
    CM series is more of relaxed, and laid back sounding while CDM NT series is more of "in-your-face" sort of sound.

Have a listen to those speakers, then you'll exactly see what I mean. :)

BTW, why don't you match center with your fronts ?

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Concerning the difference between CMC and CDM Is it more a question of different rather than better?

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

Not at all. The CM series speakers, very rarely seen now, were a bit of a hitch really. They didn't sound as good as they should for the price. The CDM NT series on the other hand sound much better, the stars of the series being the 1, C and S NT's. (which conveniently makes a nice 5 speaker package).

8. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Richard

You talk of the CM series a though they were obsolete! Are they? My local dealer represented them as current product and they do appear to be still available on the B&W web site.

Concerning the comment from Retro, IMF Professional monitors are a transmission line monitor speakers the size of a coffin and when I say huge they really are, so matching them is out of the question. The CDM CNT will not fit into the shelf under the 37" TV and will prove to be an even bigger problem when I finally make the decision on the PJ purchase. Ideally I want a good quality center speaker the same size as the Contour unit or the CM C and if it is angled up slightly like the present Yamaha center speaker that would be a bonus. Suprisingly the Yamaha has worked well for the last three years but moving to a digital output from the Sky+ receiver is now showing it's limitations in dynamic range.

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Beamer: The B&W CM series are indeed current, just had to find. We had a set of the 3 speakers in the series in when they came out new (last year?) and didn't think they were anything special.

You might want to consider looking at the LCR600 S3 (£350), that is a good centre channel that would match your large studio monitors well.

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,938
    bit pricey at £750.....don't you think it should be £400.....as thats 350 more than list price....thats a huge mark-up!!

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not the KEF 100 or 200...:confused:

12. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My mistake. I was thinking of the CDM SNT surrounds.

13. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Retro: Thanks for the sugestion on the LCR600 S3. Since they are the same price as the CM C I need to check them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.