1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynaudio Contour 1.1...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by triplebj, Oct 13, 2002.

1. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after deciding that my main priority is good stereo sound and having upped my budget to ~£2K, I went to listen to even more speakers.....

To cut a long story short, I am now considering :-
    Fronts - Dynaudio Contour 1.1 (£900)
    Centre - Dynaudio Contour Centre (£800 - ouch !)
    Rears - Dynaudio Audience 42W (£400)

These would be used with my Arcam AVR-200 and Rel Q100.

Does anybody have any of these speakers ? - the Contour 1.1s are the highest rated bookshelf speakers on AudioReview.com !

The only other speakers, I would like to audition are PMC DB1, but I haven't been able to find them in London....

Comments or other suggestions ?

Thanx,
    BJ

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about some Polk Audio's?

I have the Polk Audio RT600i's as my main fronts for stereo and as front left/right in a HT set up, with the CS400i centre and RT25i's for the rears.

There's a review of them here.

As you can see by the review they can't be faulted, they are a class speaker. :)

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    triplebj

I have a bit of a soft spot for Dynaudio speakers as i find their sound really great across quite a few models.
    I haven't heard the Contour 1.1's, but i have heard the Contour 1.3MkII's (standmounters). They are one of the best stoundmounters that i've had the pleasure of listening to.
    My old IT manager used to have a 5.1 setup with 5 Contour 1.3MkII's. I never heard it myself, although he used to pester me endlessly about how good it sounded.
    Having heard their abilities i can see what he would mean!..
    I think they're about £1200.00 new.
    I'd love to hear the other members of the Contour range...

I am a Dynaudio fan.

Adzman

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have heard the 1.1 some time ago driven by a 13 Watt tube pre/-power combo and it did sound fantastic. So small and yet so much bass. Not to mention the build quality!
    I also briefly listened to the 1.3MkII but not in a 1:1 comparision to the 1.1, but as expected they do sound great, too.

In fact I am interested in the Contour series myself and just last night I was walking around the electronics section of a department store and to my surprise they actually had Dynaudio speakers. But my heart was bleeding when I saw the price: GBP1100 for the 1.1 and GBP2700 for the 1.8 - autsch. :(
    That hurts, especially if you know that the 1.1 cost only GBP390 in Singapore (no mistake)!

Well, guess sooner or later I will end up buying them, just need to find a way how to ship them to Taiwan .... ;)

5. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about Dynaudio myself. Has anybody investigated the price in Denmark or got information on any retail outlets in Denmark who stock them?

6. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, guys !

I couldn't find any places in Denmark, which sell them, but I found a place in Germany, which will ship to the UK for 50 Euros !

Their prices are :

Contour 1.1: 960 Euros = £608 (£867 here)
    Contour Center: 900 Euros = £570 (£850 here)
    Audience 42W silver: 598 Euros = £379 (£495 here)

Bottom line with shipping is £1589 with shipping versus £2224 in rip-off UK !!! That's a 29% saving !

I am just about ready to order - anybody want to split the shipping ? ;)

Adzman: I am in South London, so maybe we can meet for a beer in the Dynaudio Fan Club :)

BJ

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Dynaudios are superb (not heard the 1.1's, but the 1.3 Mk. II's are wonderful, so I would imagine the 1.1's are too) but may I recommend the ATC SCM-12's? They may be a bit above your budget at £999, but they're surely worth it! Alternatively, you could get a pair of Passive 10's for ~£800 I believe. I have Active 10's (£1269) and they're absolutely fantastic! ATC make the only speakers I've heard that bettered (to my ears) the Dynaudio 1.3's when I did my hooge high-end standmount auditioning sessions last year in search of the perfect speaker. :)

'Course, it sounds like I may be too late - enjoy your Dynaudios. :D

Cheers,

Dunc

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah mate...i've been known to sink a few beers.........so i'm up 4 a few cold bottles & some talking shyte anytime...

Adzman...

9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Very good prices - do they have a website?

Also, won't there be some UK import taxes to pay on top of the prices you quoted? VAT etc?

Matt.

10. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you may :)

I did consider the SCM-12s, but they are just too big and quite ugly (IMHO - sorry, owners !) and do not come in black.

The 10s look great, but even those are a bit big. I like the idea of a "true monitor", since the Q100 will do the hard work at the lower frequencies.....

I am even considering putting the Contour 1.1s on the wall with the foam thingies in the back, but don't tell any hi-fi purists ;)

BJ

11. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their website is http://www.hifi-edition.de. There is an email contact on there.....

I don't know the import tax rules, but I would have thought that anything bought within the EU can be freely shipped/moved around ? - not sure though....... Anybody know ?

(I am sure there some UK specific rules making sure we get scr*wed !)

BJ

12. Inukjuak

Inukjuak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found a review of the DC1.1 on the same site as the Polks http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/contour1-1_e.html worth a look.

Nice speakers, but have you read the review of the Polks, I haven't seen such a positive review of a pair of speakers like that before. If I had a spare $800 they would be in my room before you could say Sheep Dip. ;)

13. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure the Polks are great, but way, way too big for my tiny London flat :)

I like the Contour 1.1 review conclusion: "Could I live with these speakers? You bet I could. Would I change anything in them? No, nothing, they are just right, but I would add an active subwoofer"

Methinks they will go very well with my Q100, although the bass was quite impressive, when I auditioned them on their own.....

Thanks for the comments !
    BJ

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  15. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have Dynaudio's all round with Contour 1.8 MK2's for front, Audience C122 for Centre, and Audience 40's for rears. They sound brilliant in my set up and I've never regretted buying them (about 18 months ago). They sound brilliant with music and movies, having both power and clarity to their sound. Haven't found any need to add a subwoofer yet.

They are relatively hard to drive, so make sure you have a powerful Amp. I had a Naim 82/180 set up previously and the 180 sounded terrible with the Contours. Changed to Myryad processor/power amps and everything sounded superb.

16. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, speakers on order from Germany and 2500 Euros on the way over there :)

Should be here late next week - yeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaa ;)

When they are broken in, feel free to pop by for a listen and a beer....

BJ

17. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Triplebj

I couldn't get the e mail address from the web site. Can you post it here?

Thanks

18. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case anybody else is considering ordering from Hi-Fi Edition in Germany:

I just received my speakers yesterday. Delivered to my office without any problems at all. Nice saving over buying them over here.

Connected them to my AVR-200 and even though they apparently need a long break-in period, they sound GREAT !!! :)

Hanging them 42Ws tonight..........

BJ (Danes don't lie ! :) )

20. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.frankharvey.co.uk

Frank Harvey Hi Fi Excellence sell Dynaudio speakers a small selection are on the website (I know this as I've just doen the update), the shop is in Coventry - they are well stocked on three floors.

Give them a ring or drop in, I'm sure they will help you out.

21. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    old thread i know, but i picked up a pair 2nd hand for 500 quid. wooooooow i love them!!!! they may be ancient, but jesus they sound soooo nice! compared them with my mission m74's and well there just IS no comparison, the missions are flat, lifeless, deal, muffled and just plain rubbish next to these speakers that are 1/4 their size! i defo have the hifi bug now, dj setup done, next comes the home cinema!

22. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you had a good deal especially if you are pleased with them.

I once had a dem of a pair of speakers I was interested in and I thought wow that's it I'm in Love! Then as a tease the sales guy switched over to a pair of Linn speakers about 8 times out of my price range, and blew my original choice out of the water. It's incredible what a difference quality can make.