dynaudio audience 42 vs. 52?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stevie S, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had a chance to audition these two sets of speakers against each other? I had a listen to some 62 floorstanders but found them actually less musical than the 42s. However, I was wondering whether I should try the 52s as well, before it's too late and I can't change the order I've placed...

TIA
    Stevie

2. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have also auditioned 62's and 42's but not the 52's (as part of a home cinema set up).

The 42's were much better in my opinion, both with films and music.

Persevere with the 52's since they are supposed to be better still.

regards

Megson

3. Mobster

Mobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've compared 42's and 52's side by side in my living room (which is about 20 square meters). Speakers were positioned about 20cm (8") from back wall which is concrete. Even tough those were pretty similiar there were clear differences also:

42's had a better - deeper - soundstage. But it might be that 52's were handicapped a bit by being so close to the wall? 52's are larger speakers and might need more space around.

The bass went about 10hz deeper with 52's. 42's minimum in room is at about 50hz. I could hear 52's went a bit deeper but for some strange reason 42's seemed to have a bit stronger bass. I guess 42's bass reponse is a bit powerfull in mid/upper bass area (60hz and up). Bass in the 42's were tighter more accurate but it lacked some of the warmth in singers voices that 52's had. I think that is a result of 52's going lower.

There was a minor difference in the upper area also. I noticed 52's had just a bit stronger treble in a really narrow band (around 1700-1800hz?). I suspect that 42's have their crossover frequency there. I barely noticed that. Overall level of treble was the same.

I prefered 42's . it suited better my room and my listening taste.

4. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. From what you're saying, Mobster, I might be best to stick with what I have ordered. The room they'll be in is not very big, and there certainly won't be much scope to place them very far from the back wall.

The 42s were very impressive to these ears.

Stevie

5. Mobster

Mobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my 42's about six months ago after listening quite a few pairs of speakers. 42's were the first speakers that really stopped me to listening to the music instead of the speakers. Those just sounded, well 'musical'. So I took those and 52's home for a test over weekend. I expected that 52's would come out as a winner... I didn't object that 42's suited me better since those were a bit cheper also :)

6. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Everyone seems to be suggesting 42s so I feel the need to put in a good word for the 52s! I would agree that they arent suited being right up against a back wall but give them a bit of space to breath and they sing. I dont have mine in a large room but I still think they sound fantastic with plenty of bass with stereo sources.

7. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    42's won't sound good up against a back wall either. They will need at least 30 cm space from the back wall or they will boom. Don't even think about using the supplied bungs in the ports, they totally screw up the sound.

8. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okeydoke - thanks for the advice
    Stevie