Dynaudio Audience 42/52 ?

T

triplebj

Does anybody have any of the above speakers ? - they seem to get rave reviews in magazines and on audioreview.com.

How would the 42s or 52s work with my Arcam AVR200 and Rel Q100 ?

Oh, and is it possible to use the 42W for fronts ?

Thinking that 2x42/52 front + 1x42C (or 122C) + 2x42W is looking real good......

Thanx,
BJ (Made in Denmark :)

I don't own the 42's, but have demoed them several times and they sound fantastic! Uncle Eric (and others) reckon using the same speakers all round to get the best sound. So get 42's everywhere and don't worry about a slight reduction in bass over 52's. The REL will take care of the low-end just fine.

Yep, I'd agree - go for 42s all 'round but I'd definitely use the 42C (in the centre) and 42W (at the rear) because, unlike the standard 42, they have front firing ports which is essential if they are going be used in cabinets/close to walls (which most centre and surround speakers are).

So, 42s left and right, 42C centre, 42Ws for surround - a great set up IMO.

Matt.

Thanks, guys !

So, can I use 42W for the front in order to put them close to the wall, or should I stick with regular 42s ?

I was thinking/hoping that the only difference between 42s and 52s would be in the bass department, which the Rel should handle anyway..... (which saves me £178 :) )

BJ (Danes don't lie)

Originally posted by triplebj
So, can I use 42W for the front in order to put them close to the wall, or should I stick with regular 42s?

Yeah, sorry - I forgot about this part of your question. I see no reason why the 42Ws shouldn't be able to be used as front left and rights.

Having said that, if you are able to compare the 42s and the 42Ws in stereo then I'd definitely do this just in case the 42s are notably better.

Matt.

Depends how close to that wall. Regular 42's need about 30-40 cm from wall to avoid (some) boom. They aren't the fussiest speakers out there..... Personally I reckon the regulars will sound best in front. The 42W's are surely a slightly compromised design by Dynaudio to tame unruly bass on your rear wall? Use the regular 42's up front, they are wonderful. They probably come with foam bungs to fill the rear port and tune the bass too.

Regular 42's will sound great with music too. The original design called for rear port, so it must be good.

Thanks again for the input !

Surprisingly, the Dynaudio Installation Tips page (http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/instal.htm) says :
"There should be a minimum distance of 1.2 inches from the back of the speaker to the rear wall (or back of the cabinet), as well the same minimum distance (1.2 inches) from the top of the speaker to the above shelf or wall. There is no requirement regarding space to the sides of the compact monitor loudspeaker"

So it looks like the regular 42 can be wall mounted like this : http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2002/loudspeakers/image_036.shtml

And, they sure look good in silver http://www.highendstudio.fi/dynaudio/audience42silver.htm

Any opinion on the 42s versus M&K S85 ?

BJ the Viking :)

BJ: I use four Dynaudio 42W for the rear surround with two IMF monitors for the front and a REL Stadium woofer. Temporarily I have a B&W LCR60 for the centre and I must say aside from the centre speaker, all the rest of them blended together very well.

Just over a week ago I installed two new Bryson amplifiers, unfortunatley the front left channel of the new SST 4B was faulty and took out one of my IMF monitors, so I moved two of the 42W's to the front and changed the crossover point on the REL to compensate. Although the 42W's are not quite the same as the IMF monitors, I can vouch for the fact that they are incredibly smooth and can generate an awsome cinema experience.

Chris

Just to say, that i really like Dynaudio speakers.
I have listened to a few models & enjoyed each demo.
I used to own a pair of their studio monitoring speakers (BM5)
They had excellent clarity.
I would always give Dynaudio the time of day.
The Contour 1.3MKII's are some of the best stand mounters i've heard in their price bracket.

Adzman

Originally posted by Adzman
Just to say, that i really like Dynaudio speakers.
I have listened to a few models & enjoyed each demo.
I used to own a pair of their studio monitoring speakers (BM5)
They had excellent clarity.
I would always give Dynaudio the time of day.
The Contour 1.3MKII's are some of the best stand mounters i've heard in their price bracket.

Adzman

I'll second that - the Contour 1.3Mk II's are glorious speakers. They're the only standmounters that could compete with the ATC Active 10's I ended up buying, for neutrality, transparency, detail, dynamics, and just general "rightness" to the sound. (Believe me, I heard a LOT of quality standmounts.)

Dunc

Dunc.
Your ATC speakers are something i've always wanted to hear.
Their recent AV speaker (Concept) ranges have interested me.
I've only heard excellent things about them.
They have to be good, as the Dynaudio Contours are superb.

Not many people around here have ATC speakers.

Nice one.

Adzman.

ATC Active 10s - very nice - I see they do a matching active centre speaker now.

I did suggest the Active 10s for a possible power buy (along with Genelec 1030/HT206) and Eric was going to look into it.

Matt.

Yeah, they're my pride and joy. :) Truly, some of the best standmounters out there. I spent MONTHS listening to dozens of different high end standmounters and the two that really grabbed me were the Dynaudio Contours and the ATC Active 10's. The only catch was, at the time the Contours were £300 dearer, and the Active 10's were, well, active. :) My amplifier at the time wouldn't have done justice to the Contours, and I couldn't afford a nicer one, so I was happy to go for the active ATC's with their 250-watts of seriously nice amplification built in. :D I somehow managed to scrounge up enough cash to get the matching CA-2 pre-amp for £750 (ouch!), which is perfect.

The coolest thing was, I got my Active 10's for £995, and two weeks later ATC bumped up the price by £300! :D

But yeah, my next step is to get a subwoofer, and although I loved the stunning Velodyne HGS-12, it's a bit too steep for me, even on Power Buy... If I could only get a demo of the Concept 2 sub, I would snap it up - I'm sure it sounds great, but I would always hesitate to shell out £1100 for something you haven't heard before! :p

I would also love to get my hands on the matching centre speaker (which is actually the Concept 4 centre), but it costs so much - £1800!!

I've demo'd an AV setup consisting of Active 10's for fronts and rears, the C4 centre, and the Concept 4 subwoofer (a 50kg 650-watt goliath) and it was the most amazing thing I've ever heard... :D One day... one day...

Dunc

Dunc..

Yes, i like the look of the ATC range....their Concept packages look cool. I chatted to a bloke the other week, who i met via a mate (he's into studio recording) & he was going ape over the ATC Concept range....A real enthusiastic fellow!
I think that you did the right thing by purchasing the active set.
Saves spending a couple of grand on a quality power amp!

I would DEFINITELY NOT rule out buying a Velodyne Subwoofer.
My HGS-18 is a block destroyer....
Heaven knows what it will do when it's setup for good, positioned correctly, tweaked & run in.....
The power buy prices are great!...i paid full £2700 price for my
HGS-18!!!....(just before Eric introduced the power-buys!!!!!)

:mad:

When Eric, Nic Rhodes et al are preaching the Servo gospel, it has to be considered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

You cant beat a 1270 watt amp!

Adzman

Hehe, don't get me wrong - I would kill for a Velodyne HGS. It's just that I'm only a poor student (heh) and I'm already spending a good wad of cash buying my mate's projector just now, so my options for subwoofer spending are unfortunately limited... Although £1700 for an HGS-12 (and £1850 for a -15!) is definitely a good deal, I would REALLY have to stretch my budget to breaking point to be able to afford it... I'd much rather save £600 and go for the ATC, I think. I just don't want to do it without a demo first, and there doesn't seem to be any way for me to do so... :(

Dunc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom