Dynamic tone mapping and projectors

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Dolby cinema is the closest you'll get but it is nowhere near proper HDR. I dont recall the nits on DC but it is not far off proper SDR.
As for normal cinema, it is calibrated to 14ftl as I recall, so not very bright at all.

HDR is just a mess. The more we delve into it, the more non standardised it is outside of £989484984 reference monitor

DB9S

HDR is just a mess. The more we delve into it, the more non standardised it is outside of £989484984 reference monitor
Which is why I prefer solutions on projectors that give the impression and impact of HDR over simple tone mapping to the range of SDR.
Sony for example say their system, whilst not set and forget (which is absurd in 2021), is meant to keep as near as possible to director intent.
So if that means there isn't as much granularity to an explosion or a tiny biy of shadow detail is missing, then I am not that bothered.
On moving pictures the downside can be a few frames out of thousands so no real issue there to me, but I can see how there would be if someone is a pathological pauser who scrutinises every scene looking for every bit of detail in an explosion, that in real life you would squint and turn away from.....

defl

Novice Member
If you want to stream things rather than play files and have a beamer that doesn't do HDR tone mapping (like me) then I would like to shamelessly plug a bit of open source software I wrote to fix this problem for me called VideoProcessor 😇. There's a decent thread over at the neighbors on it's development.

AceVPD

Standard Member
If you want to stream things rather than play files and have a beamer that doesn't do HDR tone mapping (like me) then I would like to shamelessly plug a bit of open source software I wrote to fix this problem for me called VideoProcessor 😇. There's a decent thread over at the neighbors on it's development.
Sounds really good. But in practice how would it be useful if doesn't work with HDCP content?

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom