Dynamic range

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by lmccauley, Jan 3, 2007.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I spent a couple of hours taking photos in Edinburgh today (after recovering from the Hogmanay celebrations), and found it difficult getting a good exposure with the bright blue sky and generally dark buildings. Aperture mode kept blowing the sky, so I went to full manual so I could see exactly what was happening. I found that if I metered off the buildings, the sky was blown, but if I metered off the sky, the buildings were very dark. I ended up metering so that the sky wasn't quite blown (using the histogram and highlights feature in preview mode), and recovering the dark details in Adobe Lightroom using the "Fill Light" adjustment. Unfortunately, that has increased the noise on the pictures.

Did I do anything wrong? Any alternative suggestions for metering better in those conditions? I wish camera manufacturers would concentrate more on improving the dynamic range of the sensors, rather than squeezing more megapixels out of them!

Cheers,
    Liam

2. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Have you thought about using filters? A polariser would take 2 stops out of the sky. Or an ND4 grad would do the same.
    Not sure what else to suggest apart from maybe bracketing exposures and then layer the images - HDR style if you are into that sort of PPing?

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I didn't realise that about a polarising filter. A graduated filter would still have been a problem for most shots, because there was typically a church spire or castle sticking above the skyline :). I shall certainly investigate a polarising filter though.

I did think about HDR, but I didn't have my tripod with me to get identical composition. I'll see if any are close enough, and give them a try in PS.

Thanks,
    Liam

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Outside of HDR and you could try generating two copies from RAW for the high and lowlights and then blending as described here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml
    If the RAWs don't work there is a neat layer align feature in the CS3 beta which i've found to be a great help with lining up similar images which can then be blended as above