1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynamic range of power amp section of most receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MattTheCat, Jan 8, 2005.

1. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could anyone please tell me the typical dynamic range you get from an AV receiver's power amplifier?

Thanks.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Dolby Digital Reference Level is 105db peaks from the main channels and 115db from the LFE channel (121db if all speakers are set to small). Whether your system is actually capable of this in your room is a different matter though. Not many subs can hit those levels (THX Ultra2 subs can). Most THX rated Amps/Receivers and THX speakers are required to be able to hit those levels with minimal or no distortion up to a certain room size. THX Select for smaller rooms, THX Ultra and Ultra2 for larger rooms.

AV Amps/Receivers should also have quoted Dynamic Range and Signal to Noise Ratios but that will vary from brand to brand and also whether the signal is digital or analogue. As an example the new Flagship Denon 5805 (A1XV) has a quoted 117db Dynamic Range and 125db SNR, Total Harmonic Distortion 0.003% (1khz at 0db), Rated Output 2V (at 0db Playback) for a digital signal. Analogue is typically lower at around 105db Dynamic Range, Distortion of 0.005% (20hz-20khz Direct Mode).

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But is that the dynamic range of the power amplifier, preamplifier, or DAC? They will all act to limit the dynamic range with their own spec. I'm interested in the power amp section, as that seems the difficult section to keep a high dynamic range. Only very very expensive power amps seem to have a dynamic range that could cope with the SACD and DVD-Audio's potential.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I'd assume that's a combination of all the elements. I'm pretty sure in the case of the DAC's in the Denon (Burr Brown PCM1792) that the specs mentioned Dynamic Range up to 132db. Some info here:-

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/dsd1792.html

I don't doubt that manufacturer's play the numbers game though, lol.