1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dynamic range expander?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by chrisgeary, Oct 27, 2005.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    in pro-audio, you can buy kit to compress or expand the dynamic range of audio. has anyone ever tried hooking one up to their CD player?

When I go to live gigs, the dynamic range, particularly with bass drums, is very pronounced and I sometimes wonder if it is possible to somewhat recreate that with a processor of some kind.

I'm guessing the answer is "no, it wouldn't work" as it would also modulate background noise and other instruments - creating the opposite of the dipping effect commonly heard on radio due to the high levels of dynamic range compression used?

Just curious :)

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Devices like this made their way into home audio briefly in the 70's,with things like dbx's range of dynamic expanders etc....the problem with all was that of not only incerasing artificially the dynamic range,but also,as you've noted,expanding background noise,and causing "pumping" of the background noise levels,as the unit attempts to track the music.

You're right that so much of CD these days is severely limited,but short of live music,there seems to be no alternative.