1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Dynamic Range Compression Note

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was listening to 'Reign of Fire' yesterday at fairly high levels (-15Db on 3802 with P-25 Power-amp) and used this opportunity to test out the DRC setting on my AMP. I have three settings, Low - Med - High. I chose Low. I think that very heavy settings (High or 100%) should only really be used when listening late at night with a baby asleep upstairs!

Much to my surprise, I found the setting was rather useful. I had some pre-conception that it may destroy 'the purist' feel of Home Cinema but I was wrong. Voices were indeed highly intelligible and the bass (although present) was less overwhelming; almost better blended into the soundtrack. You could definitely tell that there was a difference in sound but it was still rather involving and did not destroy the soundtrack in anyway.

Dolby Digital soundtracks are usually not mixed appropriately (or specifically) for the home market. Which is why on most action DVD's you will find that you can have the volume set quite high to obtain intelligible dialogue but, as a side effect, this comes with massively overwhelming sound effects. This isn't really a 'bad' mixing issue rather more a 'straight from print' version of the sound track. If any of you have been to see the new 'James Bond' or 'Lord of the Rings' in a Dolby Digital equipped Cinema, you will notice that the dialogue is of a normal and comfortable level and that the rest of the soundtrack is hugely explosive; James Bond actually had me covering my ears at one point!

Therefore, its no wonder that most people have to crank up the volume to hear the dialogue on the DVD version but 'ride the remote' when big special effects scenes appear. For this reason alone, Dolby Digital incorporated dynamic range compression on all of its tracks allowing you to watch films at high levels without reaching for the remote. From what I have read, its quite a sophisticated and clever piece of technology which, on certain films, I will be using.

As for the purists out there, well, there's no argument really. Yes, it is being processed and the dynamic range of soundtracks has been altered to 'up' higher frequencies and 'down' lower frequencies, Therefore its not as pure. However, for listening at loud levels on a majority of consumer equipment that struggle to reach reference levels and maintain quality, DRC is the answer.

Dolby would class the use of DRC as 'typical' and expect it to be used in the consumer market for listening to DVD's. It done a fabulous job last night on 'Reign of Fire' and would recommend auditioning a loud-score film (at loud volume levels) with this on and then off. As said before, I found that the soundtrack level was clear and comfortable and I did not wrestle with the remote once when SFX-heavy scenes appeared.

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi! Nice information... But, is that available in all amps with dolby digital decoder? I have a Yamaha 530, and didn't find that option though I read the whole book (yes, I did, but not all at once!). I am interested because I live in a flat and I don't want to bother the neighbours late at night. It looks like the right way to go.

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good question.

As I understand it, as part of Dolby's spec, all decoders need to understand and be able to handle DRC encoded into the bit-stream but whether they have to supply an option on the decoder to adjust it (or even turn it on or off) is another question.

My guess is that not all amps have the ability but most will.

4. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Ok, I will search for info... Just out of curiosity... Which amp do you have?

5. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv got a Denon 3802.

Do you know, I dont remember seeing the option on my friends 420 Yammy either.....

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would suggest that the mute button would do a better job on that film.

7. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

Ahhhhh - what post is complete without Ian's dry sense of humour. :D

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Glad I wasn't the only one - watching die another day in the cinema, it was so loud it was painful at times.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Too true. Die another day was way to loud. The bombastic nature of the soundtrack had me putting ear plugs in for the first time ever at the cinema.
    They happened to be in my pocket as the previous week I had seen -

Voodoo Glow Skulls
    Gold Finger
    and A

at the Bristol Academy. Which despite having seen many of the worlds 'biggest and loudest bands' was probably the loudest gig I have ever ever been to.
    Simply ear achingly loud and my ears did not actually stop rattling for days.
    In fact, I think that I have cranked the old tinitus up a notch or two.

So, I ask myself, why am I building an AV room ???

And wasn't Die another Die absolute *****.

Captain B.

10. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have DRC set to medium with the volume usually around -20db.

11. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I usually just bring the overall volume down and up the centre channel by +4db most of the time. Less distance to go in the menus ;)

But I've just been and tried the DRC (Sony STR-VA555ES) and it is actually quite good on DD5.1 films. Surprised in fact.

Still get a very little rumble from the sub, explosions still sound like explosions, just quieter, but dialogue is spot on. Clever stuff.

Cheers

Ian

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe your center speaker is not up to the task... :rolleyes:

I´ve heard that up to 80% of the info is in the center channel, for films, of course... :eek:

I had similar problems with my previous center, and it was reasonable, Sonus Faber Solo Home, not anymore with my new Proac CC2... :smoke:

13. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing wrong with my centre speaker. :p

What i mean is that at normal listening volumes, explosions etc. are too loud if watching at night.

So, by increasing the level to the centre and then reducing the overall listening volume the explosions are more quiet but the centre channel (dialogue rich) is still at a good level.

Cheers

Ian

14. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    True. I do the same, and I can assure you that my center speaker is very balanced with the front and rear ones in my case, and all of them full range. Usually the surround fields (front or rear, I mean the soundtrack, etc) are very loud and although you can hear the dialogs, at night it becomes impossible without disturbing the whole neightbourhood. So I bought a couple of good headphones, but it is not the same. I would like to know if there is the possibility to have something like a "night mode" in my amp, but as far as I have read (and I think I read everything in the operating instructions), there is nothing like that for my yam 530.

15. kit1cat

kit1cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have a yammy DSP-A5 and there is an option in the Set Menu called D-RANGE, this option is also avaiable in the yammy 630 and 730. I would be very surprised if it is not avaiable in the 530.

Barry

16. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    You are completely right!! Sorry for the exclamation. It is true, I remember it now. I didn't pay attention to it since I didn't understand quite well what I was reading. On the other side, I also was thinking that I had read something about a mode for late at night. Sorry! It is my fault, I should read more carefully...
    Many thanks, indeed