1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynamic Range Compression in Denon - your experiences?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cribeiro, Mar 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hello,

I bought recently a Denon 1905 and I am relatively satisfied with it. This means, it sounds and looks great, but in all other aspects (easy to use, DSPs, instruction manual, remote layout, ...) is beaten by my Yamaha 530, which I sell with a big pain in my heart because it does not have pre-outs.

The most annoying thing is the Dynamic Range Compression. After checking with the Yamaha, I feel that the sound sounds always compressed. No difference if I use it only as pre-amplifier for the fronts or not, no difference if I use center speaker or not. The sound is always compressed, as compared to the Yamaha.

I contacted Denon and they told me that Yamaha and Denon work differently in this: while the Yamaha lowers the highest sounds, the Denon increases the quietest passages, but with same effects. This after I told them that I used my spl meter to check that my ears were not wrong, with a fragment of a movie, comparing how loud it was sounding depending on the setting. I doubt the explanation is right, or I doubt at least it applies to my problem.

Firstly, the Compression should keep the Dialog constant while shrinking the rest, and not what they said... And it cannot apply to my case, because in all settings it sounds the same, no difference at all.

Am I doing something wrong? I am already quite experienced after 2 years with the Yamaha, and I am used to technology, working mostly in front of a computer... I read the manual several times also, and no hint of something done wrong. I even reseted the microprocessor as Denon support suggested and started again from scratch.
    Could it be faulty? Anyone experienced something similar?

I would really like to get your feedback, thank you very much,

Alberto

2. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I definitely noticed a difference on my 3805 when I tried it out with the beach landing on Saving Private Ryan. In truth though I have gone back to the good old method of playing the source at what I consider to be a suitable volume and then making the occasional lunge for the volume when things get a little 'neighbour annoyingly loud'.
    I wouldn't even bother with the setting in the daytime (we are semi detached and the walls seem quite thick), though I can certainly see it's appeal for late night viewings.

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Thanks. This makes me think something should be wrong. I feel no difference.
    I find this option nice for watching movies late at night too. And I would not bother about day watching, but the point is that it sounds always compressed...

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +925
    The DRC on the Denon will lower the dynamic range so that gunshots, explosions etc are not as loud yet it will also bring up the level of the quieter ambient sounds so you can hear them easily. Instead of having full dynamic range you'll have a controlled range. Check out Fig 4 in the article linked below to see what I mean.

Have a read of this as it explains it all in depth.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/feature-article-dialog-normalization-6-2000.html

The Denon has several settings (OFF, Low, Mid and High) with High being the most compressed. Low can work quite well if you're listening around -15db/-20db below Reference. If you want no compression then leave it OFF. :)

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Thanks, Jase. I had already read that article (also from a link in this forum, of course :thumbsup: ), and that is what I was expecting. Actually, I am pretty sure that this is what my Yamaha was doing (the raising of the quiet passages is not as easy to realize), but the Denon does not. Worst of all, in "OFF" it sounds as compressed as the maximum compression in the Yamaha :(
    I will have to contact the seller. This is where the purchase by internet becomes annoying :(
    Best regards,

Alberto