1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dynamic mode on a viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rooney, Sep 9, 2004.

1. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    is any one 100% certain about dynamic mode reducing the life expectancy
    of the unit spoke to panansonic they said it doesnt and also one of the guys at john lewis he said it doesnt however some of the people on say it does
    do we have a defanate answer if its on the tv surely it cant be that bad
    other wise they wouldnt put it on and they would have loads of people complaining to panasonic

2. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with you. If you like the dymamic setting use it. Panasonic didn't put it on the set for the fun of it!
    Also if you use Auto mode in a bright room the contrast and brightness get pushed up to high levels also, so can you not use this setting either?
    I bet if you just left it switched off, it would last forever. :laugh:

3. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    i'm about to get mine in 30 mins,any tips for a first time user.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I asked the same question a couple of weeks back.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146714&highlight=dynamic

I hope you get a better response than I did :)

To answer your question, I tend to use dynamic if the ambient light is quite bright (not that often as I work during the day) otherwise I tend to use Cinema for 97% of my viewing and find that gives me the perfect picture, I haven't really bothered with Normal or Auto, other than setting them up with DVE.

One thing that does make sense to me though is the advice to back the contrast and brightness levels down from the factory settings, whatever viewing mode you decide to use.

S.

5. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    its a stunning looking tv,i have mine on dynamic at the moment and will have a bit of a play around later,i watched a bit of empire strikes back just now and the pic quality was excellent,none of the flashing or lines i used to get on my old tv.

6. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had my PE30 for just over a month now. I used to have it set in Normal mode, with the brightness up to about 3 quarters of the way in order to make the screen bright enough for day time viewing, unfortunately my set is quite near a large patio window and the bright light can make the picture look dark.
    However come night time and the picture was a bit bright, and displayed the dancing green dots on dark scenes where the brightness was to high.
    A few days ago I started to use the auto setting. I have found if you press the 'N' button on the remote to get the settings back to standard. Then I have turned the contrast down by a few clicks, the brightness up by one click and the colour down by two clicks. This is probably the best picture combination I have found. In the day time the picture is nice and bright as the sensor on the front works out how much light is in the room and at night time it tones its self down, with no dancing green pixels. It also appears to have cured the green cast I was experiancing earlier.
    Owners of the PE30, try this setting and tell me what you think. It might not be right for everyone, but for those of you with your set by a big window, it might be the ticket.

7. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will try. For now I'm using the settings I changed in normal mode, using the video calibration menu on StarWars episode 1 dvd. The contrast is wayyyy down (about 15 to 20%) and brightness is a bit higher (some 30%). This is great :thumbsup: for dvd but a tiny little bit dark for tv. Doesn't botter though.

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Dynamic mode has the contrast on the picture up to 100%
    A contrats level this high crushes white detail in the picture.With static images on the screen such as tv channel logos , images on a video game, football scores in the corner of the screen , a high contrast level may cause screen image retention or screen burn. I personaly have been advised to keep the contrast at a level of between halfway and three quaters. The brightness level and colur and sharpness have all been set using digital video essentials dvd. I have tried using the auto mode. It seems to me that some times the tv doesnt quite know what to do and the picture can get a little dull when you need it to be bright.
    A plasma tv or display panal is a decaying device. That means, and experts please correct me if I am wrong, that after so many hours of use the panal will get to about half the brightness of what it was new. Keeping the contrast and brightness at lower levels , and this is not to everones taste, is a way to increase the life expentancy of our new toys :D . A properly calibrated plasma which has been done by an ISF calibration tec , will have the brightness and contrast down to the half way mark !!
    Also and this is just my opinon, the default mode on the plasma out of the box is the dynamic mode. Panasonic want there plasma to stand out in a crowd. A nice bright image on a plasma in dixons or currys will do this :rolleyes:

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Rooney - if you run the display at 100% contrast it will reach its half brightness level much quicker than running it at say 70%.

I'd hate to think what you boys are actually watching if your running these units in 'dynamic' mode all the time; were not talking reference colour fidelity in these settings.

Its interesting that so many of you have gone with Panasonic for use in high ambient lighting conditions - the Panasonic Display's are at there best in very low ambient lighting; otherwise any advantage they have in Black level is destroyed.

Keep in mind your 4000:1 contrast ratio Display very quickly becomes a 100:1 contrast ratio Display once you start to introduce a bit of ambient light.

I'd be investing in some window shades or blinds if you want to actually 'see' a decent image on your TV during the day.

Best regards

Joe

10. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    is it not just down to personal taste to how the tv looks as you could come round to my house calibrate the tv properly and through my eyes it may look worse than before you came kinda like some people like blue cars and some like red

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Rooney

As you say personal choice/preference has a role in these things! though I prefer to try and get the TV/Display set to some approximation of referance colour, brightness, contrast etc and them let the 'Production Team' of the movie I'm watching set the 'look' of individual movies.

I fine settings like 'dynamic' make everything 'look' the same and that destroys the 'cinematography' of a movie.

Its also very true to say that most folk will find a calibrated Display 'looks' muted at first - though watch a few movies and some TV on it and then try and go back to dynamic mode :)

You asked about running the Display in Dynamic mode and the simple answer is it will 'wear' out quicker and be more prone to screen burn.

Best regards

Joe

PS Oralndo - Dynamic is on the set to enable these displays to be used in High Ambient lighting setting as Digital Sign boards.

12. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    if this is the case how come none of the technical bods at pansonic will admit it and why will john lewis still honur there 5yr guarante against a tv wich once in dynamic mode is suposedly on self destruct

13. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I was originally shopping for a plasma, I had loads of questions and concerns and read this forum for about 8 months before I made my decision.
    I ended up chosing the 37" Viera over the PW6 because of looks, practicality and I only wanted a 37" picture. I know the PW6 is physically the same size, but the picture is still bigger and wasn't suited to the room. However I digress.
    What I am getting at is all my original concerns like picture size, screen burn, solaisation, dot crawl etc, are really not an issue at all. I can catergorically state my only concern about this screen is it's dullness. Yet nobody has mentioned this until very recently.
    Every magazine gives it 5 stars and only marks it down on sound, which I find strange as I think the sound is very good.
    Today I read in 'What home entertainment' and they are the only ones that have stated that the picture is 'pallid' compared to rivals.
    You only have to view the 'get your plasmas out' thread on this forum to see what I mean. In one of the last pages a guy has his Hitachi screen on show, with a picture of a new reader on the screen. This screen looks so much more bright and viberant than the Pannys or Pioneers, see for yourself, as on the same page someone else has got a picture of his Pioneer and the picture is dull in comparision.
    As I say this is the only thing I am unhappy about on my screen.

14. john.hem

john.hem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi, a friend has just got a 37 Viera, and I'm sorely tempted. When switching it on it takes a few seconds to come on and the red light flashes while doing this. Is this correct?

John :)

15. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, perfectly normal.

16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yep, that's what mine does. :)

S.

17. Gagzi

Gagzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi guys!

This is my first post at this forum. Just joined earlier today. Just thought I'd add in that I've bought a Panasonic TH42PE30B Viera and it is amazing.

Really good looking and good quality plasma screen. So far this week I've really enjoyed watching it. I've got the stand with it which is excellent.. really makes the screen stand out. I didn't really like the Dynamic mode and mine is on normal with some adjusting done on the contrast and sharpness. Neither of them are on full.

I'm a novice on plasma's as this is my first one but I'm very pleased with the quality and how everything connects together. I've got my Sky digital going through the AV1 scart and my DVD/VCR combo (Panny DMR E75V) going to the AV4 scart. My sky digibox and DVD/VCR are also connected together via scart.

At first I couldn't get the DVB/Freeview stuff to work at all and I was really disappointed. I went into a few stores, such as Richer Sounds and Comet, to find out what I could do but they said that I must not have coverage in my area. After that I logged onto the www.freeview.co.uk and typed in my post code which said that I could receive Freeview without any problems. I had doubts over the TV for a while and as I couldn't figure out why it didn't work.

Well it was nothing to do with the TV, thankfully(!), and it was because my rooftop aerial (had a weak signal), which I initially thought was perfectly fine. Anyway I attached an aerial booster that my dad sells and hey presto-bang.. i have freeview. I didn't really need it cause I have sky but I wanted to see it work and it works really well and the picture quality is excellent!!

So far I haven't had any problems and hopefully I won't. It is a great TV to have and I would advise those that have the cash to buy it. I bought it off of Digital Point/Electro Centre (in Birmingham) for £2,624 and went and picked it up myself last Saturday. I had a bit more cash so I bought the glass stand and the Panasonic DVD/VCR combo with it and it all looks excellent.

I especially love the picture in picture feature as everyone in the house was watching a dvd but I wanted to keep up to date with the footy so we did both! Great stuff.. go get one if you can!!

18. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to go completely off-topic for a moment, but I found your comments interesting... I know a booster will increase the signal strength for analogue broadcasts, but I was always under the impression that the digital signal wasn't affected.

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Rooney

As others have said your Display set to Dynamic is not on 'self destruct' mode but it is charging its way towards lower light output and has the potential for permanent screen burn far quicker than a unit on Standard or (my pre set preference) Cinema mode.

If you look at any Panasonic literature you will see they quote a half life of 60,000 hours - 'DEPENDING ON THE CONTENT OF THE IMAGE DISPLAYED AND THE USAGE ENVIRONMENT'.

Your TV will last 5 years in Dynamic mode (assuming you don't etch any logos into it) but after 5 years full time Dynamic mode it will look less bright than a unit in Cinema mode.

If you have to use Dynamic mode for daytime viewing so be it but I'd definitely move over to Normal or preferably Cinema mode for Night time viewing (that's why they are all on there not to keep it on Dynamic 24/7).

Best regards

Joe

PS No sense asking a question if you don't want to hear the answer :)

20. Gagzi

Gagzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I thought that too but it didn't work before I'd placed the booster on and afterwards it was very good picture quality. I've got no idea if it was anything else but that was the only change that I'd made.

21. Gagzi

Gagzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I agree Joe.. in the evening I've had the setting onto Cinema mode and it looks better. I haven't used Dynamic at all and whenever I do flick through it doesn't appeal to me. Normal or Cinema mode are definately better.

22. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I suspect that it would be viewed as normal wear and tear and not be covered under the warranty. The set would also still be functional, just a little less bright.

-Ian

23. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    If you run it 24hrs a day for 5 years you won't do 60,000 hours.

All Plasma are susceptible to screen burn throughout there life, downside of the technology. Panasonic are one of the best and most resistant to it.

However, most screens are susceptible to screen-burn very early on in life while being run in to circa 100~200 hours. Best to bear mid-contrast and mid-brightness levels if you can for that time.

After that, enjoy. That's why you bought it !

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

Have a look at any Signage Displays the next time your in an Airport, Rail or Bus station lounge you'll see soon enough the havoc running these units in Dynamic mode can cause.

As per my previous post the indicated expected life span will be seriously truncated if you run your display permanently in Dynamic mode.

You'll notice that the Pro models have Peak White limiting mode, Input Level Adjust, Auto Contrast Adjust and Wobbling modes - all of these would normally be used in conjunction with 100% contrast to minimise screen burn; makes the image look horrid but does potentially save your screen.

Best regards

Joe

25. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    i,ve set my set to cinema mode and upped the contrast just alittle and this is where it looks best for me.Just watched a rugby matcha nd the wife commented on how clear and 3 dimensional it looked,just like been there she said,it must be good for the wife to comment,she normally doesnt bother.only problem for us is that on the built in dvb tuner there is no welsh channel 4 only s4c ddigol which has different programmes

26. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Shame :( at least S4C repeat most of the Ch4 stuff late at night, not sure if ddigol does the same. I'm on NTL so get english Ch4 as well as S4C, also get HTV West as well as Wales.

Glad to hear your enjoying the TV :thumbsup:

S.

27. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    steve,one thing i have noticed is little green dots on the screen in the dark scenes,what are these?and can you get rid of them? :smashin:

28. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Short of dropping brightness to low levels not much, from what I've read it's a dithering process common to alot of plasmas. I suggest you sit further away from the screen and the green dots will magically disappear. I've only really seen them when my face is close up to the screen, they don't appear for me under my normal viewing distance.

S.

29. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,556
    yeah i only noticed them when i put a dvd in,when i sit back they are no where to be seen.