Dynamic Mode & Dynamic Contrast Setting on Samsung Plasma TV

MrKennedy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been fiddling with settings on my samsung plasma lately and am growing quite fond of "dynamic mode"... Whilst i know this isnt keen on being used by most due to the inaccurate colour reproduction, white balance, blue push & loads more etc ... Coming from myself who also disliked this setting alot before now! Yet after seeing alot of LCD LED hdtv's at use at work i think it has pushed me over into making my eyes quite "accept" a vivid looking picture. I like the blue push of colour, i like the gleaming white and i like the overall brightness or contrast should i say.

However, my concern lies with IR & screenburn its what worries me the most....and this is where my question lies.......
Whilst i have pixelshift enabled, i have tweaked the dynamic settings which were preset ... Lowering the cell light to 16 from 20, sharpness to 10 from 50, contrast from 100 to 85 and brightness to 51... Whilst most other settings are greyed out in the menu option, the only other thing that can be changed is the colour temp (cool or normal - i use normal)...
I have tried to create a simular looking picture in the movie mode setting but this is difficult as blues, whites and yellows are quite "off" so to speak either to warm or too cool no matter what colour temp i seem to use (normal, cool, warm 1/2)...
Here are the setting i use in movie mode: Cell light 18/20, contrast 92/100, brightness 54/100, sharpness 10/100, colour 50, gamma +2, dynamic contrast-medium, colour space-native, screenfit, cinema smooth enabled... Everything else off or disabled.

My question is- is it better to just use dynamic n tweak the settings?.. Or use movie mode n try too tweak that (as i already have been to no avail - yet!)
I am finding i am adjusting the settings for every movie i watch in movie mode.. Debating colour temp, trying to find a good match in movie mode yet in dynamic mode it seems easier ... Sometimes its too yellow, sometimes its too blue, other times its white with movie mode .... I also am concerned over shadow detail whilst in dynamic mode it appears the clarity is fantastic n vivid looking the crispness of the image wins out Yet in movie mode there is a more inbetween area too light and dark and that seems to carry slightly more detail...

How do leds make there image so crisp? ... With a good level of white and vividness yet still keep contrast brightness even?
Im hoping someone can help me out though i do understand how difficult a job im making... Basically, i would like to achieve a vivid bright, clear and sharp LED style picture within a plasma (with the perks that a plasma has of fast motion clarity and good black level) And can it be done in dynamic mode or can it be achieved in movie mode?...

Many thanks!

Any help would be most appreciated if anyone uses dynamic mode... i hope this can spark some interest

Just to ADD:: I am using hd source (blurays) via a samsung 3d bluray player

Last edited:
Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

First of all it's your tv so you have it the way you like it, but Dynamic is going to increase the risk of IR and create an unnatural look to the picture.
The crisp whites you are seeing are indeed being created by pushing the blue in much the same way as washing powder advertisers do.
The best setting is the likes of Movie or Cinema when the picture being created is as it should be, after all take a look outside the colours are natural and not vivid like those being produced by the Dynamic mode on your Sammy.

Vivid, bright or LED don't go with Plasma.
Dynamic modes are a waste IMO, as it's all OTT and fake.

First of all it's your tv so you have it the way you like it, but Dynamic is going to increase the risk of IR and create an unnatural look to the picture.
The crisp whites you are seeing are indeed being created by pushing the blue in much the same way as washing powder advertisers do.
The best setting is the likes of Movie or Cinema when the picture being created is as it should be, after all take a look outside the colours are natural and not vivid like those being produced by the Dynamic mode on your Sammy.

Thankyou, out of curiousity how would i keep the blue push yet keep it in movie mode? Can i adjust the white balance so blue gain/blue offset would be higher? Thanks.

This interests me - I prefer the vivid setting as well
I currently have a 4 year Sumsung LCD A656 and I tried all the recommended settings on AV Forums but went back to vivid showroom setting ( To my eyes it just looks better sad I know but I just prefer it )
I am thinking of getting the Samsung D6900 plasma so I am interested if you can get a vivid setting approaching a LED
I prefer a bright vivid picture I don't like drawing the curtains during the day or switching off the lights at night and I'm worried the D6900 may be too dark
Do you think this TV will be suitable for me ?

Thankyou, out of curiousity how would i keep the blue push yet keep it in movie mode? Can i adjust the white balance so blue gain/blue offset would be higher? Thanks.

Trust me stick to what i said and in no time you will get used to the more natural settings.:)

Thanks. I tried watching a bluray last night, it was an animated movie bit like finding nemo ... I found with gamma at +1 it made the picture too contrasty.. Like a high washed out sheet over the top of the image i turned gamma down to 0 and it seem to fix the problem.

I am using dynamic contrast on medium, movie mode, gamma set at 0, contrast at 90 with brightness at 55... I wonder are these settings okay? .... I also like to use native colour space as it gives more pop!..

The only thing i notice is the image isnt quite as sharp as id like it to be?... I had sharpness at 15 any higher and it seems to induce artifacts on certain movies, how can i make it sharper?... I did turn off edge enhancement and it seemed abit better after that.. Would this soften the image? I thought it would make it sharper?!

Thanks

Thanks. I tried watching a bluray last night, it was an animated movie bit like finding nemo ... I found with gamma at +1 it made the picture too contrasty.. Like a high washed out sheet over the top of the image i turned gamma down to 0 and it seem to fix the problem.

I am using dynamic contrast on medium, movie mode, gamma set at 0, contrast at 90 with brightness at 55... I wonder are these settings okay? .... I also like to use native colour space as it gives more pop!..

The only thing i notice is the image isnt quite as sharp as id like it to be?... I had sharpness at 15 any higher and it seems to induce artifacts on certain movies, how can i make it sharper?... I did turn off edge enhancement and it seemed abit better after that.. Would this soften the image? I thought it would make it sharper?!

Thanks

Edge enhancement adds a row of pixels hiding detail as does too much sharpness. Is it sharpness or detail thats lacking? LCD isnt sharper than you plasma it just looks that way due to the high contrast and brightness people see them at. Dynamic modes will increase the chance of IR loose colour accuracy and lose you detail at the top end(whites) and crush blacks in the lower end. Your set though:)

Edge enhancement adds a row of pixels hiding detail as does too much sharpness. Is it sharpness or detail thats lacking? LCD isnt sharper than you plasma it just looks that way due to the high contrast and brightness people see them at. Dynamic modes will increase the chance of IR loose colour accuracy and lose you detail at the top end(whites) and crush blacks in the lower end. Your set though:)

Thanks, but how can i give the picture more pop without using "dynamic contrast" though?... IR does concern me, i just want more pop... Unatural colours dont bother me too much so long as there not yellow skin tones or red lobsters of course! ;)

Thanks, but how can i give the picture more pop without using "dynamic contrast" though?... IR does concern me, i just want more pop... Unatural colours dont bother me too much so long as there not yellow skin tones or red lobsters of course! ;)

Try pro mode with 2.4 gamma and up the contrast a bit, just be careful of IR if the sets new. You can also play with the white balance if you want more blue. The set will improve over time as black levels improve youll get more depth.

I remember when I moved from LCD to my first plasma, I too believed that the plasma was lacking pop and sharpness in the overall picture.
If your used to LCD/LED and start watching a plasma, it does seem a little softer because the LCD/LED do tend to have the sharpness quiet high (even when you adjust the sharpness control quiet low) and pixel noise can also give you a misinterpretation of a sharp picture.
In truth, this isn't really welcomed and would depend on the viewing distance.
The way I see it is, it's your TV your the one who payed for it and your going to be watching it so you can adjust the picture settings however you please.
If you like the vivid mode then so be it, just enjoy and appreciate the set.
It took me a little while to get used to a plasma picture but when you start to understand more about an accurate image and what an image should look like, it will take over as your viewing preference. In my opinion no sharp or pop full image can come close to a correctly set up TV.

Try pro mode with 2.4 gamma and up the contrast a bit, just be careful of IR if the sets new. You can also play with the white balance if you want more blue. The set will improve over time as black levels improve youll get more depth.

Thanks guys, i think it has to do with me seeing alot of leds/lcds at work, when i come home my plasma just lacks abit of that pop effect. However, i do love my tv, im not taking anything away from it .....

I am interested in what you stated... What is Pro mode? As my tv only has movie, standard or dynamic mode?...

The other thing is, the gamma settings on my tv only have -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3 .... Which would give me 2.4?!... Sorry im not too great with these things.

And lastly, as for the white balance if i wanted more blue would i just up the b-gain option? As there are settings for r-gain, g-gain, b-gain & r-offset, g-offset, b-offset...

Many thanks guys! :)

Thanks guys, i think it has to do with me seeing alot of leds/lcds at work, when i come home my plasma just lacks abit of that pop effect. However, i do love my tv, im not taking anything away from it .....

I am interested in what you stated... What is Pro mode? As my tv only has movie, standard or dynamic mode?...

The other thing is, the gamma settings on my tv only have -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3 .... Which would give me 2.4?!... Sorry im not too great with these things.

And lastly, as for the white balance if i wanted more blue would i just up the b-gain option? As there are settings for r-gain, g-gain, b-gain & r-offset, g-offset, b-offset...

Many thanks guys! :)

Sorry thinking panasonic, thats what happens when you post in multiple threads whilst at work.:suicide:
For gamma 2.4 on your set try asking on the owners thread or check the reviews. You could just try them all and see:) a gamma of 2.2 is ideal, but you can go a bit higher. Going too high with gamma can loose you detail, too low will washout the picture. Most sets dont do gamma exact, ideally its a good idea to at least use a calibration disc to check you arent losing anything, you also chang brightness and contrast to get what you want.

Okay cool, so stick to movie mode then im guessing... When i tried gamma @ +1 it did seem to wash out the picture with contrast at 90 and brightness at 55... Though better when i left it at 0, when i put it to -1 i find it too dark and loose pop and brightness :( ... I will try upping contrast though and see how it goes.... Just about white balance so will increasing the b-gain raise the blue level? Or do i need to tweak them all?..

And just about the cell light will it hurt being higher than 16? As itsmax is 20...

Sorry dont know about the cell light. You need a contrast and a brightness scale if changing gamma, brightness and contrast, only way to see if youre clipping whites or crushing blacks. What images are you using whilst altering settings? It can take a long time changing brightness contrast and gamma to get what you want, theyre all linked, you cant just change one or two of them.

My concern over IR has got the better of me, after watching afew blurays i have noticed the picture is actually quite sharp n clear with dynamic contrast off... In comparison from movie mode to dynamic i do see its abit OTT and i think i was trying to illuminate the picture too much so even shadow detail looked like daylight!...

ive put contrast still at 90 though read that 87 is highest it can go without causing clipping!... Brightness at 55, if i put it at 57 i end up gettin dithering pixels in the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen which i cant really pick out from afar but knowing they are there really bugs me so max ill go is 56 for brightness. Ive put sharpness to 10 as that seems alright for minimal artifiact intrusion..
As for dynamic contrast ive set it too off for the meantime as it does add IR ive noticed :( .... Though gives more pop... Gamma still at 0... I think the cinema smooth function raises black level from 0.06 to 0.13 or something or other so i read in a flaw topic on this forum section about my tv, so really gamma adjustment isnt really needed i assume.... Unless i want greyer blacks?! . . . I changed colour temp from normal to warm2 as well as it seemsto be better as well, though depends on the movie i think..
Lastly i do prefer native colour space over auto... I just like that it gives abit more pop! . . . . What does native colour space actually do?!... :) if anyone could explain that would be great.

Thanks for all the help peeps ;) much appreciated.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom