Dynamic eq (deq) on denon 2700 causes low centerspeaker volume

canonsvogel

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a denon avr-x2700h, as I am satisfied with my denon avr-x1700h in my other room. On the 1700 I have deq enabled, as I find the audio much warmer and overall better sounding. Thus it was one of the main reasons I chose the denon 2700 for my other room. (Needed 2 hdmi out so thats why i bought a 2700 instead of another 1700).

After I setup and ran the audyssey it directly made clear that de volume of the center speaker is much lower that it should. I found out that when I turn deq off, the center speaker sounds as it should. The dialogue is hardly hearble when deq is off.
When I increase the center speaker with about 4db the centerspeaker volume is about the same as when I disable deq. It seems like the deq increases the volume of the background?

The 1700 did this all by itself, while the 2700 didnt.

Is this normal? Why didnt the 2700 raise the center 4db when deq is enabled? I trust the cumputer to be more precise than my ears. Thats why I prefer it to let audyssey do it correct in the first place.

I already tried:
1. Mulltiple audyssey measurements made. (Used the carton tripod that came with the receiver)
2. Placed the center speaker on multiple locations.
3. Pulled the foam out of the ports on the centerspeaker (made it worse).
4. Reset of the receiver.
5. Enabling dynamic volume (made it worse)

Your sincerly,
canonsvoge

Last edited:
The centre speaker needs to be at least level with the av stand and pointing at ear level. You can also increase the gain after running Audyssey. Can you post pics of the Audyssey screens?

Are you sure you are not confusing Dynamic EQ with Dynamic Volume?
Dynamic EQ does not alter the volume of the centre channel, but Dynamic Volume will.

If you are listening at a normal level and switch Dynamic Volume on, you should notice that the dialogue volume level will increase. Now you turn the volume back to where it was before and it also turns all the other channels down by the same amount, making the difference in volume between quiet passages and loud passages less.

The default settings after running Audyssey are:
Dynamic EQ - ON
Dynamic Volume - OFF

A more in depth look:-
Audyssey Dynamic EQ & Dynamic Volume explained

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Here are my pictures.
I dont confuse dynamic volume and dynamic eq. Thus can be seen in the pictures. Dynamic eq does make the centerspeaker less hearable.

Your sincerly,
canonsvogel

Attachments

• 20220102_121045.jpg
    20220102_121045.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 20220102_121026.jpg
    20220102_121026.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 20220102_121002.jpg
    20220102_121002.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 20220102_120932.jpg
    20220102_120932.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 202
  • 20220102_120858.jpg
    20220102_120858.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Here are my pictures.
I dont confuse dynamic volume and dynamic eq. Thus can be seen in the pictures. Dynamic eq does make the centerspeaker less hearable.

Your sincerly,
Bram van Manen
That's Audyssey setting the levels to attain a 75dB reference at your main listening position. The only way to check it's accuracy is to just a dB meter at that position. There is nothing wrong with you lifting those levels post calibration to suit your own tastes, this in no way will effect the room calibration results.

It would be handy to see a photograph of your front three speakers in their current positions. It's often a positional problem, especially with the centre speaker, that causes dialogue problems.

The distance measurements look a bit off unless your LCR really are all at different distances from the main listening postion

Hello,

Found out that enabling deq increases the volume of every speaker except the centerspeaker with about 7db (depents on movie). The centerspeaker stays at the same level. This makes the center speaker just hardly hearable. The music during films is blasting through the speakers while the dialogue just isn't there.

Is this normal?

Greats,
Canonsvogel

No it should not increase all speakers by 7dB apart from the centre speaker.

Simply put Dynamic EQ increases the bass as the volume is decreased to account for a quirk in human hearing that says as bass is decreased we are unable to maintain the balance between bass and the upper frequencies.

It also does the same for the surrounds as we lose the ability to maintain the balance between the front speakers and surrounds as the volume is decreased.

A quick fix if wanting to use Dynamic EQ would be to reduce all speakers apart from the centre speakers by 7dB

If it was my receiver I would do a factory reset and then run the Setup Assistant and set everything up from scratch again .

Screenshot 2022-01-06 111214.png

Restoring the firmware to the factory defaults AVR-X2700H

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom