• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

dying wood ..

SteveTDCI

I've just got myself an AV rack ( av4home fantastic service btw ) and I went for the walnut finish to match my walnut monitor audio speakers, whilst I wasn't expecting an exact match I wasn't really expecting the sides to be that far out ... how wrong was I .. the back of the unit is close but the sides look no where near - i'll get some pictures up later. So has anyone played about with stains/varnishes on wood veniers to change the colour ?

I knew I should have gone for the m-form black stand !

gandley

i would not really start messing with any other colours etc, it will end up looking naff unless you cut back thru the finish to the veneer or wood below.

you can add a colour to a varnish/lacquer and add as an over tint but if it goes wrong it will most likly look worse than the miss match.

Also keep in mind that walnut will change colour quite a bit in direct sunlight (it goes lighter).

SteveTDCI

:eek:I don't want it to go lighter it needs to get darker ! its only a thin venier so cutting back thru it isn't an option

jerryfb

I've just got myself an AV rack ( av4home fantastic service btw ) and I went for the walnut finish to match my walnut monitor audio speakers, whilst I wasn't expecting an exact match I wasn't really expecting the sides to be that far out ... how wrong was I .. the back of the unit is close but the sides look no where near - i'll get some pictures up later. So has anyone played about with stains/varnishes on wood veniers to change the colour ?

I knew I should have gone for the m-form black stand !

The veneer is likely be lacquered or sealed with some form of oil or other treatment. Most (all) wood dyes need the wood to be clean, dry and to have all previous treatments removed before using. Sorry to be the voice of doom but there is no way you'll get a clean start on that veneer to give you an even finish that comes anywhere close to what you have now. You risk ruining the piece by even trying. Live with it or see if you can get your money back. Sorry but I would leave well alone.

SteveTDCI

thats what i'm begining to think I might just leave it as is, thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom