Dying Toshiba 36ZD26P and warranty question

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by o0OBoBO0o, Sep 18, 2004.

1. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I have tried searching but couldn't really see anything about this, I have a problem with my Toshiba 36" widescreen telly.

All of a sudden today the television switched itself off, the standby light is on, but the telly wouldn't swtitch on. I swapped the batteries etc to no avail, then after about 20 minutes of fiddling the telly burst back into life, except it went off again after about 5 minutes. This is repeatable and it seems that if I leave it I can get it to come on after say 20 minutes but only for a few minutes. Has anyone ever seen this before ?

Now my second question is, the telly cost me £1600 about 20 months ago, its out of warranty but I'm pretty sure that I have read here that I should still be able to get Toshiba to repair it as it failed in an unreasonable timescale, has anyone ever managed to get their telly repaired by the manufacturer once out of warranty ?

Thanks

:lease:

BoBBoB

2. steveinglis

steveinglis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey man,

my Tosh has developed the same problem, how did you get on?

let me know!

Cheers,

Steve

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Most of the main manufacturers will help with some repairs after the first years waranty has run out, but it may depend on the fault.
    Some faults could be caused by surges in the mains electrical suply, or be imposible to know what caused it-so they might not help you with the cost of repair.
    But if it is a known/design fault (tube or eprom ect) then you might get all the bill paid. Or somewhere inbetween the two.
    Find out what the fault is and speak to the repair agent, a letter to Toshiba, just give it a try.
    Nigel

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My Tosh is giving me this hassle too. I spoke to customer services today and the helpline operator told me that the software has a kind of 'shut down' mode when it discovers a fault during the start up routine. As mine is 3 years old, I have to accept that it is way out of warranty. He told me to contact a local TV repairer as there is definetly a fault with it. Like I don't know!!! I can't watch the bloody thing!

5. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just an update. My local Tosh autorised dealer has been out and changed my teletext PCB. This has cured the problem. It also cured my confusion what to do with my £117.50 I had saved up for Christmas!!!:(

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Contact Trading Standards or CAB, it is a reasonable expectation for a expensive TV to last more than 20 months without it failing

7. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have written to Tosh customer services to ask them whether they think 3 years is an acceptable time for a premium priced TV to last. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I will update you on their response.
    (Mutts, I phoned them on the No. you PM'd but they just 'blah blahed' me.):suicide:

8. mutts

mutts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    most surprised :confused: :confused: tosh normaly very helpfull think they might be having a bad day i have never had a request for help from them for any customer turned down

9. mctech

mctech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Most manufacturers will come and go with you usually up to 18 months old after that it can depend on how much you complain.I have had customers getting replacement tubes after 2 years at a reduced rate and i fitted these for free

10. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe it was me?
    I told the lady that the repairer changed the teletext PCB and this cured the problems, (I told her what they were first)
    She just said that it's a conponant part. They would need to know the reason it was changed. The solder may have just become loose. (Seemed like a procession of pre-conceived excuses)
    i) I personally would have thought that if the TV wasn't working prior to change and was following it, the reason for changing the PCB was it was faulty.
    ii) It may be a conponant part, but then all TVs are made up of conponant parts and once joined together they become a whole. And any product is only as good as it's conponant parts and it is these that we pay more/less for depending on quality.
    iii) If the solder had become loose, it was faulty.
    Anyway, she did invite me to write, which I did giving all the details I could for them to investigate if they feel it's warranted.

11. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A hugh thanks to Mutts and other subscribers for the contact details and words of wisdom.
    Toshiba wrote to me today expressing their dissappointment with the exception failure of this tele.
    They also enclosed a cheque covering the cost of the faulty part.:clap:
    Tosh are the best.