Dying Onkyo 607 Receiver TrueHD options via Optical(with Samsung Q95T TV)

Midnight Tboy

Hi,

I've had my 607 Onkyo for quite some time now, paired with a Samsung UE55D8000 3dtv. its been flakey for a long time though, at first I lost the OSD menus, and then these days it takes about 15minutes to "warm up" to give me a picture, then works fine (other than the occasional click/pop from a capacitor

I've just finally caved and ordered a new TV, a Samsung 65 Q95T with one connect box, which should be delivered within the next week, but of course the old Onkyo doesn't support 4k, nor does it support Arc return afaik

I've seen the capacitor fix on youtube, even bought the capacitors, but have been reluctant to try and fix it yet, as it still works, and my soldering skills are ****

I then thought I'd test a regular audio device which had optical (found a DAB radio) and confirmed that just audio alone the sound works fine immediately on turn on. The OneConnect box was the ideal setup for my as the regular tv inputs are opposite end to where my devices are, as the tv is wall mounted, so I figured, ok I can have my devices inputted to the OneConnect box and then Optical from OneConnect Box to the AVR receiver in its sound input mode, as that would still support DTS (but obv not DTSHD (where the DTS stream would be used instead) nor TrueHD). I'm assuming the TV would let me bitstream the audio to optical

However, I now see that a lot of movies in HDR format seem to be TrueHD rather than DTSHD

Does that mean I won't be able to get any sound at all on these without doing some manual conversion? Or do mkv files with TrueHD generally carry an ac3 core with them? Trying to weigh up my options or possible workarounds

I have 5.1 setup, with a BK Monolith sub, and Focal Chorus 816/806v/cc700 v speakers, which I know outclass the Onkyo 607 itself, but it seems that to get something remotely similar modern equivalent to the 607 (well a little better) I'd have to spend around £600+ or so on something like the Denon AVR-X2700H, where I'd rather try and keep some life in the old unit until its on its very final breath, unless I'd hear a significant improvement in sound too as a result of course, but then talking lot more moneys

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
TrueHD isn't an option via S/PDIF optical. You can only convey TrueHD via HDMI or via eARC. The same is true of HD DTS-HD Master Audio. You are limited to SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS via optical as well as just 2 channel PCM. You cannot convey HD formats such as TrueHD, DTS-HD MA or multichannel PCM via optical.

Sources encoded with TrueHD ordinarilly include an SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack along with the TrueHD soundtrack. It isn't held within a core and will be a seperate soundtrack. TrueHD has no core element. DTS-HD MA does include a DTS core, but TrueHD doesn't include a DD core.

Last edited:

Midnight Tboy

TrueHD isn't an option via S/PDIF optical. You can only convey TrueHD via HDMI or via eARC. The same is true of HD DTS-HD Master Audio. You are limited to SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS via optical as well as just 2 channel PCM. You cannot convey HD formats such as TrueHD, DTS-HD MA or multichannel PCM via optical.

Sources encoded with TrueHD ordinarilly include an SD quality 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack along with the TrueHD soundtrack. It isn't held within a core and will be a seperate soundtrack. TrueHD has no core element. DTS-HD MA does include a DTS core, but TrueHD doesn't include a DD core.
Thanks, on checking, I've just checked the mediainfo of a typical circa 40gb x265 file and can see that they do indeed have 2 tracks included. Phew, this should hold me off for a while

On another note though, would you see the likes of a Denon X2700H at around £600 as a good update for if I was to change it some point soon? As far as I can tell its only 500w vs 550w power of my Onkyo 607, though I know the wattage isn't everything, and I'd still be running 5.1 speakers, as dont have the space to go adding or changing the expensive speakers I currently have as it for something more Atmos oriented with upwards firing etc. I can't recall what I spent on the 607 way back, but I'd hazard a guess it was about 400 then, but that was a long time ago

dante01

Distinguished Member
The X2700 would be a comparable level of AV receiver, but with new features your old AV receiver lacks. The total wattage is of little importance. The actual wattage per cxhannel would be roghly the same and you aren't going to notice the difference.

The Onkyo has 90 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz while the Denon actually has 95 watts 2 channels driven.

You don't have to utilise the Atmos capabilities, but you may wish to at some point? You'd simply add 2 upward firing. height or ceiling speakers to your existing 5.1 setup.

Last edited:

Midnight Tboy

The X2700 would be a comparable level of AV receiver, but with new features your old AV receiver lacks. The total wattage is of little importance. The actual wattage per cxhannel would be roghly the same and you aren't going to notice the difference.

The Onkyo has 90 watts minimum continuous power per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz while the Denon actually has 95 watts 2 channels driven.

You don't have to utilise the Atmos capabilities, but you may wish to at some point? You'd simply add 2 upward firing. height or ceiling speakers to your existing 5.1 setup.
Thank you, Other than the extra features, which would indeed be handy, I'll save the money for now while the 607 is still holding on by a shoestring....then if it does stop fully I'll give the capacitors replacement a try with there being nothing to lose, but keep an eye out on deal sites for a bargain, I'd rather pay a bit more for a good deal on something which would be a good step up performancewise

SeanBrothers

For what it's worth, I moved from an Onkyo TX-SR707 to a Denon AVR-X3700H and I have been very happy. Although the knobs feel cheap on the Denon, comparatively.

Midnight Tboy

For what it's worth, I moved from an Onkyo TX-SR707 to a Denon AVR-X3700H and I have been very happy. Although the knobs feel cheap on the Denon, comparatively.
Surprising considering the x3700H is about £1000....though rarely ever use the 607 buttons. The remote itself is also falling apart too, well buttons not responding, where the inside of rubber has basically degraded/softened or something, so fixed it by pulling remote apart, and cut out some silver tape small circle strips on each of the buttons affected to make a good contact with the circuit board again......mixed emotion about the Onkyo product itself. They did the recall announcement I saw years ago when I at first lost my OSD menus, but the serials claimed I wasn't eligible for it.

If money was no object of course I'd just change it over for something beefy, though not sure what is optimal to take advantage of my (IMO good) speakers and sub, and seems a waste to be something of lower budget that wont take advantage of the speaker upgrade I bought down the line later

SeanBrothers

The Denon knob is plastic, whereas the Onkyo was aluminium. I don't often use the knobs, but when I do, it certainly feels less premium.

Also, I bought the Denon for closer to £750, but it still have nice knobs! 🤪

I bought the Denon for sound quality and capabilities, so I can't really gripe... much...

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom