Question Dying Lamp or Dying Projector? Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ProjectorDude, Apr 28, 2016.

?
  1. Dying Lamp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dying Projector

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ProjectorDude

ProjectorDude
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dying Lamp or Dying Projector? Help!

[​IMG]
    Hi, thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Hopefully as you can see from the photo my 8 year old Panasonic PT-AX200E projector is getting burnt inside (to the right of the glassy square bit) on the black plastic next to where the lamp is usually situated (removed for photo).
    I only just replaced the previous old (3000hr) one with a semi cheap (£115) new lamp.
    Pretty much straight away the proj' refused to turn on 1 or 2 times, as the overheat light came on (even though it was cold) - but I just flicked the mains power off/on and it then worked.
    After about 3wks, as it was starting up I noticed the image suddenly went dim - about 25% less bright, and it hasn't recovered.
    So, I opened up the hatch and found to my dismay that the proj' had been burnt!
    I've since swapped back to the previous old 3000hr lamp, but I'm not sure if the burning is continuing, and since the lamp's old I'm not sure if the continued dim-ness is because it's 3000hrs old.
    The new lamp is still in warranty, so I'm asking if this is likely to be a faulty lamp (and I can get a refund) or it's just my proj' dying at an unfortunately coincidental time.

Cheers. :(

Attached Files:

2. kcsun

kcsun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Sorry to say, I hope i will not be flamed, but I think your problem is due to buying a NON oem bulb. The copies are usually built to "almost" the same spec as an original. I fear that even replacing your bulb now with an OEM bulb will not rectify the problem you have caused by fitting an inferior bulb
    sorry
    kc

3. ProjectorDude

ProjectorDude
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're saying the cheapo(ish) lamp has caused some protective part to blow/die?
    Probably, and I suspect it was the instant I first tried to turn it on and it wouldn't due to the projector sensing an overheat.
    I'll open it up again and see if the melting is continuing, as I guess all I can do is use it until it turns into The Blob (1958).
    'JustProjectorLamps' seem to be the only decent supplier in Europe - they only sell originals; original bulbs with 3rd party casing; and expensive knock-offs.
    The previous time I bought the middle option, which was fine, but recently I had to get another and went for the cheapest - foolishly, as it was only £20 cheaper!

I'll still be trying for a refund, as it has no doubt killed my (once) £800 projector. Disgraceful really, as despite its age (8yrs/7000hrs) it was only suffering from slight flicker and slight yellowing in centre of image (which is unnoticeable for gaming).
    I'll be buying a much cheaper projector next time. :(

4. ProjectorDude

ProjectorDude
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...justprojectorlamps.co.uk (France) refunded me £74.14 - funny, because when I paid them their fatal 3rd party 'Genius' lamp cost me £116.50. I'm guessing I didn't detect the sarcasm in the 'Genius' brand name.