Dying 18 month old Sky+ Box and no help from Sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rogue227, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had my Sky+ box for approx. 18 months.
    It's an Amstrad PVRv3.
    It's had it's problems, with random hangs etc. but over the past few weeks it's gotten worse.

It's re-booting itself at least once a day when we're at work, the planner is now VERY slow to use (moving from one recorded programme in the list to another takes about 10 seconds) and when trying to access stuff recorded last night, it's crashing and re-booting itself.

I decided to bite the bullet and try to sign up for Sky HD, as that way I'd get a new box and get the benefit from my Pioneer plasma.
    But, given that I just forked out full price for the Sky+ box 18 months ago, I thought I'd ask Sky to at least waive the £60 installation fee (why should I pay £60 when the cabling and twin LNB are already installed???).

I've spent the last 30 minutes being passed from department to department, with none of them wanting to offer me a discount, despite me threatening to cancel my contract.
    It seems they would rather lose my £400+ subscription per year than waiver £60 as a gesture of goodwill.
    Only problem is, I can't get cable (I live in a rural village) so if I cancel my Sky I'm stuck with [email protected] Freeview).

Anyone got any suggestions or experienced similar problems but managed to get Sky to swallow some of the cost?

Rogue

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    No wonder Sky keep increasing my blooming subscription. I'm paying for all the cheapskates who think someone else should pay. :(

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    cancel that hd installation and check out the internet, you have all the cables you need and just need to swap the box, very easy to do, even a guide on here how to do it makes it so simple even a techno phobe culd do it, they are available brand new from about £150, save £60 by simply swapping the box yourself,then a quick call to sky to upgrade you account to HD, once you have the box in your palms it will take about an hour before you are watching beautiful HD

4. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If any company treated me like that I would tell them where to go, no matter if I could not get the service from else where, after all sky is not a life or death thing. If you do cancel it they may then offer you something,

When I ,canceled my Sky they came up with all sorts of things, including a free Sky+ box. I laughed my head off, as I told them the reason I wanted to cancel was because of the repeats, so why on earth would I want a box that can record the repeats, plus of cause it would cost me £10 a month extra to use.

I had them phoning every couple of months and loads of leaflets though the door, strange thing is that I have not heard from them for a few months, so either they have given up or they are getting enough subscribers. Great news, no hassle.

anyway take the plunge and tell them where to stick it, you never know they may offer you something, if not then get a Freeview PVr and use that, after all there is about as much on Freeview as there is onSky, apart from the movies and sports.

5. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,161
    You can either buy the box from Sky OR why not try a buy one from a personal sale?

If you have a search round the net you can find Sky HD boxes for sale - you can do the install yourself (as you say) and then just ring Sky to pair the card and amend the monthly subscription.

6. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheapskate?
    You don't know how wrong you are. :nono:

As a customer, I'm merely trying to get some "customer service" from a monopolising company who care not a jot for their customers.
    I suppose you think 18 months is ok as a lifespan for a Sky+ box too?

Thanks for the replies from the rest of you.
    I'll have a search and see if I can source an HD box from elsewhere.
    Or I might just bite the bullet and pay the £359, I mean I wouldn't want Sam worrying too much about his subscription going up by a few pounds a month, the cheapskate. :laugh:

Rogue

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    http://www.midsat.co.uk/specialoffers.html

8. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Why is it that because 'you think' sky have a monopoly on english television (funny, i thought there was other ways!) you have the right to pay any less for the service, or less than anyone else, the deal is the deal, if you don't like what Sky offer, then there's plenty of suppliers who can sort you out. I think thats what Sam is getting at!

Other deals are available from various sources, midsat, satone, simply digital etc.

Sorry, rant over but there's only a certain amount of times you can read to oh so common 'i threatened to cancel but they didnt care' conversation. You could always get your Sky Plus repaired you know!

9. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't "think", it's pretty obvious.
    How many other UK satellite providers can you name?
    That's why it's either cable or Sky (disregarding Freeview), and as I can't get cable and I can only choose between Sky and......uhm....SKY.
    Why do you think Sky can afford to be so intransigent when customers ask for discounts?

And looking through Sam's other posts on this forum, it's blatantly obvious the guy is a pedant whose posts are usually either condescending or sarcastic, and doesn't like when people have a pop back at him.

10. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    i cannot think of any other supplier that gives you the same as sky, not even close, unfortunately sky hold all the cards, they know their service is superior to anyone else and they push the boundaries, it is for this reason they pulled the plug on virgin, they are and want to remain the leading source for transmitted television. there is no comparison between sky and cable normal,as for HD well what can virgin offer? bbc and their pay per view!
    who can blame them it is after all their business.

11. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Likewise, 6 posts in 15 months! :)

Sky might control the satellite industry in the UK in terms of subscription channels, but there's certainly plenty of free channel options out there which was the point being made! If that means a monopoly then yes, they have is fully tied up, and fair play to them, they have worked hard to acheive it and have millions of happy customers. No one is happy to hand over money, but its reality in this day and age that services are paid for, and considering Sky are at the fore-front of media technology, they will charge a premium for it and have to make no acceptions for anyone!

Sam is a well respected participant in this and other boards, namely digitalspy, offering plenty of valuable advice. His comment is just as valid on an open forum as yours!

Play nicely!

12. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1st post - My TV install
    2nd post - My problem with Sky+
    All other posts - defending myself against internet know-it-alls.

I don't have a problem paying my subscription.
    I've been a Sky customer for more than 10 years.

My problem is my 18 month old Sky+ box giving up the ghost, and me having to pay full whack for an HD one to replace it, as well as an install fee which is to cover an installer connecting existing wires to the new box.

But then, if you'd read and understood my initial post rather than getting on your soap box about someone who DARE berate Sky, you'd already know this :)

Rogue

13. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287

Instead of phoning to demand a new box, call their number and select the option to cancel. When you get put through to the cancellations desk, they'll ask you why you want to cancel. Explain that your box is on the blink and as you already pay so much in subscriptions, you can't really stretch to paying 60 quid to get it fixed too. Therefore you're cancelling as you have no way to continue receiving your subscription.

If Sky still won't repair/replace the box for free after that then you have the choice to either swallow your pride and pay for a box repair or else quit the service.

It's really as simple as that.

14. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Not to be awkward but the £60 install may just be to swap the box but it covers the dish for another 12mths so if it falls off in a storm at least its covered :)

15. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I didn't know that, I was purely thinking of warranty on the new box, so cheers for that. :cool:

I never DEMANDED a new box.
    I wanted to upgrade to Sky HD due to the failings of my Plus box.
    And I certainly don't want to get my Plus box repaired, 'cause it's only 18 months old and shouldn't NEED repaired.
    While the rest of your post contains some good advice, you seem to have misread or mis-interpreted my initial post.

Rogue

16. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    BUN anyone. :devil:

17. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What?

18. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    sounds like a good old bun fight is brewing:clap: :clap: :clap:
    after all this thread has gone from resolving what to do with an 18 month old sky+ box and upgrading to sky HD, to checking out how bitchy you girls really are,

19. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,161
    :rotfl:

It is amazing how a lot of the threads on here turn from discussion to argument quite quickly and how posts offering sensible advice and solutions to problems are ignored in favour of ones starting an argument.

It is frustrating that an 18 month old Sky box can go belly up but that's the chance with a lot of electrical equipment. I've just changed my 11 year old microwave that I paid £99 for when I got married in 1996 yet my Tosh 32WLT66 lasted a couple of days when I first got one last June. That's the way of the world.

The OP has a choice to either go through Sky (and they will charge the install) or to buy a box through the very helpful links offered and just plug it in - ring Sky to pair the box to the card and sort out the subscription package for HD.

Does it really have to be a bunfight?

20. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Sorry, partly guity for that one, was unhappy with the constant mention of 'why someone shouldn't have to pay for something everyone else has to', it wasn't directed at the OP personally. The £60 installation covers the equipment (i.e. dish and lnb) for a further 12 months, plus the connection of the HD digibox and pairing of the subscription card etc, judging by a few posts back after my original comments i didn't realise that the OP wasn't aware of the extra cover that £60 gave etc.

I'm sure he will now consider his options, and like most others decide to take the plunge anyway, go on, go on go on, HD is ace :)

21. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, after checking out the link to the Midsat £150 Sky HD box, and reading that because I'm already wired for Sky+ then I don't have to pay the install fee, I'm going to order a box tomorrow morning.

This way, I feel I'm getting SOMETHING back.
    That's all I wanted. I was annoyed at having to pay full price when it was [email protected] Sky+ equipment and software that was forcing the upgrade in the first instance.

One other thing, if something goes wrong with a HD box ordered from Midsat, do you still phone Sky get it sorted, or do you have to go through Midsat?

Cheers to those who offered help. :cool:

Rogue

22. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    it is in human nature that if we can get a better deal by trying it on a bit, then we will.and so we should, sky charge to much as it is, this is evident by the deals on offer, so come on now everybody, time for a group hug:D

23. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    ijd - its a matter of opinion whether sky charge too much, but yes, agreed that they charge excessive amounts of what you can get from another supplier, and i for one am very happy about that ;)

rogue227 - Any problems, call Midsat, they will hold the warranty on your digibox.

24. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers.

Rogue

25. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Didn't get a chance to do it yesterday, so just ordered my HD box from Midsat.
    £149+£15 delivery, expected here tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Cheers to all for your help.

Rogue

26. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Nice move, cos i expect that your going to see that price rise very quickly again :(

27. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    I see it is a bit late now, but if you bought your sky+ box new from sky 18 months ago then they are duty bound to repair it or replace it under the sale of goods act as products must have reasonable durability under the act which 18 months would not class as.

28. Rogue227

Rogue227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You mean for the first time in my life I've actually been lucky with something?! :D
    Knowing my luck now, the box will be a dud ;)

Yeah, I've recently been through all this stuff with Trading Standards because of some hardwood flooring I recently bought.
    To be honest Sky are so ridiculously difficult to contact (and when you DO get to speak to one of their "foreign operatives" they end up telling you that you have to phone a different number as they can't transfer you) that I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Although watch this space, as I've had a brilliant idea to get a bit of revenge on my old Sky+ box :devil:

Rogue