DXR3 cards how good with a projector

Spacecat

Ex Member
Reaction score
I used to have a DXR3 card which i used for viewing on my monitor and tv with excellent results , has anyone connected one to a projector? if so how good was it?
i am thinking of basing a HTPC around this connecting it to a Tosh MT1 :cool:

Good question. I've got the dxr2 with excellent results, and likewise, am considering the projector route, with possibly the PLV30 from Sanyo.

If you are s-video'ing out of the dxr2/3 then that will look good, but taking a direct RGB feed from you graphics card will be even better, using Win/PowerDVD.

Rick

PS What graphics card do you have?

well i have a home pc upstairs at the moment which has to stay there!!!

i use a gforce 2 creative i got excellent results using a demo of win dvd (5 mins only!!)
i intend to build a new pc for the projector and wanted to know if i could get comparable results with dxr3 as it is cheaper and has built in Dolby Digital/DTS out put also
i intend to use the RGB to monitor connection
directly to the projector

a friend of mine has a similar setup.

He uses WinDVD with a Voodoo 3 card, and usesd the co-ax output on his dxr2 to get digital sound.

Best solution!

Rick

It is not really the best solution. But if it works....

Consider getting a decent sound card like the m-audio 24/96. And then use WINDVD 2.6 (latest version 2.3 with the new patch from the intervideo taiwan site). Then you will be rockin!

Spacecat, just a tip.
I have the MT1z and was having a problem getting smooth DVD play back.
The solution was to increase the refresh rate in windows to 75hz.
Windows just selects "plug and play" monitor by default(60hz).
I changed this in "monitors" to a nec 17" etc.
This allowed me to change the refresh rate.
The result was perfectly smooth DVD playback including Dolby 5.1 etc, using a Geforce graphic card and windvd 2.64
After setting the refresh rate check the phase is correct.
In the tosh menu select "image", then go to "start" in windows, select shutdown etc but don't press "ok". The screen in the back ground will show interferance. Adjust the phase until the background has static vertical lines etc. Then got to save in the projectors menu.
......Paul
Ps your Tosh manual shows you what refresh rates are supported.

where do you get patch 2.64 from i tried the taiwan link but even with chinese text support i couldnt find it

Here is Windvd 2.64

ftp://206.112.112.157/patch/WinDVDEnglishPatch.exe

Jeff

Quick update no need to send patch managed to decipher taiwanese windvd site!!

1st test for HTPC tommorow when i remeber to buy adaptor for co axial cable!!!!

Guys,
I have a toshiba projector the tlp 651 and used wih the dxr3 card, but i cant seem to get smooth dvd panning whatever refresh rate i use. I have tried 72, 75 and 60 and so far the best (though not perfect) one is 85hz. Is there a setting on the toshiba which would benefit it at all. I tried the phase thingy but at 60hz that just seems to move the vertical banding along...Also, quick one, if i enable progressive scan output will this affect the image using a standard lcd projector or does it require a special projector like it does with a tv? Mine can accept component. Thanks all!

i gave up on the dxr3 thing after getting advice here , im currently using windvd 2000
superb picture no glitches. the general
thought is that software dvd players are far superior to hardware for HTPC

There is no doubt that SOFTWARE is the way to go. Look at my web site, and my Sony DVD players, then ask..."why does this guy not use them" ANSWER: Cos WINDVD IS FAR BETTER THAN ANY OTHER DVD SOLUTION! PERIOD.

Last week, at NAB in VEGAS (TV convention for broadcasters) I tried WIND DVD on the top of the range NEC DLP! I shat my pants!
I loved it so much, I have already started to save.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom