DX802 or XE90

davemo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a quick one, and I probably know what the answer will be but I have to ask as I have been down the rabbit hole of tv comparisons for the last two weeks and now need help to make the purchase.

I'm looking to buy a 49/50" tv this week for around a grand, and have narrowed it down to two- the Panasonic 50DX802 (£900, £700 reconditioned Panasonic eBay) and Sony 49XE90(£1250).
I am coming from a Panasonic plasma, and only use tv for movie and box set watching at night, not really daytime or general tv viewing so super brightness isn't as important, but black levels more so. Mostly HD/4k content, and sound is not such a factor, as I will be using a Yamaha sound projector. No gaming either.

I know the Sony has the outright specs, but I was committed to the DX802 until I read one review too many on the Sony and am now torn between the two. The Panasonic is £350 less, which is in it's favour, I'm a fan of the design and as it'll be on it's stand it works with the Yamaha sound projector better.

Help appreciated!

The main differences between the two will be with HDR performance, the Sony gets a lot brighter. If you do not have HDR sources then it would probably be wiser to spend less on the Panasonic.

Btw the Panasonic DX802 comes with its own integrated sound bar, there is limited availability on their 2016 models now but you may want to look at the DX750 or DX780 instead that is very similar only without the separate sound bar that it sounds like you will not use.

The other option would be picking up a 2017 model such as the EX750 to come down in price and getting that instead. Performance will be much the same as the DX750 and DX802.

At that size though be prepared to view unusually close to benefit from UHD content though, you are looking at viewing closer than 2m to notice a difference between FHD and UHD and at 1m away you are about optimum viewing distance for UHD content.

I went from a 42v20 Plasma to a 58DX802 and I'm pleased. Sure off angle viewing isn't the best but HDR looks pretty good. Yes it doesn't shout out at you like some sets but it's bright enough and very comfortable to watch. The reviews confirm this. I like the natural colours. I didn't spend more as in a couple of years I'll probably upgrade to OLED.

Thanks for the replies and apologies for my slow reply, but I went for a 50dx802 and am very happy with it.
Only problem is blocking whilst streaming hd content but I shall try directly connecting the router rather than a wifi connection. And the picture is dark as expected, but also happy with that.
The soundbar is also better than expected and I don't feel the immediate need to replace it with a Yamaha product after all...but I'm sure that'll come!
Thanks for the input dodge

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom