dx2 5.1 and a pair of Dali Alteco c-1 ?

brandy123

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi guys ive had the dx2 5.1 package with a pair of Dali Alteco c-1 that i have a 2 front heights that would be used as dolby atmos, but upon moving my room around i cannot put the c-1 back up as front heights, so my question is what other options do i have to where i could use these together with the dx2 package ?

Can you mount them on side walls just little bit in front of listeners? If not then you have to try the upfiring bounce basically on top of DX2s.

dali-alteco-c-1_05.jpg

@Gasp3621 sorry for late reply, no chance of side wall mount but how would I do the “ on top of the dx2 speakers “ because they are very small speakers and the c1’s are massive ?

Yeah that is tricky. You would have to do some DIY wall bracket for them (under) , but it would look quite odd no doubt. And not sure are you going to be happy with the upfiring effect. Just try it put them on top of those DX2 for moment and run your receiver auto setup. Assign them as Dolby Enabled Atmos etc.

@Gasp3621 hi bud might have a solution:
My two highlighted pics are my atmos speakers would they be high enough for them to do a good job ?
Really need to move the front left and right further apart so I more coverage (sound wise).

so any good ?

ignore the mess just finished lol

Attachments

• 345DE19B-6656-414D-9AFD-4EDEEEC5FB45.jpeg
    345DE19B-6656-414D-9AFD-4EDEEEC5FB45.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 7681F435-F316-476F-B75F-3C457AFF287A.jpeg
    7681F435-F316-476F-B75F-3C457AFF287A.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 71
Trust your ears. If it sounds good and adds something (the switch on Dalis on correct position) then keep at it! But yeah run the setup again as you move them.. You don´t have much options, that one looks probably best one?

Definitely move the L/R more apart and also raise the center channel on top of your av-unit. Do some DIY raiser for tv`s feets so the speaker won´t block the picture. It´s well worth it and everything sounds better after it. So bring it up and at the front edge.

Bad_vs_Good_grande.png

hi bud might have a solution:
My two highlighted pics are my atmos speakers would they be high enough for them to do a good job ?
Why not just fix them to the wall in the position they are now, using the 2 screws in the 2 keyholes on the speakers. EG: so the bottom of the speaker sits just above the narrow storage unit that it's currently sitting on?

I also agree with @Gasp3621 - Move the centre speaker to on top of the cabinet and bring it so the edge of the speaker sits level with the front edge of the cabinet. You can buy simple TV risers to increase the height of your TV to allow the centre speaker to be positioned, so it does not obscure the bottom part of the screen.

Also move your left & right speakers so they are closer to the storage units, rather than the TV unit. This should help improve your the sound imaging from your front stage.

Remember to rerun whatever speaker calibration your AVR uses after changing speaker positions.

@Jester1066 hi bud I have secured the c-1’s so they are safe where they are so no chance of falling, will definitely move the left and right speakers further away from tv unit today just in the process of untangling some extra wire so they can both be moved further, never thought of a tv riser before, that’s why the central speaker is way down below, just wondering if theirs anything in my house to higher the tv as I would like to do everything today, otherwise quick google search shows most cheap risers are places that need to get delivered (got no patients).

will definitely do a rerun of the speaker calibration when finished and post my results here.

What a drama it was today (sataurday).
I managed to lift my tv up higher so my centre speaker is ontop of the unit, spaced out the front l/r but upon switching everything on and doing a speaker setup via the denon AVR settings I have no input from the subwoofer, so double checked still nothing, changed fuse, switched from surge protector to wall socket but no power light around the back of sub,

any ideas as I’ve done the basics ?

Not much ideas if the power light doesn´t come up (green?) when power cable is connected and fuse is ok. Better to call them on monday. Hope it has warranty.

UK
IAG Service Dept.
Unit 4
St Margaret's Way
Stukeley Meadows Industrial Estate
Huntingdon
Cambs
PE29 6EB
England
Tel: +44 (0)1480 452561
Fax: +44 (0)1480 413403

@Gasp3621 could it be the subwoofer fuse ?
Is it worth buying and replacing the sub fuse just to make sure ?

No just changed the main plug fuse, haven’t got a replacement fir the subwoofer fuse that pops out from the back of sub, need to order one today

Just a quick question while I’m waiting fir the fuse to be delivered, if the sub still isn’t working and definitely out of warranty, what’s a good subwoofer to look out replacing my one, assuming you can mix the sub with the dx2 speakers ?

Just a quick question while I’m waiting fir the fuse to be delivered, if the sub still isn’t working and definitely out of warranty, what’s a good subwoofer to look out replacing my one, assuming you can mix the sub with the dx2 speakers ?

Depends fully your budget. Sadly there is nothing room shaking with low budget and spending more might feel odd as the speaker sub system cost 350£. So how much you could then possibly spent?

Ok so if say £300/£400 what am I looking at ?
What’s the best route for me to go down if I already have poor/average speakers ?

Something like below and for speakers in future upgrading the front three is usually the best way to go forward. So i assume your DX-2 sub doesn´t have warranty anymore. I think it would be around 2years normally. Let´s hope it comes alive though with the fuse. You can always sell it if you decided to upgrade.

Ok so if say £300/£400 what am I looking at ?
What’s the best route for me to go down if I already have poor/average speakers ?

How big is your room (dimensions)?
You could also sell the 5 Dx-2 speakers for as much as you can (assuming the sub is not repairable) and buy this:

For a bit extra then your budget, but you could ask if they'd give you a deal. I'd buy it without the Q Acoustic Sub - which is £329 - on it's own. This would make the 5 speakers around £400 (without the sub). You could the get the sub that @Gasp3621 mentioned. However if your room is fairly small, you may find the Q Acoustics sub sufficient.

Edit: with either the BK Sub or the Q Acoustics Sub, this will be a significant upgrade on the DX2's imo. Obviously I would recommend an audition of the Q Acoustics speakers prior to purchase, never buy blind.

If you're buying just a sub, this is less important.

@Gasp3621 sadly no joy when putting a new fuse into the sub, so altogether I have changed the mains plug fuse,subwoofer internal fuse that pops out from the back of sub, plugged the power lead from surge protector to wall plug and still no power light from the back of sub.

it’s definitely well over 4 years old so no warrenty available, so onto the options I guess,

@Gasp3621 sadly no joy when putting a new fuse into the sub, so altogether I have changed the mains plug fuse,subwoofer internal fuse that pops out from the back of sub, plugged the power lead from surge protector to wall plug and still no power light from the back of sub.

it’s definitely well over 4 years old so no warrenty available, so onto the options I guess,

This should be ok option in the budget woofers if you crave more impact/rumble for action/scifi type movies. 12" ported box. The cabinet is quite heavy and they use Klipsch amps and drivers (ex-designer now works for KLH). There is lot of options and depending how much you want to spend and what you are looking for..

@Gasp3621 thankyou for all your help bud.
My first option I will try is maybe sticking the 5 dx’s on the auction site and see if I get anything for them,
Then as suggested see if I get get the Q Acoustics 3010i without the sub and then buy the BK Electronics p12-300SB subwoofer,

what do you think about that ?
would I get anything for the dx2’s ?

Is this the average price ?

Is this the average price ?
The trolley is empty when I click on the link you posted.

P.S the Q Acoustics come in various finishes. You can even get them in white, so they match your C1's:

Also in black, graphite, & walnut. The BK Sub is also available in satin or gloss white finish. Check their own website:

The BK 300SB comes in downward or forward firing options.

I'd definitely try & audition the Q Acoustics before purchase. Especially now shops are open! 😊

Last edited:

Attachments

• 05C06462-7D95-42E6-A070-78DD418F265E.png
    05C06462-7D95-42E6-A070-78DD418F265E.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 61
Those prices seem about right. Are you looking to just replace the front 3 speakers or go for the whole set (inc or excluding sub)?

I've just thought too the Q Acoustics 3020i's are only a little more in price over the 3010i's, so worth considering getting them.

£179 - 3010i
£210 - 3020i

Make sure you ask about a discount (Richersounds are particularly good at giving discounts). I've never paid RRP for any new stuff from them.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom