DVR50 - awesome!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by lampshuk, Sep 8, 2003.

1. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just finished installing a Jamo DVR50 with PPD305 speakers "all-in-one" system connected to my AE100 and I have to say the results are _awesome_ :D

I had heard that using component video would be an improvement over other formats but with the progressive scan the picture is really quite remarkable. And the sound is scarily good.

No doubt I will get used to it after a while but in comparison to my previous "beginners" system (JVCA30) it is quite astonishing.

I have not seen any other posts about the system but would be interested in the opinions of any other owners - especially anyone who has hacked theirs for multi-region. I'm also finding it to be rather picky about reading DVD-R recordings (of home movies, of course).

Lampsh.

2. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been considering this since I saw the review in What Video Widescreen Entertainment, they seriously sing it's praises and gave it a Best Buy.

I've seen it for £449 from unbeatable.co.uk in multi-region form, very tempting considering Jamo are quoting £599 for a guide price. Well worth it ? As you've got one your opinion would be greatly received :)

3. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just posted on the other thread, but the answer's the same: Strongly YES - especially if you can use the progressive scan output.

4. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read it, thanks. No progessive scan capabilities yet, but I can work on that bit next

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I was reading somewhere that the speakers were designed by an all women design team and not only that but there not rubbish either!

My only concern with the system is being a kiss based design what will the build quality be like?

6. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can tell, superb. Ok, I will admitt to never seing one in the flesh but WVWE magazine said "Whats Against: Absolutely Nothing" so it can't be all that bad !

7. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one and the build quality is excellent. The speakers are very good indeed and the remote feels heavier than any other I've used - I can't quite believe that it's a metal case on the remote, but it feels like it!

The only thing I would have to say about it is that it's sometimes rather slow to respond to the load/unload command. Other than that I have been nothing but impressed by the system.

8. samuraijack

samuraijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm thinking of going for a DVR50 and a Panasonic 6 and also using NTL as my TV source (don't have any at the moment as have just moved into new flat).

Does anyone know how I'd connect the NTL box to the DVR50 to get sound whilst watching TV? Also, has anyone experienced any problems with the lip-synch being slightly out of step as has been described on some other threads (not with DVR50 but other systems)?

9. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. rickp

rickp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hai,

i have got also the jamo DVR-50 / A305PDD. I have a question about the subwoofer. Do you have to turn on/off the subwoofer manually? Or it turns automatically on when you turn your dvd player.

Any suggestions.

11. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Rickp

No just leave it on, if it doesn't get any signal then it won't do anything anyway.

Neil

12. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK the only downside to leaving the subwoofer on is that you will have a small waste of electricity and have an annoying blue light in the corner of your room all the time unless you cover it up.

As to the lip-synch problem: I did see this on my first system (JVC) but using the component video off the Jamo looks/sounds fine. I seem to recall that when using the S-Video out there was a slight lag which was occasionally annoying (per the JVC) but cannot be sure.

Lampsh.

13. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,946
    Is the DVD player multiregion, or easily hackable? and has anyone noted the "slight hissing" which the reviewer from What Home Cinema mentioned?

Off topic: are there any decent UK home cinema mags? Ones that do projectors would be good.

14. Jay23Sx

Jay23Sx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVR50 is easily made multi-region by the handset .. unbeatable.co.uk who are currently the cheapest for the complete system are sending out instructions with each box on how to do it.

I've always stuck to What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision and What Video Widescreen Entertainment .. but there is a mag called Home Cinema I believe that does feature a lot of proper home cinema installs, projectors, screens ..

15. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Samuaraijack

Having just installed both the panny 6 and jama dvr50 for a friend, I can recommend the pair very highly.

The Jamo has analogue and optical in for sound so should be fine

The only thing wrong is....

WHY NO VIDEO INPUTS!!!!!!!????

SUrely 1 shouln't be too much to ask?

16. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,946
    Another question:

Can i use the Component out to go out to a DVI plug on a projector?

[​IMG]

It seems like Component to DVI cables arent common, so i wondered if this is just not a standard used?

hmmm, and a quicker second question, will the optical input accept a signal from a PS2? i assume it's a straight plug-in, but....

17. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    or are these an extra?

Thanks

18. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plastic wall-mount brackets are included - obviously not for the SW, which squats in the corner staring at you in an annoying blue manner until someone sticks black tape over its LED.

19. kiwidave73

kiwidave73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the jamo all-in-one like as a hi-fi system?

20. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly haven't tried it much in that mode, but in general it's very detailed and astonishingly "refined". We watched "Amadeus" on it and can vouch for its classical music performance.....

21. nano2nd

nano2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting the DVR50+A305 set. Could anyone tell me if the speaker wall brackets allow for any degree of lateral movement?

I'd be putting the front speakers on either side of the tv in a corner (actually less than 90 degrees).

If the speakers can be "pointed" outwards from where they will be fixed to the wall then should be good but if they are fixed facing straight forwards, would not be so good.....

Hope this makes sense...

thanks in advance

22. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC they just bolt flat to the wall. You might get a bit of movement if you don't fully rotate them in to the "locked" position but this will give rise to other issues.

I think the full user and install guide is available on jamo.com and it will show you the speaker mounts in detail.

23. nano2nd

nano2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I checked out the manual and the speakers are indeed fixed. I think the next model up (A325??) allows for lateral positioning in the wall mount.

I think speaker stands would get me out of this problem the easiest. Does anyone know if they are available in the UK? I've looked on all the websites offering the unit and can't see them....

Final question, has anyone used the DVR50+A305 just for listening to non-movie music from CDs (or MP3 CDs) yet? And if so, does it sound any good? I'm considering putting my Rega separates in storage if this is good for both - saves making the place look like a hi fi shop!!

24. honeydew

honeydew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis do the Jamo speaker stands - £80 a pair though!

25. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i would also like to know about the music (stero and DPL2 modes) and also what the RGB picture is like through the scart.

26. Ben_Hur

Ben_Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question - am I better off getting this all-in-one system or would I be better off getting speakers + amp to go with my Compacks DVD5000 player?

I know its only aesthetics but the A305 speaker look pretty ugly when compared with other brands - are they better in real life?

27. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's all a question of taste, but in my opinion they look smart and discrete (very B&O, being Danish) without being spectacular but sound great.

No idea about the other system. All I know is that it beats the pants off the JVC one-box system it replaced.

28. Ben_Hur

Ben_Hur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've plumped for it.

Are the bundled cables of a good quality, or am I better served investing in some IXOS 607 (adhesive) cable and an IXOS 601 scart???

29. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're better than bell-wire, but not much.

Buying quality cables is probably a smart move. I upgraded mine to "high-end B&Q" rather than hi-fi but honestly I didn't do any sound tests.

I put my money into the component video cable to feed the Panny projector, but that was just my choice based on my system and not through any careful analysis/tradeoff of sound quality versus ££.

30. filfil

filfil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked at the Jamo but is it just me or does the lack of basic features like slow motion and frame advance not put anyone off?

It certainly sounded good but I found it a bit lacking in features.

Any thoughts anyone?