DVR Up-conversion

tman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if DVR's (specifically Panasonic ES10) will up-convert an 'input' signal? I know if I have a device connected on the input scart, that it can record to DVD from that input, and also allow the signal to be looped through for normal viewing, but if I connect a VCR to the svideo or composite inputs, will the signal be 'up-converted' and be viewable over scart (or component) for viewing normally, or can I only use those inputs for recording??? Hope that makes sense.

I did want to chain everything via scart, but the scarts on my Freeview PVR are output only, so the VCR will need to connect to either the svid or composite inputs.

TIA

Purchase a scart to six RCA Phono leads (three are input and three are output). I purchased a couple of the Maxview leads of this type from Wilkinsons stores. Cost £6 each. Connect the scart plug to your VCR and the the three composite RCA Phono OUTPUTS to the input composite sockets (Yellow video) Red and White Sound on your Panasonic dvd recorder. This connection is probably AV3 (at least that's what its labelled on my Panasonic E85 and its the way I have my Sony VCR connected but I don't usually use the vcr these days.)

Oh.... and depending on the scart to RCA phono lead you purchase (some types have just the three phono plugs with a sliding switch for IN/OUT - which I don't like and do not recommend) if it doesn't work with the phono leads as output then try with the other three leads. Some manufacturers mark the leads inaccurately.

Cheers Royold, you seem to be a bit of a wiz on DVR connectivity. So, assuming I use a SCART -> CVBS cable (set to output), and connect this to the video and L/R inputs on the Panasonic, I should be able to watch tapes through the Panasonic, which is connected the the plasma using a SCART cable?

Provided you select that A3 input on the Panasonic you should be able to watch your VCR tapes on the TV. I can on mine. A wiz and dvr connections! I wish I was. Have so many video items connected that I have to use two of the three way scart switchboxes and even then I sometimes have to swapover leads. Why do they keep inventing all this new stuff like PVR's and dvd recorders?

The boxes priced @ £8-95 (bottom RH side) are the ones I use

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr4137.html

They also stock these at Argos shops.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom