1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR-MS to Mpeg convertor - where?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hebawom, May 13, 2005.

1. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - didn't think I'd ever need to convert these files, since I just thought I'd only ever watch them on my media centre. But, I now need to.
    I've tried all the ones at the green button to no avail. I downloaded dcut - that didn't work at all. The DVR-MPEG program is controlled by a command prompt (way too scary!) and DVR edit I liked except when I chose the DVR to MPG convert option it said "option not implemented in this release" or something like that.

Does anyone know any good programs - preferably free, but also commercial?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have been struggling with this but in my case I wanted to burn a standard DVD that will play on any player.

I'm now using the Nero Vision Express version 3. It is also supported in Roxio Media Creator 7.5.

Not sure if that helps you though :(

Dave

3. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    supposedly, if you do not want to edit the files then you can just use the sonic ones provided in MCE. I think you have to download them if you got the OEM software though or something.... its a .msi so errrr have a look on the MS website.

4. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean, the sonic ones? Is there a converter program written by sonic? or you mean something else? Yeah, I've got an OEM version - please could you post a link to this program!

5. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    silly question - but what else do you want to watch them on..?

6. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need them as mpegs so that I can add captions and effects to them in movie maker. We are making some short video clips for the youth group I run.
    I recorded Rocky the other night, and I want to talk about motivation with them - so am going to make a clip of Rocky running up the stairs (haven't fully got it figured out yet, but it'll come together when I'm doing it!)

7. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    oh ok
    im no expert at video editing - but I am led to believe that AVI files are the choice of file formats for editing (I could be wrong)

for DVR-MS try this software (free trial)
    http://www.deskshare.com/dmc.aspx

also note that protected DVR-MS files (DRM) cannot be converted.

8. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sonic Encoders are only available with an OEM 3-pack of Windows MCE as part of the Multimedia Feature pack. If you buy your MCE as a single pack it won't have this. It is intended for system builders only to install on their OEM Media Centers.

Without this the Burn DVD option on More Programs of MCE will just burn a data DVD playable on a PC only. The Sonic Encoders change this option to allow you to burn a DVD that should be able to be played on "most" domestic dvd players. You cannot download them from the MS site or legally from anywhere else.