Dvr-ms edit and conversion help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wolfwiser, Mar 14, 2006.

1. wolfwiser

wolfwiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all, please be gentle this is my first post!

Sorry if this point is starting to get a little laboured but I've a few recorded TV episodes I would like to save to DVD, to use in a standalone DVD player.

I've several hours recorded on my MCE PC (dvr-ms format) and several on my Sky+ box. I also have a Panasonic DMR ES-10 DVD recorder but a problem is I would like to remove adverts, and hence burn ~45min episodes rather than the 62 min Sky+ quotes (when using the copy function), I appreciate it is possible (I think, at least) to use DVD RAM disks straight from Sky+ and remove adverts that way but would prefer to do the editing on my PC.

The Sky+ to DVD isn't causing as much of a problem as that pesky dvr-ms format - how do I convert it, or edit it, or do anything with it?? :suicide:

My PC came bundled with Sonic, but this only allows 2 episodes with adverts to be recorded to one disk, also have Nero 6 ultra.

I would take speed over quality as they are only for a personal archive.

Many thanks in advance

:smashin:

2. Sallydixon

Sallydixon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is any help, I use DVD Shrink, I normally record all my stuff onto RW discs, then take that disc (after finalising it) to the computer.
    Using DVD Shrink you can remove all the menus etc. this is handy because I use a Philips DVDR3305 (Can't find any reviews or info etc. on this model in these forums, maybe we can start one), on the 3305 you get the thumbnails at the start, but my using DVD Shrink I remove that so that when you play the disc in another stand alone DVD player it goes straight to the recorded content with no user intervention being needed.

Not sure where yo can get DVD Shrink from, but a simple search on google should find it for you.

Hope this helps, this is my first post on here so please don't anyone shout at me, I am only a woman after all :lease:

3. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi

there are 2 options for you:

1. record onto ram disk and use the es10 to edit out the breaks

2. record onto ram disk and then use tmpgenc dvd author (or similar) to edit the video and burn to final dvd.

i have used both methods and find that 2. gives more accurate edits but has given me aspect ratio problems.

this requires a ram compatible dvd drive in your pc. i believe tmpgenc is available as a demo. good luck

4. wolfwiser

wolfwiser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies, I do have a DVD RAM compatable drive so I'll give it a whirl. I guess I'll have maually copy the Sky+ shows to DVD RAM rather than use the copy function as the recorded programs are quoted as being 62 minutes long, where as the DVD RAM will only hold 2 hours (is this correct?).

I have used DVD Shrink before, what Sally mentioned was using the re-author function I guess?

Any ideas with converting/editing my dvr-ms files?