Question DVR Alternatives to Argus TV?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by elsmandino, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. elsmandino

elsmandino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I am a long time user of Argus TV and although it performs really well for me, it seems to have ground to a halt a little in terms of its development - just to confirm, this is not at all a criticism (you cannot criticise the generosity of putting together such great free software).

However, two things have me slightly worried:

1. Are there lots of great developments being developed for other backends that I might be missing out on.
    2. (More importantly) if Argus suddenly becomes unusable due to a Windows update, will there be anyone available to fix it quickly enough?

I was just wondering whether there is anything else out there that I might at least bear in mind.

I used to use Mediaportal some years ago before switching to Argus - I am I correct in thinking that I can use Mediaportal backend with Kodi on a Raspberry Pi?

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    Oh, how depressing, I love Argus TV, I hope it doesn't end!
    I know their forum is very slow, and little has changed with it for a while, but it does still work well, I am being positive and thinking that if something changed that broke it completely, the devs would fix it for us!

I have heard good things about DVB Link, and there seems to be a complicated way to get it to work with MP1, a quick Google search suggests it would work with Kodi also. I've not personally tried it though.

I know that there is supposed to be a new TV Server coming for MediaPortal 1 and 2, but there only seems to be one dev working on it, so nothing has come to fruition yet.

I will miss the scheduler and notifier of Argus if I do have to revert back to MP TV Server.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  3. elsmandino

elsmandino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Lisa,

I note from your footer that you use both MediaPortal and Argus TV.

Are you using Argus TV only as a backend (with Mediaportal clients) or are you using Mediaportal Server with Argus TV as a plugin?

Part of the reason I am looking at moving away from Argus TV is that I have heard that the latest version of Openelec will support Series Record from the EPG and the only way I can get proper series record is to use DJ Blu's version of Mediaportal.

Another preference for Mediaportal was that it was much easier to keep frequencies up-to-date. I seem to spend a lot of time, with Argus TV, finding that frequencies have changed and having to manually update them.

Do you think there is any merit in using the modified version of Mediaportal with Argus as a plugin?

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    Hi, I use Argus TV as the TV server and MediaPortal 1 as client only. I find that Argus handles the series recording well, I especially like the alerts system, and I have the scheduler app installed on my desktop and laptop, so I can check the schedulings easily without needing to use a HTPC or go to the server, which is in a loft room.

Is that what you meant?

I agree that the re-scanning for channel changes is a pain, I do it about once every 6 months, or if one of my favourite channels is used, but to be honest, we only use about 8 channels, and they haven't moved in months. I am not too bothered about all of the fringe ones.

Since upgrading my MePo clients to Windows 10, I also now get a little notification pop up on the HTPC telling me when a recording has stopped or started, which is a suprise, but very useful!

5. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I used argustv for quite a while with a variety of front ends, including media portal, but have settled on Kodi recently. However, I was frustrated with the lack of progress on series record so moved to media portal as the back end tuner. This works really well for me now and latest Kodi supports series record so all is well.

6. elsmandino

elsmandino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you both for your replies.

Lisa - yes, that is indeed exactly what I was getting at. I think part of the issue comes from the fact I have to use Kodi as I have only Raspberry Pi's as clients.

I did use to like the Mediaportal frontend but ended up going the Kodi route for the sheer amount of extra add-ons that it provided.

I do agree that it does tend to be the lesser-watched channels that jump around.

Meep - may I assume, as you are using the series record button, that you are using DJ Blu's version of Mediaportal?

7. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Don't think so.

I just installed MedaiPortal TV Server and I think this add on;

Kodi - TVServerKodi

To activate Series Record, I long press on the OK button on my remote and get the add timer option in the subsequent menu.

8. elsmandino

elsmandino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Right - I see.

I think I should have technically referred to Series Link in my original post as this is what the modified version of Mediaportal Offers (i.e. it automatically records every new episode of a series, independently of the name).

9. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    Argus TV may not be dead! There is new forum software and new activity. Hurrah :)