DVI vs Componant vs HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scotty Boy, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello ladies, hope all is well.

Just a little niggle that's been baffling me. Now, without going too technical. Would someone please tell me out of the three, which type of connection and lead will provide me with the best picture?

The reason being, in the future i'm looking to go for a Projector, and I want to get the knowledge now so that I know what to look out for.

All three can do 480p/i, 570p, 720p and 1080i. But does one make much of a difference over the other?

Also, will there be any new connections in the future do you think? Like, the near future? As I know DVI and HDMI are relatively new.

Cheers for your time

Scott

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll try because it's not easy. Most people are going to go for a digital signal as best but it isn't always necessarily the case. It depends what your display likes best.

DVI
    is video only , available as digital or analogue but is mostly the player is going to be outputting a progressive signal which limits you to the onboard deinterlacer. Can be HDCP or non HDCP compliant.

Component
    is video only & analogue , can ouput interlaced or progressive.

HDMI
    is video & audio , HDMI 1.0 is 2 channel audio , HDMI 1.1 is with multichannel audio. This can carry interlaced or progressive signal but it is player dependant. I think the Arcam DV29 can output i/p where as the Denon 3910 etc only output progressive. If you can only output progressive you are again tied to onboard deinterlacing. HDMI is a copyprotected digital signal as well.

SDI
    video only , digital , interlaced , & not copy protected. (all of which is good if you want to do external deinterlacing)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    HDMI is basically the same as DVI except as Vonhosen said it carries audio as well as video. I have the DV29 and know that the HDMI can output interlaced and progressive video but not sure if both are available from many HDMI players.
    I will in the not too distant future rewire my DV29 to output the video to my video processor via HDMI instead of component, but the video processor only has DVI inputs so will be useing a converter lead and have been advised that this will work fine.

SDI is theretically better than DVI/HDMI as the video is taken directly off the MPEG decoder before any copy protection or any other processing is done to the video signal. However on a good quality player such as the Arcams it is yet to be proven as to wheather the SDI is in fact any better in the real world. Even if it is, it is likely it will only be better by a very small amount. Cheaper/less well designed players are likely to benefit a lot more from an SDI output. I'm not sure if any displays can directly accept an SDI signal, all I have seen are video processors with SDI inputs. The other downside to SDI is that it is an after sales upgrade that is not official (well it does bypass copy protection) and will therefore void the player warrenty unless it is taken over by the shop that sold & upgraded the player (PJ HiFi springs to mind).

If useing good quality leads then component IMHO is still very good and to many will be no different to the digital connections. My screen can not accept HDMI/DVI so if I did not have the video processor I would still be more than happy with component and would not upgrade the screen just to get a digital video signal to the plasma.

As to the future of connections - well I guarentee that there will be newer & better just around the courner, and it is normally released just after having bought the latest & best that was available at the time. Computer & AV electronics get updated at lightning speed and the latest technology is often out of date before it even hits the shops.

Mark.