1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI/VGA over component

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stimpy, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any advantages to DVI over component connections given that I would have to convert to DVI anyway?

I'm currently connecting my DVD player via component to my Yamaha amp and upconverting (in the amp) my Sky+ box and playstation 2 (connected to s-vid), to component. Eventually I will be getting an RGB scart to component converter for the Sky+ box. Then going component to the plasma.

The main reason I'm thinking of upconverting to DVI (via vivid scaler), is that the DVI cable is considerably thinner than my long and very thick £100 component cable, which would be easier to hide or chase into the wall.

Are there any other advantages? I don't want to waste a load of viewing time wiring everything up and recalibrating the screen (LG PX11 plasma).

Cheers for any help.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For you, not sure. I' think I'd be saving up for a better display before lashing out on a scaler. I should have thought a thinner YUV cable would solve your problem more cheaply.

3. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have the scaler, and the plasma was a replacement sent by the insurance company after my old one got knicked (a massive improvement by the way).