1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvi V Hdmi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mdanforth, Mar 30, 2005.

1. mdanforth

mdanforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im currently looking at getting a new DVI or HDMI input board for my Panasonic PW7.
    I'll be using a mac mini with its DVI outlet but I would rather get a HDMI input board as its a more complete connection and may use it for something else in the future. For me to do this is it just as simple as using a DVI-HDMI lead from the mac? Sorry if its a really daft question.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's daft but you are not. You have been misled. You do want the DVI board, it is far more 'complete' than the stupid half assed HDMI board, go wash your mouth out for mentioning it.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think Mdanforth maybe be eluding to the fact that HDMI carries audio whereas DVI doesn't in which case it is a more complete connection.

4. mdanforth

mdanforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its mainly because I thought DVI was aimed at computers and HDMI at DVD players.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    mdanforth

Not sure why MAW has the hump with the TY-FB7HM (HDMI) Board - it has pretty much the same Signal compatibility as the DVI Board though you gain PCM Audio 48/44.1/32 kHz if you have an HDMI source and loudspeakers attached to the Display.

I've also found the HDMI Board to be compatible with a few DVD players that had problems with the TY-42TM6DB (DVI) Board.

You get a 3m DVI cable supplied with the DVI Board and no cables supplied with the HDMI Board.

Best regards

Joe

6. mdanforth

mdanforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ok, one vote for and one vote against...

7. PeteJ

PeteJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the HDMI board TY-FB7HM. Connected to a Panasonic DVD-S97. The S97 comes with a HDMI cabel. The picture is great but grey colours became more noisy than with component. Did alot of tweaking in DVE but i can still see it in the 2% and 4% black bars on DVE.

Calibrated Cinema but also tested Normal but didn´t get the same good results as Cinema. But if i lower gamma and contrast then it became as good as Cinema but by doing that i had the same settings as Cinema. Or are there more settings thats different in the service menu? Do you recommend Cinema or Normal to tweak?

8. mdanforth

mdanforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Going back to my question, if I decide DVI, I need a DVI-DVI cable, if I decide HDMI, a DVI to HDMI cable from the mac mini will work fine?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you want to send audio to the panel, no contest. But DVI is cheaper, handles all the signals the HDMI one does, plus a load more computer resolutions, and panel native. That's why, at the merest mention of PC, it has to be DVI

One final point, it's cheaper IIRC!

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    In a word yes. There are loads of decent DVI to HDMI cables about.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,525
    mdanforth

I don't know the 'mac mini' that well but do keep in mind if it outputs DVI its mute - no Audio; you only get Digital Video + Audio via HDMI (and even then not all HDMI Input/Output sockets carry Audio).

As before you get a 3m DVD>DVI cable with the DVI Board and plenty of choice for DVI>HDMI cables - and or adapters if you already have a DVI cable and need to convert one end to HDMI.

Best regards

Joe

12. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would go for HDMI. That way you can support both RGB, used on DVI and componet which is unique to HDMI. If you upgrade or get another device with HDMI you have no problems and you can transfer sound.
    That is not to say you cannot run HDMI to DVI as well.

13. PeteJ

PeteJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you see any noise with DVI on DVE? ASAP :rotfl:

14. PeteJ

PeteJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is F.U.B.A.R. bigtime. Hasn´t anyone seen noise in dark areas on they´re Panasonic? The noise isn´t distracting but i was just curious. Could also be the DVD player or the cable. Other than that the picture is flawless :smashin:

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I have my shuttle HTPC connected to my PW7 via DVI and I also see noise on some of the gray bars on the DVE disc.... I asked about this on this forum and was told it is called 'dithering' and all plasmas suffer from it... ???

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have a theory you see it more on panasonic dark areas owing to the fact that the dark bits are actually dark. any light at all in these areas shows up very easily. I don't get it in anamorphic 'black bars' but do in darkl areas of picture, ones which are very nearly, but not quite, black.

17. PeteJ

PeteJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW. I think your theory sounds right. Just like you said:

18. bigddd

bigddd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would go for HDMI - DVI is an old format:
    HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface, and like DVI, it allows for the uncompressed data transfer of video between a digital TV and HDMI-enabled consumer electronics devices. The big difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI transfers the video and audio signal. DVI only carries the video signal.

According to the HDMI’s official Web site, the advantages of HDMI are:

1) The highest quality video seen and audio heard
    2) Fewer cables behind the TV means less mess and confusion-free connection
    3) Automatically configures remote controls of devices connected by HDMI
    4) Automatically adjusts video content to most effective format
    5) HDMI is compatible with DVI, which means it will allow connection to PCs

Because it combines the audio and video signal, HDMI has tremendous support from the MPAA. It was created by some of the heavyweights in the consumer electronics industry - Hitachi, Matsush*ta, Philips, Silicon Image, Sony, Thomson, and Toshiba. The HDMI input is similar to a USB connector on a PC.

s mentioned before DVI is an old format, and is secondary to HDMI. HDMI has room for growth, and because it has support from some of the major consumer electronics manufacturers, it’s hard to see it being replaced in the next decade or so. Regardless, buying a TV without either input would be a bad decision if you want to ensure usability of the TV a decade from now.

However some televisions come with both inputs.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do you always believe the marketing hype?
    1) Quality exaclty the same as DVI
    2)No difference in the number of cables, till you have all your devices HDMI and own a switch box. Scart already carries audio and video. HDMI is scart for the 21st century. There's little in the world that's genuinely new.
    3)Plug and play, yes, just like DVI and VGA, USB interface etc.
    4) I was not aware it was able to do this, all current devices are manually set, apart from R1 or R2 DVD output, this is automatic just like it's always been, on scart, component, s-video, composite and DVI.
    5)HDMI and DVI are up to a point interchangeable, but whilst it's not actually written down in the spec, all current HDMI interfaces support only video resolutions, and VGA sometimes. DVI usually supports video resolutions, and a large number of PC and plasma native resolutions too.
    Lastly, how many people actually use the audio side of HDMI? That's a legacy, backward looking connection now that audio and video are increasingly dealt with separately. We all need 5.1 audio sent to our plasmas and projectors, don't we!
    Typically, DVI will offer the most flexibility. HDMI and DVI together are not a bad idea, but not really needed if only one of them could actually implement all necessary resolutions. There is no technical reason why either of them cannot do this, say the SDTV and HDTV resolution and frequency set, and the native resolution of the panel, and a helpful set of straightforward PC resolutions to make life easy. Either will do, I don't actually care TBH, as long as they do the job.

20. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised you called the audio side of HDMI legacy and backward looking. It's very true that we don't generally need audio going to our screens or projectors, but it still has a significant role to play in having all the HDMI feeds passed into an AV amp, and then a single lead to the screen (with all the benefits of audio and video switching happening in one device).

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We are talking here about HDMI versus DVI to a display. I agree it's a good idea from components to a reciever. Strip out the audio there, then HDMI-DVI would be ideal to the display/video scaler as appropriate.

22. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI to display still has potential benefits, as it support 8, 10 and 12-bit Y Cb Cr.

I guess it's a balancing act, depending on what you use the system for - pure AV, use HDMI to the display, AV / PC mix, then have a switch/amp with DVI and HDMI inputs, and DVI out to the display.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Potential indeed, can't think of any YUV colourspace devices at the moment! Guess I'm in the different pure AV category, scalers swing the balance for me to DVI, and it's even more clear cut with a PC in the equation as you say.

24. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    You certainly need some sort of high resolution digital audio standard, and HDMI doesn't seem too bad a choice. One of the reasons (IMO) why DVD-Audio and SACD have never really taken off is fact that there's no industry-wide standard for getting the data from player to AV processor in digital form.

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Does HDMI now support this? Hold on, can answer that one in a couple of minutes..

Indeed, HDMI will work for DVD audio, but not SACD!!! Is it me or is that crass?

26. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can think of source components that can output YUV over HDMI - I don't know about any that accept such inputs!

YUV vs. RGB seems like a bit of a mess to me anyway - what happens when you pass the signal through an AV amp, and it wants to add an OSD? Could be heading to some interesting compatability issues there...

As for SACD - you'll just have to look quizically at Sony for that one. They are part of the HDMI consortium. I can kind of understand there would be technical issues, and possibly take into account that you might be overburdening what implementors are meant to include (ie. should they all have DSD processing on board?). But Sony had the oppurtunity to do something.

27. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Shame on them. They seem to have fallen off as a company in recent times. They'll have some serious trouble from folks like LG if they don't get their act together.

28. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Firewire aka I-Link will pass DVD Audio/SACD/PCM/Dolby/DTS.......... ;)

29. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I think that's one of the reasons why the Arcam FMJ DV29 has HDMI. It's about the first player to allow digital audio output of that sort.
    No, you're right, it's really crass. :)

Well, yeah, but the ability to do that is hardly an industry-wide standard. (Neither is HDMI, yet, of course). DVD-Audio over Firewire is still, to all intents and purposes, a proprietary system. The same is true of Meridian's "MHR Smartlink". What's needed is a standard protocol for high-bandwidth digital audio that all processors and players support so you don't have to use player and processor from the same manufacturer to do it. (And, preferably, a protocol that is asynchronous!)

30. bigddd

bigddd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I prefer HDMI. yes DVI does work better with pc, but generally speaking most people are watching tv/dvd/movies on there plasma. Not doing there homework on it MAW.... And if I do want to use my pc with my HDMI source I just get a dvi to hdmi converter. However I tottally agree with what you say, it all depends onwhat the user wants out of there plasma.