• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

dvi to vga or dvi to hdmi ?

nailzuk

Standard Member
hi
my gpu is a geforce 8800GS with 1 x dvi & 1X vga the vga port is hooked up to a lil 15" dell lcd monitor which i use for irc, i was using a dvi to vga adaptor on my main VDU which is a 22" LG M2262D monitor/tv hybrid , when using the dvi to vga adaptor i could use the speakers built into the tv, i have since swapped out to a dvi to hdmi adaptor and use the hdmi port in television and have lost the use of the built in tv speakers, max res is same using both adaptors so my question is will i gain any gpu performance from keeping the current dvi to hdmi adaptor and live with the loss of tv internal speakers ( i have 2 bose speakers hooked up to onboard audio) i only miss the use of the remote whilst in bed watchin movies, plz advise as im confused with all this dvi-I dvi-D ect
thanks

LJx

You won't be gaining any graphical performance using a DVI to HDMI adaptor, because at the end of the day it is the same signal going through. I would switch back.
DVI-Imeans you can use a VGA adaptor, DVI-D you cannot

Duellist

Standard Member
HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is the copy protection used for Bluray disks. Some movies will reduce the quality of the image if HDCP is not present. The HDMI port can carry audio and video signals so the TV is expecting the audio to come through the HDMI port when you use it. Unfortunately the 8800GS can't push the audio down so you'll have to stick to the speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom