1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI to VGA conversion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gromet, Feb 3, 2005.

1. gromet

gromet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

Can anyone answer this - I have a Z1 (which has a VGA input on the back) and will soon be getting a Denon 2910 which has a DVI port on the back. I was wondering if they could be connected using a DVI->VGA adaptor (like the ones that get thrown in free with a new PC graphics card) plugged into the 2910, and then connected to the projetcor with a standard VGA lead. Would this work - (the adaptor works fine converting DVI->VGA for my monitor on my PC). Has anyone tried this? And if so would it be better quality than using component leads?

Cheers,

Gromet

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think you will find it does not work because the VGA in on your display is not HDCP compatable. You would be better off to use component.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, but HDCP only applies to digital connections. :)

There are two common types of DVI connectors:

DVI-D, which is entirely digital
    DVI-I, which is digital and also analog

With PC cards the DVI connector is usually DVI-I in which the analog pins carry the same signals as the VGA connector, the converter you mention simply maps those pins into a D-sub connector format, it doesn't actually 'convert' the signals from digital to analog.

I don't know the 2910 so I can't be sure, but I'd have thought it unlikely its' DVI connector would be DVI-I and so will only be a digital output.

As for PQ, RGB and Component are usually very similar, I think Component has a slight edge sometimes but it's very slight.

4. gromet

gromet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for clarifying that one for me guys.

Cheers,

Gromet