DVI to RF?? (Daft I know)

C

captainscarlet

Hi Everyone

I have an unusual requirement and I'm hoping that one of you will be able to help by either pointing me in the direction of a piece of kit to solve my problme or by suggesting an alternative. In the words of Catherine Tate, "I'll tell ya worrit is.."

I'm building an MCE box that will have DVI and s-video output. This will sit downstairs and plug into my plasma using the DVI. However I'm also getting one of those sexy white Samsung LCD tvs to put in my bedroom. However, these white tvs don't have a freeview tuner built in (only analogue) so, rather than getting a freeeview box in the bedroom, what I would like to do is to find a way plugging the output of my MCE box into the LCD tv upstairs. I have a spare aerial socket next to my MCE box downstairs that I could route through to the LCD tv upstairs. But in order for this to work I would have to find a way to convert the output of my MCE box to RF - which sounds daft I know but I'm not sure what other options I have without installing a load of new cables up the outside of the house.

I was wondering if I had another option by taking the MCE output from the s-video out and connecting this to the aerial cable to get the signal upstairs. I have no idea if it is possible to send s-video signal over RF - perhaps you can help?

I guess another option would be to use one of those video transmitters which would do the trick but as the tv is mounted nice and neatly on the wall I want to avoid having any other boxes/ cable sin the bedroom if at all possible - hence the idea of getting the signal over the RF cable which as already concealed in the wall.

Look forward to hearing from you!

hornydragon

well RF will be etty pants I would use S-video over cat5 mate one cat5 can carry Audio and video to screen from MCE machine (dont foget Audio) and if you fit 2 cat5 cables you can have remote control (IR as well) 2 cat5 is a good idea anyway as you can send DVi over 2 cat5 at a later date if you wished Search for "baluns"

peskywinnets

Novice Member
Not a daft question at all, & you're in luck - I researched for this very item just a day or two ago.

I'm moving over to HTPC soon & can't be @rsed to install a new way of distributing it's output - presently, I send my Sky box o/p signal all around the house over UHF cable (which for small screen kitchen/dining room viewing is ideal & it means just one cable as opposed to 3 cables (ie 1 video & two audio)

Here's what you need....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UHF-Modulator...ryZ61395QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

....by my reckoning (though I haven't bought one yet!), it'll take the video from your VGA card 'S-video out' (you'll need an S-video to RCA x 3 cable to feed into this modulator) & convert it to UHF.....which will go down an aerial cable.

peskywinnets

Novice Member

hornydragon

RF is dying so if installing new cables cat5 will work long after RF is dead, (if you run 2 cat5 your sorted) but if you have RF cabling then you can use it, just wont look very good

peskywinnets

Novice Member
RF is dying so if installing new cables cat5 will work long after RF is dead, (if you run 2 cat5 your sorted) but if you have RF cabling then you can use it, just wont look very good
The OP wants to utilise an *existing* inter-room RF cable...as do I.

Nobody is doubting the message, but it's a 'hammer to crack a nut' in our particular cases.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom