1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI to M1 P&D adapter

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HouseofMu, Feb 3, 2003.

1. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does anybody know where I can get hold of an adapter that will convert a DVI cable to the M1 P&D socket, such as on the back of the Infocus 7200/Toshiba MT8 ?

I've found such a thing in the US but no luck for the UK?
    Here's what it looks like.

Thanks.

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm only just finding my way around the DVI jungle but I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for;

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41225/index.php

to adapt an ordinary DVI-D cable to the connector on the back of the MT8/7200.

Personally I'm looking for a stockist for the Infocus M1 to DVI/USB cable that will be required for any firmware downloads, and then hopefully using a DVI male to female cable.

You might already know this but reading around it sounds as if the max. length for DVI seems to be 7.5m but it is possible to go longer with certain combinations of video card/monitor.

I've noticed on AVS some people have commented on 'sparklies' with DVI, but with the right cable I can't wait to have a try of this to see how the MT8 looks with HTPC.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

3. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ian,

Thanks for the link, thats adapter looks spot on.
    Am I now right in assuming that I'd need a male to male DVI-D cable for connetion to a gfx card with DVI (eg Radeon 9700)?

I should be recieving my pj (tosh MT8) within the next couple of weeks so I'm just trying to cable in everything I might need, for now just using an interlaced dvd player, but in the near future a HTPC via a DVI gfx card.

With regards to firmware upgrades; Are you saying that they can only done on the DVI port and then only with the special DVI-D to M1-D cable? Would these upgrades not be sent to the RS232 port or does this cable have a USB breakout connector at the PC end ?

Do you have an MT8, if so, did you get the adapter that allows direct connection of a scart plug to the D5 socket, this adapter is supposed to come with the Infocus 7200, but my dealer is a little vague about this at the moment

n.?

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I understand the firmware upgrades are going to be done via this M1 port (thats what the extra pins over and above the DVI are for) with a USB connection on the other end of the Infocus cable.

As to where we stand from the point of view of the upgrades as regards Toshiba that is a different story (would you be brave enough to try a 7200 firmware on your MT8?). This could be one of the downsides of buying the Tosh over the Infocus as I can forsee the MT8 lagging behind in terms of firmware. It does sound like some worthwile improvements are coming too.

The MT8 does come with a small female SCART to D5 connector which allows RGB scart to be input and scaled by the projector. I haven't tried this yet but will let you know what I think when I do.

I think with the Lindy adaptor all that you would then need would be a normal male to male DVI-D cable..hope you get your MT8 soon and it lives up to your expectations..I'm busy catching up on a movie backlog!

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

5. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ian,

Thanks for the info about the D5 scart adapter, I'll make sure its in my MT8 box.

I don't want to eliminate myself from future firmware upgrades, so it sounds like I'd be best holding out for the proper DVI-D -> M1 P&D cable (5m), have you had any luck in sourcing one?

Do you have a links to sites/forum threads that have info about future Firmware?

How have you mounted your MT8 to the ceiling, is it with a Gyrolock bracket (where from)?

cheers for any further info.

n.

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I can't give you guarantees that the Lindy adaptor is the right one as I'm only just finding out about this stuff myself.

Unicol don't have a mount for the MT8/7200 yet, but should have in about a week when they have finished measuring a friends MT8. I should get my adaptor plate then to match my Gyrolock. Till then it is sat on a table projecting onto a beige wall..and still a stunning picture!

I believe the Infocus cable (M1-DA) is only 2m long so is mainly worthwile for firmware upgrading. Thought of getting one merely to see if the greater investment in DVI cabling was a worthwile improvement over analogue VGA.

Firmware will appear on www.infocushome.com under 'support', but I haven't found the equivalent link for Tosh. I have firmware version 2.5 in my MT8 which is the same as the latest Infocus firmware. Best place for user comments on the MT8/7200 is AVScience at the moment till more people in Europe have them.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan

7. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    (bump)

Has anybody found a source (apart from InFocus in the US) to get hold of the special DVI/USB cable (M1-DA), so firmware updates are possible ?

ian ?

n.

8. Beerzo

Beerzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0