1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Monkey Alan, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I want to connect my P.C to my projecter which has a HDMI socket.

I brought a lindy 10m DVI-D cable and ordered a DVI to HDMI adaptor which hasn't arrived yet. But I've just tried the cable from my P.C to the monitor and it doesn't work, maybe because its too long?

Anyway if I can't get it to work with my monitor I don't think theres much hope of it working with my projector when the adaptor comes.

Should I Send the cable back and ask them to send me a DVI to HDMI cable as I have read on here HDMI cables are better over long distances.
    http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41106/index.php

Or will this cable be the same as I've got just with a hdmi plug on the end?

Hope someone can help, thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Monkey Allan

The distance you can send an HDMI signal over compared to a DVI signal is down to more than just the cable; HDMI to HDMI connectivity was designed to enable longer cable runs than DVI ever was.

Its just as likely you wont get a signal with the same spec of cable pre fitted with an HDMI connector on one end - the DVI transmitter in your PC is part of the problem and you'll require a low loss DVI cable and/or a DVI booster; see http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2937

Have you tried the PC to Projector connection with a short DVI cable to verify everything is working?

Assuming everything is working as expected on a short cable run then a 15m BetterCables Display Magic DVI to HDMI or DVI to DVI cable is more likely to work without requiring a signal amp.

See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2937

Best regards

Joe

3. Monkey Alan

Monkey Alan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    :hiya: Thanks for the reply. good news is I got it working. I was giving it one more go before I sent it back, I pluged it in an got nothing again so I thought I may as well restart the P.C thinking its not gonna work anyway but bobs ya uncle its works a treat now. :smashin: Just need to wait for the dvi to hdmi adaptor to try it with my pj.

I think I understand what you are saying about HDMI cables, am I right in saying HDMI cables are only better if a HDMI output source is used? If so I never understand why people buy long HDMI to DVI cables because its far cheaper to buy DVI cables and an adaptor.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I'll have no more probs now. :)