DVI to HDMI via CAT5???

roi354

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to connect my PC to my amp for video scaling. Trouble is, the PC is in a different room to the amp and the only cables I've got plastered into the wall are cat5 UTPs. Now there is 3 of them so does anyone know if I can use them to achieve what I wanna do?

By the way, the PC has DVI output and the amp has HDMI input.

Any help is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

There are some boxes around that appear to do what you want via a pair of Cat5 cables. Do a google search for HDMI DVI balun.

I'm a bit confused about the need to scale in the amp. If it was me I would make sure all the scaling was done at the PC.

Sorry, I've not made myself clear!

The amp is where all my signals are going and from there I have just 1 HDMI cable. Therefore I need to convert the DVI from the PC to HDMI so it can be displayed as just another source and the audio can go via the amp as well.

THT :smashin:

Ok. Makes sense now. Have you tried your PC via the amp? I've seen some threads (probably on the integrated amps forum) of people who have tried PC->amp->display & had problems with it. Might be something to do with the amp expecting HDCP.

Joe Fernand said:
PS I'd recommend you move the PC close to the Amp and test out the PC (DVI) via the Amp (HDMI) on a temporary set-up to ensure you can achieve what you want before you splash out on CAT5 extenders.
Very good idea.....

Didnt know gefen did baluns Joe are they on your site?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom