DVI to HDMI on new 32LG5000 - no signal?

mrbean!

Standard Member
I also checked for software upgrades for the LG but like you I'm running v3.35.1 and no software updates are available. I also checked the LG website - that was a farce and complete waste of time!

Over the past 3 weeks or so I've read loads of forums and sites detailing issues with NVIDIA drivers and some panels, notably many were LG, and in some cases after a quick registry tweak the problem was solved. Alas I can't identify anything for this particular issue, and in my case I know it's not just NVIDIA, I've also tried, like you, an ATI Radeon video card - same problem.

I also downloaded a program to read the EDID information (EDLIM EDID Viewer), but it returned so many entries I couldn't identify which one was for the LG panel, if any,maybe this was because I've had several panels connected to the computer over the past 12 months. As with most registry entries they are often written but rarely removed!

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a setting that can be set to completly ignore EDID information, assuming this is the cause, but I have no idea what or where it is.

I am still looking for a solution, if I identify one I'll post it here, but after many hours of searching I've effectively given up.

Good luck with your investigation, if you identify any possibilities I'm happy to give them a try...

After Posting this I have tried several things to try and overide the DVI or HDMI ports to try and force some form of output via DVI or HDMI, so far with no success. However, in the process I have discovered several items of intrest and one which seems to give some good pointers is this one, http://www.spatz-tech.de/tutorial.htm. As a result I downloaded powerstrip which, if nothing else, has helped me get windows to see my HDTV as 32LG5000 and not as a "generic non-plug and play" monitor which it was doing. My gut feeling is that the HDTV isn't utilising the 'Hot plug signal' or the Video card (actually cards x 3, 2 NVIDIA and one ATI) is ignoring it (but it does work with other HDTVs - so my suspicion lies with the TV). Using Moninfo I can read both the analogue (VGA) and Digital EDID info - And along with all of this I'm getting very frustrated!

Last edited:

PaulCZ

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

Identical problem with HDMI and PC connection, no solution yet ? I read something about calling to LG centrum and firmware upgrade but im not sure if it help in this case.

mrbean!

Standard Member
Hi PaulCZ,

So far I've been looking at this for well over a month and every suggestion/possible solution I have found has failed to solve the problem.

I spoke to LG a few weeks ago, they reckon the TV is at fault, but a)I'm not convinced and b) I couldn't be bothered to have it all uninstalled whilst it went off for tests/repairs. As far as I can ascertain there are no firmware upgrades.

My latest idea is to make the computer think it has a completely different monitor fitted, probably my Toshiba 19" LCD HDTV, because if it has this connected and then I simply transfer the HDMI lead to the LG panel I get a picture.

To be honest I've really given up on using the HDMI port, mainly because it's proven too difficult and in 12 months I can change the TV and secondly, because I can send HD resolution via the VGA port (which I am doing) and because my sound is going via a separate digital receiver I don't really need HDMI.

I'm still interested in a solution should one be found. Best tools I found were:

Powerstrip and Moninfo both from Entech (EnTech Taiwan)

Good luck in your search for a solution....

wywywywy

My latest idea is to make the computer think it has a completely different monitor fitted, probably my Toshiba 19" LCD HDTV, because if it has this connected and then I simply transfer the HDMI lead to the LG panel I get a picture.
You can do that with a device called "Gefen DVI Detective".

S

scroll-

hi all.

hopefully ill be able to shed abit more light on this situation.

I have the LG 32PG6000 32 inch plasma (i know it isnt an lcd but i belive the problem is the same for both tvs). Connecting my computer to it via a hdmi to dvi cable was prooving somewhat difficult and annoying. I was constantly getting no signal.

Finally i managed to get it up and running trying several diffierent ways.

Im using a geforce 8800 gts graphics card with a standard pc monitor and my tv connected to it.

The first thing i did was to update the graphics card via the nvidia website which you can find here. Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers (im not sure about ati graphics cards but im sure they will be similar with there own update site and control panel)

I then turned the pc off and connected the primary monitor and then the hdtv useing a dvi to hdmi cable and boot up.

Now go into control panel -----> nvidia control panel and then click set up multiple displays. The 2 monitors should be listed, but the tv still says no signal.

now go to your desktop right click ------> personalise ------> display settings ------ > then right click the monitor labled 2 and select attached. If it still says no signal change your resolution to 1024 by 768. and hit apply. if your still not getting a signal check your tvs manual for the resolutions it can accept.

Hopefully now youve got your extended desktop on your tv.

if you wish to have the same image on both screens go back to the nvidia control panel ----> set up
and set up multiple displays then right click the monitor labled 2 and click clone. the same image should now be on both monitors.

again if not go to change resolution in the nvidia control panel and change it to 1024 by 768 and make sure the colour quality is highest 32-bit color.

Hopefully that will of sorted the 'no signal' annoyance.

Just to note - if your tv is still not working or you have lost your signal (which no doubt you will). go to the nvidia control panel set up multiple displays. Then unplug the hdmi going into your tv. click off the 'set up multiple display' tab and click back on it. The tv should no longer be listed. Now plug it back in. Again click off the tab and click back on it so you can see the tv listed again. Then right click screen 2 and click clone. Hopefully it will bring it back.

If this still fails unplug the hdmi cable. restart. Turn your tv onto digital tv. Plug in the hdmi cable. boot up. go to the nvidia control panel on your other monitor. set up multiple monitors. enable your tv. right click monitor 2 then click clone. hit apply. Now turn your tv over to your hdmi and hopefully it will of detected it.

I hope at least one of these ways will help you guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mrbean!

Standard Member
Thanks for that, but I've tried it all, must have rebooted with and without DVI cable attached at least a hundred times and on three different video cards, and 'hot' plugged the DVI cable (both ends) several times as well. Also downloaded latest drivers several weeks ago and even after all that only the VGA connection is shown in the nvidea dialogue (and Windows dialogue) - the computer flattly refuses to see the HDM/DVI connection.

S

scroll-

to be honest. even when you have it working the signal drops out virtually every other day.

Did you try switching over to digital tv on the television. then plugging it in and adjusting your settings and switching back ?

mrbean!

Standard Member
Hi Scroll,

No, I don't think I did, but I'm not sure why that would help? Still I've tried everything else I can think of so maybe it's worth a try. I keep going back to this problem, but I've decided it will stay as it is for now and just change the TV in 12 months time. I'd have sent the TV back and bought a different make (all worked fine with my old Panasonic, Hitachi and my baby Toshiba!) but it's so much hassle removing it and messing about with cables when it's all installed so knowing I can replace it in 12 months means I'll just stick with it for now and it'll save me all the hassle of messing with the cables and installation.

PS. Wywywywy suggested trying different frequencies - tried all available options that the card driver will allow and the TV can handle, each at different resolutions - I don't think this is the issue though, the problem is that the PC refuses to see the HDTV as connected on the DVI (or HDMI depending on the video card in use), so all manner of resolutions and settings have no effect on the DVI/HDMI ports and it seems it is not possible to force output via DVI/HDMI without something being accepted as connected in the first place.

So for me this post is closed thanks for all the suggestions - good luck to the others with the same problem. There is a solution - Dump the LG - Sorry!

PaulCZ

Standard Member
Hello,

i have one reason from LG and i have now free time so i will go to service with TV, hope they fix it

My question:
4Good day, I have 32LG5000 LCD TV and TV does not connect with PC using HDMI cable, TV still says "no signal" while the other LCD TV brands all run without problems. I tried almost all combinations of settings but nothing did not. As I looked on the internet so I am not alone whom it does not work. Can you solve this problem? such as loading new firmware?

LG answer:
Dear customer, sorry us that you have the problems with LG product. HDMI connected with PC dont have autodetection. Incompatible autodetection may be either in the PC or TV. Please refer to the TV to an authorized service and carry out control EDID data. With greeting, LG

(Translated with google)

D

Deleted member 432629

Hello...

Was anybody able to fix this problem? I'm having the exact same issue with my LCD.

Thanks for your answers...

PaulCZ

Standard Member
exist only one solution - go to LG service and they upgrade EDID (reflash EEPROM memory on HDMI port)

reflexleg

Standard Member
exist only one solution - go to LG service and they upgrade EDID (reflash EEPROM memory on HDMI port)

Hello i found this post here.. I have the same problem.. with my LG lcd.. and dvi-HDMI connection.. i have read this problems .. please advise me what is the best solution finaly????? this ??? go to LG service and they upgrade EDID

Hey guy please help me too...Thanks wait for an answer

DanyC

Standard Member
Hi,

If you find an LG service capable to do it, then this is the proper way to fix the problem. I tried my luck with LG Customer Center in Romania and the answer was that it's nothing they can do.
Well ... I managed to fix it by myself.
I will describe the way I did it, but it's very important to acknowledge that whatever you do to the TV, you are aware of the risk to break it. I won't take any responsibilities for that; I tried on my TV and it worked, I cannot guarantee for others.

1. Connect the TV to PC using HDMI - DVI cable (I used DVI - HDMI adaptor and HDMI - HDMI cable)
2. The TV can be off during all the process.
3. With MonInfo (EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager) check the reported data by TV:
- in Display IDs, you should see an entry called GSM75F0
- select it
- in Asset Information window, you should see data about the TV (Model name, Manufacture date ...)
- look for EDID revision information
- if it says 1.3, then there's nothing to do ... you should be able to connect the TV to PC successfully
- if it says 2.0, then you need to fix it
4. Repeat step (3) for every HDMI port and making sure that you refreshed MonInfo (View - Refresh, or F5)
5. If you did not have luck to find an EDID 1.3, install and run SoftMCCs (EnTech Taiwan | softMCCS)
6. The display list should show the current monitor and the TV
7. Select the TV
8. Go to File - Save EDID as
9. There are 4 versions of files for saving (bin, asci text, viewsonic dat, raylar dat); you should use all of them to make sure you have backups.
11. Make a copy of these files and store it safely, in case you need to restore.
12. Open the EDID txt file. My original file looked like this:

00FFFFFFFFFFFF001E6DF07501010101
0113020080462778EAD9B0A357499C25
11494BA56E00314045406140D1C00101
010101010101263680A070381F405020
8500BC86210000181B2150A051001E30
48883500BC862100001C000000FC0033
324C47353030300A20202020000000FD
00324B1C430F000A2020202020200100

13. If it's identical, then edit it like this:
- second line:
from

0113020080462778EAD9B0A357499C25

to
0113010380462778EAD9B0A357499C25

(you can notice that 0200 was changed to 0103 - this the EDID version information)

- last line:
from

00324B1C430F000A2020202020200100

to

00324B1C430F000A20202020202001FE

(the last two digits are modified, they are related to checksum)
I attached the file I used (32LG5000_HDMI_EDID_Fix.txt)
14. Save the file.
15. Now you need to update this info on TV. This means that HDMI EEPROM will be written (this is different than TV firmware). For this operation I used a registered version of PowerStrip (EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | PowerStrip) - please note that only the registered version has the Update EDID feature.
16. Start PowerStrip - an icon will be displayed in tray, near the clock
17. Click it and go to Options - Monitor Information
18. There is an Options list in the lower part of the window - choose Update EDID
19. A confirmation message appears saying that it identified a valid EDID EEPROM. For my case, it was the 2nd monitor I used so I needed to select No
(check 01_UpdateEDID.jpg)
20. Now it will scan for other devices. Choose No until GSM75F0 is found.
(check 02_UpdateEDID.jpg)
21. Select Yes. Browse to the modified EDID txt file and select it.
22. Take a deep breath and confirm the operation.
23. It will take a couple of seconds and a successful message should be displayed.
24. Restart the computer
25. The 32LG5000 should be identified - here are some screenshots:
03_Identified32LG5000.jpg
04_Identified32LG5000.jpg

It might seem complicate, but it's not actually :). I tried to explain it as detailed as possible, that's why so many steps.
I just did this to my 32LG5000 and I'm very happy about the results. I don't know if this modification has side-effects, but for the moment everything looks good.

Good luck,
DanyC

Attachments

• 32LG5000_HDMI_EDID_Fix.txt
    272 bytes · Views: 1,049
  • 01_UpdateEDID.jpg
    01_UpdateEDID.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2,080
  • 02_UpdateEDID.jpg
    02_UpdateEDID.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,856
  • 03_Identified32LG5000.jpg
    03_Identified32LG5000.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,518
  • 04_Identified32LG5000.jpg
    04_Identified32LG5000.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,698

Born

Standard Member
Hi, thx for your post. I have this TV for more then a year and I had trouble connecting it to my notebook since the very first day. Now I decided to try again and I found your post, followed it and in less then 10 minutes it was done and works perfectly.

In my case, the second line of EDID was different:

0412020080462778EAD9B0A357499C25

and the last line was same as your replaced version:

When I've changed only the four numbers in the second line, replacing 0200 to 0103, it haven't worked, so I use the same second line as you. So basically I just replaced one line. I was quite nervous, but everything works fine. Thx again.

DanyC

Standard Member
Hi,

Good to know that worked for somebody else too :)
Now, if you want to know more about those numbers, you can use this utility:
Viewsonic » Drivers
(open a viewsonic dat file - I described initially that you can save EDID info in this format - and put the mouse inside different cells). I think that the difference you had it's related to the manufacturing date information.
This utility can also be used to make the needed changes to the EDID info.

DanyC

Standard Member
Hi,

Are you sure you have a registered version of PowerStrip? Only that one has Update Edid info.
Other than this, I don't have any tips ...

Ruslan

Standard Member
Hi! I followed all the steps listed to change the EDID, but I want to attach the modified EDID can not be displayed and that the picture. Help me, please!

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 1,776

PaulCZ

Standard Member
Wow!! Many thanks DanyC. I had nightmare with this "bug" year ago and now its fixed :)

My EDID was different than: 0113020080462778EAD9B0A357499C25 but i was use your txt and it works fine

jamieoliver22

Standard Member
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but I have since being building a HTPC and I have still being using the same TV in which I was encountering the same problem as many moons ago. I searched around on the Internet, not realised I made this thread and it came up - not realising that new posts had been made since. I was trying to connect an ATI HD5570 to the 32LG5000, which this time has a HDMI port.

I just want to say thank you to DanyC as following his guide worked perfectly! It was due to the issue with the EDID (even LG support decided otherwise) which I have now updated.

I am now basking in lovely HD glory (with HDMI audio too!).

Wow!! Many thanks DanyC. I had nightmare with this "bug" year ago and now its fixed :)

My EDID was different than: 0113020080462778EAD9B0A357499C25 but i was use your txt and it works fine

Same here - I used the same one as DanyC had used and it worked great.

I hope others will find this who are having the same issues.

Thanks again! :D

mrbean!

Standard Member
Well I'd never have thought this thread would be resurrected. But well done DannyC. I solved it another way, changed the TV to a great little Samsung LED model. I've had absolutly no problems with it and picture is great.

All I need now is to resolve all the problems I have with Win7 on the HTPC. I should have left it as it was with Vista, all was working OK - but not great. Since upgrading to Win7 I've had one problem after another. When it works it's great, but invariably it can't find the tuners (haupage!!), or IMon fails and the remote stops working, or something else goes awry! WAF is very very low! My plan is to upgrade Mobo, Processor, memory and TV cards later this year and I'll go from there...

MrB!

stuetzl

Standard Member
Hi, thx for your post. I have this TV for more then a year and I had trouble connecting it to my notebook since the very first day. Now I decided to try again and I found your post, followed it and in less then 10 minutes it was done and works perfectly.

In my case, the second line of EDID was different:

0412020080462778EAD9B0A357499C25

and the last line was same as your replaced version:

When I've changed only the four numbers in the second line, replacing 0200 to 0103, it haven't worked, so I use the same second line as you. So basically I just replaced one line. I was quite nervous, but everything works fine. Thx again.

Hey @DanyC:
Time to dig up this thread!
I had the same problem with my 32lg5000 and my EDID-code was identical with the quoted one from user Born.

I followed the steps from DanyC and finally ... FINALLY ... there's a picture!!

I'm soooo glad it worked. I was just before this :suicide: - without the smile - but then it worked. You imagine, I've never been so happy to see the Windows Logo.

Thank you very very much, DanyC!! Without your tutorial I'd still be looking at a blank screen.

Greets
stuetzl

Last edited:

solzhenitsyn1

Standard Member
I still have one problem.

If i Choose update EDID in PS and I click yes, i get the error *An EDID EEPROM was not found*

What am I doing wrong?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand