DVI to HDMI conversion

ArferMo

I'm thinking of getting a DM800 HD but just spotted that its only got high quality output via a DVI socket but includers a DVI to HDMI cable.

Is the output HD picture quality best from DVI or HDMI when fed in to a large Plasma TV.

I read in another thread on this forum about problems when DVI to HDMI adaptors are used to feed some TV's that you get flashing of the picture :rolleyes:

Has anyone any knowledge as to the actual picture quality of DVI/HDMI, I normally only use HDMI.

logiciel

I use DVI/HDMI on something else and it's OK but I wouldn't look at any receiver that didn't have an HDMI Out socket.

StevieBuck

DVI and HDMI use the same video signals so there would be no difference in quality. DVI doesn't handle audio though, so you'd need a separate audio cable if you wanted to send sound to the plasma.

Davey H

DVI and HDMI use the same video signals so there would be no difference in quality. DVI doesn't handle audio though, so you'd need a separate audio cable if you wanted to send sound to the plasma.

Dreamboxes have a custom/modded DVI output/DVI to HDMI cable that does carry audio

ArferMo

logiciel that's what I thought, you would think that anything HD would have HDMI output.

StevieBuck got caught out with no audio once before on a 12m run DVI out of PC to the Plasma then had to wait nearly a week for the audio cable to arrive.

Davey H now you've done it....

So with the DM800 I have DVI out which is the same quality as HDMI out BUT with no audio. BUT with this box you get a special conversion lead to add the audio effectively giving me a proper HDMI output.

What about flashing problems like in the other thread with some sony TV's where DVI was converted to HDMI.

Davey H

Davey H now you've done it....

So with the DM800 I have DVI out which is the same quality as HDMI out BUT with no audio. BUT with this box you get a special conversion lead to add the audio effectively giving me a proper HDMI output.

Bit confused as to what your asking,tbh. A DM800 is a Dreambox and has the modded DVI so you will get audio.

What about flashing problems like in the other thread with some sony TV's where DVI was converted to HDMI.

I don't have a Sony TV, but i've had no such issues with my own DM800 on my Pioneer or LG TV.

EDIT - I would consider getting a DM500HD instead of a DM800, especially if you're going the clone route.

The DM500HD have newer/faster processors, hardware quality is better and they have HDMI.

Last edited:

ArferMo

Davey H.... Stop it, you've done it again. I thought that the DM500 was an old dead non HD device (showing how out of it I have become)

Until your last post I was happy that the conversion cable out of the 800 would do what I wanted. Now you have made me aware that there is a HD version of the DM500 with HDMI out and its bl00dy faster than the DM800 HD :blush: gosh have I got some learning to do.

Off I go to the specks again, never even crossed my mind that the lower model number (500) would be better, thanks mate :facepalm:

ArferMo

Ahhh is it that the DM500 HD cant act as a PVR with external SATA HDD ? and its more expensive:confused:

Last edited:

logiciel

you would think that anything HD would have HDMI output
I definitely think that - I'm using all six HDMI inputs on my Onky and could use more.
What's got you interested in DMs?

ArferMo

My interest in DM's boils down to the least cost way of getting PVR (lots of 1TB HDD's here) with the ability in the weeks to come to possibly receive more than just the FTA UK 28E channels ;)

Do you know of a better receiver at <£200 used or new.

logiciel

DMs aren't low cost - DM 500 HD - DM 800 - and are for enthusiasts who want to do a whole lot more than just watch satellite TV!
Any generic satellite receiver will do what you want - all my three are under £200.

Last edited:

logiciel

It certainly does not mention it at all - pathetic imho.

thfccambs

Banned
My interest in DM's boils down to the least cost way of getting PVR (lots of 1TB HDD's here) with the ability in the weeks to come to possibly receive more than just the FTA UK 28E channels ;)

Do you know of a better receiver at <£200 used or new.

Are you looking at 200£ for a DM800? Take it your be getting a clone for that sort of money?

Personally i'd go a bit extra and buy a V+Duo over a DM800 any day, have both.
My DM800 is a clone and has been perfect upto late, now its showing the tuner problems clones are well known for and the fans started to do me head in the last few days. Just brought another Blade 7000 to replace the DM clone.

Ghostleader

Are you looking at 200£ for a DM800? Take it your be getting a clone for that sort of money?

Personally i'd go a bit extra and buy a V+Duo over a DM800 any day, have both.
My DM800 is a clone and has been perfect upto late, now its showing the tuner problems clones are well known for and the fans started to do me head in the last few days. Just brought another Blade 7000 to replace the DM clone.

thfccambs do me a favor mate, try a $ky u.k. card in your Blade mate to see if it work's so I know whether or not to buy one! Cheer's buddy.:)

Last edited:

ArferMo

thfccambs I have access to New DM800 HD Pro's direct from multimedia.tv at a LOT less than 200 it is possible that they are refurbs but they carry full manufacturers warranty and look like normal brand new units.

Normal time of year for fan problems as the weather warms up.

Whats the Blade like in comparison to the other two and can it be made to do other things.

Ghostleader

thfccambs I have access to New DM800 HD Pro's direct from multimedia.tv at a LOT less than 200 it is possible that they are refurbs but they carry full manufacturers warranty and look like normal brand new units.

Whats the Blade like in comparison to the other two and can it be made to do other things.

There's no way the DM800 HD Pro's you have found are genuine at that price, & yes the Blade can do other things.

Last edited:

Davey H

There's no way the DM800 HD Pro's you have found are genuine at that price, & yes the Blade can do other things.

Theres no such thing as a genuine DM800 Pro. Pros are just the latest revision of clones with more reliable 'rev M' tuners.

Last edited:

Ghostleader

Theres no such thing as a genuine DM800 Pro. Pros are just the latest revision of clones with more reliable tuners.

That's right, I was thinking of the DM800 SE!

logiciel

logiciel

Thanks - the spec mentions eSata so I should have guessed, but it's odd of them not to mention anything more than that.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member

My DM800 is a clone and has been perfect upto late, now its showing the tuner problems clones are well known for and the fans started to do me head in the last few days. .....

is that one of the new tuners?

Ghostleader

is that one of the new tuners?

I dont think so mate, as I recall he's had his for a good while now, i.e. before the "M" revision came out.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers