1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi to hdmi - confused - help?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by whiteswan, Dec 9, 2004.

1. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

Right As some of you know I have connected my pc to the new tosh dlp and am impressed with the pic - especially 720 and 1080 stuff............but I only get a 4:3 output pic from the pc.

Now I think this is because I am using the pc vga port...........becuase if i feed my xbox into the component port via xbox media centre/player i can adjust the xbox to fill the whole screen whilst playing xvids etc.

My pc has a dvi out on its graphics card and the tv has hdmi on the rear of it.

So is it as simple as getting a dvi to hdmi cable to connect the two?

Or do i need hdmi to hdmi with an adaptor at one end to change the dvi to hdmi?

My head hurts!

Dave, Oldham.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Dave,

You would need to make sure the HDMI input on the Toshiba can accept computer resolutions, or that your computer can output an HDTV-type resolution such as 1280x720 @60Hz. This res shouldn't be a problem with recent cards from ATI and nVidia. An HDMI to DVI cable should do the job. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have set the pc to display 1280 x 720 - but all iget is a blank screen on the tosh - this is using the pc vga port on the tv.

The HDMI socket on the tv may well display that resolution.

BTW When I play hi def trailers etc thru the pc at the moment via the pc port on the tv am I getting hi def?

The pic is asoundingly good - the pc res is set to 1024 x 768.

Dave, Oldham.

4. Ross_R

Ross_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDMI video format is a superset of DVI. You can either use a DVI / HDMI cable, or use an HDMI cable with a DVI / HDMI converter at one end. Both will work. I'm using the latter (HDMI cable with DVI / HDMI converter) to connect my HD STB (which has DVI out) to my Pio plasma (which has HDMI in). I did it this way because it was easier to find the parts (couldn't scrape up a DVI / HDMI cable here in Toronto...) Works like a charm.

The HDMI standard also includes audio, but the DVI port simply ignores this.

Ross

5. Ross_R

Ross_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...what do you mean by "hi def" trailer? Something you downloaded off the 'net?

The HD stations here in North America are 720p and 1080i lines of resolution (60Hz refresh). Typical downloads of the 'net are far fewer lines than this (blowing it up to fit your PC screen doesn't count). Native NTSC DVD is 480i.

There is an eye-popping, mind-blowing difference between DVD and real HD.

Ross

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    There are quite a few HD sources available for download via the internet - at 1080 and 720 line resolution.

There are a few clips of Euro1080 available via eDonkey P2P sharing, and even some films captured as MPEG2 transport streams. (Some of these have also been compressed to WMV or MPEG4/Divx)

There are also WMV HD film trailers out there - The Bourne Supremacy trailer was available in this format for example.

As to HD in 16:9 from a PC - whilst DVI/HDMI may work. However is the issue that the TV is displaying the PCs output in a 4:3 central window, or that the 4:3 output from the PC is stretched to fill the 16:9 frame? If it is the latter, then a solution like Powerstrip will probably let you create a new 16:9 resolution of 1280x720 or 1920x1080 which is 16:9 in Windows terms. (I'm running this into my 16:9 SDTV at 1024x576 via a VGA to SCART RGB cable)

7. Ross_R

Ross_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't aware of that level of quality of downloadable material; I stand corrected. These must be massive files, since the 720p and 1080i HD feed into my house is streaming at somewhere around 15 megabits (MPEG compressed). I'm able to get nearly 20 HD stations over single coax cable (along with almost 300 SD stations plus my 3 megabit internet connection) because I don't receive them all simultaneously...

8. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    180 - 300 MB a trailer.