DVI to HDMI cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ThreeDee, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ThreeDee

ThreeDee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i'm getting a biiiiig telly and dont know squat about DVI to HDMI cables and in/outputs of my graphics card.

Here's the thing. I have MSI 7900GTO in my rig and want to connect biiiig telly as a secondary monitor. Question is: is DVI on my card a digital or analogue signal output ?

Messed up a bit on this topic. Let me rephrase. What sort of cable do i need to get the bestest possible video quality connecting MSI 7900GTO (2xDVI-I) to Sharp LC-42XD1E 42" telly (HDMI) ?

Doubt comes in form of not knowing if there is difference between digital and analogue in DVI2HDMI and can i actually buy a wrong cable for connection ?

If you know exactly what i need please link me to the sold item.

#EDIT1# Now doing some reading on wikipedia, but any advice is welcome...

#EDIT2# What about cable length ? Wiki states, that in HDMI spec there is no cable length limit, and that is weird... Anyone here has a long HDMI cable used to connect to PC ? I have to clear 3-4m between my rig and biiiiiig telly...

#EDIT3# I have just found something about 7900GTO not having DHCP while GTX has ? Will this impact quality or compatibility of video signal ?

Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Your graphics card will be compatible with outputting both a digital and an analogue signal (analogue via VGA adaptor) via DVI-I port.

You need a standard DVI-D to HDMI cable like this or this . Other brands to look out for are Profigold, QED etc. Also take a look at the powerbuys above as I'm sure there will be DVI-HDMI cables there.

A short length such as 3-4 metres shouldn't pose any problems.

For further reading, have a look at Toms Hardware Guide, that usually explains computer stuff quite well. There's also an entertainment PC forum on here that might offer further assistance.

HDCP stands for HighBandwidth Digital Copyright Protection which is basically a video version of DRM. I don't think there is any HDCP content out there yet.

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    If you're planning on viewing text then I'd recommend VGA if possible since you'll get overscan with HDMI and lose some of the desktop.

4. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    SKy HD uses HDCP all the time.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I thought they hadn't turned it on yet and some folks use component which isn't HDCP compliant?

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Been on since day one. Except the sky info channel.

Component doesn't carry HDCP so obviously it doesn't apply. HDCP is only on the HDMI output from the Sky HD box.