DVI to DVI or DVI To HDMI - Watching HD DIVX ON PC?

ddr400design

Standard Member
Hi all I know I'm new to this forum and I’m asking a question on my first thread but here it goes.

I have been doing loads of reading before I got the TV before I post this thread but can’t seem to work it out!

I have just purchased a Goodman’s 37” HD LCD of my friend because I was too eager to get one to finish saving for the Tosh.

I currently have my PC running on a DVI to DVI cable with powerstrip forcing the res. I have also just had a DVI to HDMI cable arrive today at work.

I would like to know if what I am seeing through my dvi to dvi is HD, for example I want to download divx HD movies and watch them in HD on my TV.(I can’t afford a £500 HD DVD player just yet)

Will it be better if I run from DVI to HDMI or can I play them on the cable I am already on? Will my image be clearer if I use the DVI to hdmi cable.

Basically I need to know how to get my PC running on HD!

I have got my self confused as to what inputs will actually be displaying HD!

Please if anyone could help me with what I need to complete my setup for HD that would be really great.

Thanks in advance all

Rob

rEVILospud

Novice Member
Yes you can use DVI for HD video.
The only advantage of HDMI over DVI is it's ability to carry audio as well; this is not a factor with a DVI-HDMI lead as the audio can't be carried through the DVI connector.
You will probably not see any noticable difference between the two.

HDMI, DVI (DVI-D/DVI-I), VGA and Component are are capable of carrying HD.

Also, if you have a look at my Windows Live Space (link in sig), I have links to a few HD trailer sites.

ddr400design

Standard Member
Wow thanks for the very quick response. So basically you’re saying I could have even used my VGA cable and got the same results?

I am not bothered about carrying audio because it all goes through the surround on the AUX or my medusa headphones 5.1 (I would recommend these to anyone, go buy them they are very cheap now and will blow your mind while gaming or watching a movie, and the best bit is you can do it all very late a night and not get moaned at by the missus!)

Would you recommend I stay on my DVi cable then so I have my HDMI free so when I get an XBOX or HD DVD I can use it?

Also when playing HD video on the pc will I have to change my resolution or do anything fancy or just open it up?

Thanks for the link I will be downloading when I get home.

Rob
:clap:

rEVILospud

Novice Member
VGA is analogue only, where as DVI is digital capable (DVI-I is digital & analogue, DVI-D is digital). So you may get a slightly better pic over DVI compared to VGA. It's best to use a digital signal if you've got the option.
You can try HDMI but as you say it would be useful to keep it free for other purchases (BTW - XBox 360 does not have HDMI and they do not plan to introduce it) such as upscaling DVD player, PS3, HD-DVD or Blue-Ray Players.

For viewing HD on your PC, set the desktop resolution to that of your screen's native resolution, most probably 1366x768 and just play your HD material as normal.

I would recommend the WMV HD site's trailers and also MariposaHD episodes.

ddr400design

Standard Member
Thanks so much for your help.

I thought the Xbox 360 was supposed to be HD thats the only reason im gonna get one, so why then do all the games say HD on them if it is not displaying as such?

rEVILospud

Novice Member
It is HD!
As I said earlier, VGA and Component are both able to carry HD material.

soil

Standard Member
rEVILospud said:
It is HD!
As I said earlier, VGA and Component are both able to carry HD material.
which is best to use out of them? or r they the same prity much?

ddr400design

Standard Member
Just got home tried the DVi to HDMI and for some reason it seemed to interlace and it went all ****e, have gone back to dvi to dvi and set the res to 1368 X 768 (It seems to get 1 to 1 on this res and not its native 1366 x 768??)

Just got some HD trailers and WOW I would recommend the goodmans GTVL37W9HD (37" LCD) Its not the one that I was going to get by any means, but i got it from a friend for £700 with a £300 glass stand to go with it free so i wasnt going to say no, and after all it is only going to be used as my pc monitor in my office. (its got HDMI / VGA-Dsub with pc audio in / 2x scart / DVI / Component / S/PDIF / External Audio out and connectionas for speakers and a sub plus loads more and its 720p, 1080i

I am now a DVI fan, never really noticed the differance on a normal pc screen but now i do when running HD.

Thanks for your replys.

Rob

Top Bottom