DVI to component or RGB

Greedydogtoo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As part of my increasingly complex AV setup I'm thinking of including a Mac Mini which outputs video via a DVI port. It also comes with a DVI-VGA conversion thingy (note use of technical terms! :devil: ). Unfortunately my plasma doesn't have a DVI input :( and the VGA input is already connected to a receiver. I believe it's possible to get VGA - RGB or VGA to component leads so my questions are:

1) Will a VGA to component or a VGA to RGB Scart lead still function attached to a DVI to VGA conversion thingy?

2) Do such things as DVI to component or DVI to RGB Scart leads exist?

Cheers!

Andy

The DVI to VGA adapter only converts the actual connection type and not the signal. The signal in VGA is actually RGBHV which is not compatable with YUV component or any other version of RGB (scart carries RGBcvS) without hardware conversion.
On my plasma I can set the YUV component input to accept RGBHV (with an additional 2 phono connections), but this is not possible on all screens so you will need to RTFM :rotfl:

Mark.

I don't know if this works, but being a computer bod I think it might. You can try one of these.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=31532

Basically its a computer Keyboard Video Mouse (KVM) switch. You would need one which has a MANUAL switch and a POWER supply. This is because many would take their power from the mouse keyboard connection which you won't be using, though if you were attaching to a Mac Mini you might get away with an auto switch, or no external power as it would draw from the Mac Mini.

Has anyone else tried this. and found a suitable model?

Cheers

Rajiv

greedydog

I take it you have YUV 'Component' from an AV Receiver connected to the HD15 (VGA) connector on your Plasma?

Which Display do you have?

Joe

Joe,

I've got a Panny PW6, new AV receiver just arrived today. The plan is to use it for component switching and use the VGA input in the plasma (which I think can take the component out from the amp in the PW6). Unfortunately that just leaves an RGB slot free on the plasma (but since the quality of streamed stuff isn't that great the loss won't matter as much as for DVD)... failing that I was hoping I could get a component signal from the Mac mini and maybe buy a component board for the plasma...

Cheers,

Andy

Hello Andy

As far as I can tell the Mac Mini has a DVI-I Video out socket - this offers you Digital RGB or Analogue RGB via the one socket using a suitable cable/adapter.

If you want to use the Digital output from your Mac install a DVI Board in your Display - the TY-42TM6DB will cost you around £140.00 and includes a 3m DVI cable.

If you want to use the Analogue output from your Mac install an RGBHV 'VGA' Board in your Display - the TY-42TM6PB will cost you around £80.00; you'll require the DVI-I to VGA adapter supplied with your Mac plus a VGA cable.

As others have said the SCART board in your Display is compatible with an RGB+Composite sync Video signal - so no use with your RGBHV Analogue 'Mac' signal and the cost of cables and converters to make the two compatible will be higher than simply installing either of the Panasonic Boards outlined above.

Best regards

Joe

PS If you want a high quality 3RCA to HD15 cable between your AV Receiver and Display see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185776

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom