DVI to Component cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by digitaljunkie, Nov 7, 2005.

1. digitaljunkie

digitaljunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i've just bought an lcd tv with a dvi input on it and was wondering if it's worth connecting my dvd player to it from it's component output or just use scart/s-video? any pointers would be much appreciated.

thanks

digitaljunkie

2. SwissTony

SwissTony
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Digital,
    If your DVD player has a DVI output you can connect it to the DVI input of your LCD TV. This will probably give the best quality, but its worth comparing this with a component connection if the DVD player is equiped with component out and the LCD has compent in. RGB Scart or S-video are steps down the quality ladder.

What you cant do is connect a DVI input with any other analogue cable (like component, scart or s video)!

3. jonrud

jonrud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What you cant do is connect a DVI input with any other analogue cable (like component, scart or s video)!
    SwissTony is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote I installed my system with componets to my PJ and I have just connected a components to DVI adpt and that works fine with a great improvement in PQ.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    Hello all

Digital Junkie - if your DVI Input is a DVI-D (Digital Only) Input then no you cant connect an Analogue 'Component' signal to it.

If your DVI Input is a DVI-I (Digital + Analogue) Input then you may be able to Input a Component signal using a suitable adapter or cable.

If the Only way to Input a Component signal into your Display is via a DVI-I Input then its worth considering.

Best regards

Joe