DVI + TheaterTek + AE300 = stuck green pixel in the far left corner

J

Julia

At last I'm trying DVI on my AE300...

I've noticed last night a very strange thing: a green stuck pixel on the margin of the left corner!

The same pixel dissapeared completely when watching through VGA or a composite cable. It seems that it appears only whe running DVI and Theatertek. When I close TheaterTek the green stuck pixel is no longer there. Tonight I'm going to try DVI with PowerDVD to see if I see it.

Could someone explain why such a stuck pixel should appear only when running a DVD in TheaterTek (and only when using DVI and not VGA) :confused:

As the green stuck pixel seems to appear only in some conditions (like DVI + Teatertek), my guess would be that it is not the AE300 to blame... I don't know...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Julia

I run Theatertek with an AE100. I have an on pixel on the bottom left part of the picture.

It seems to be a feature of the way the video overlay works with Theatertek. I have seen suggestions to go into the Theatertek settings and set the "Overlay always on top" - in the video settings. It's worth a try.

John

John,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll give it a go tonight and look for that option in TheaterTek and see if it makes a difference.

Strange that it appears only using DVI and not VGA...

Otherwise I'm very satisfied with the picture quality offered by TT.

Julia

Its just an anomaly -- I see it sometimes... on DVI and also on VGA -- Sometimes even on a Hi Rez computer monitor.
WinDVD platinum seems to not do it, and also (current version) seems to be pumping out some sweet looking pictures.

Hey Julia, are you running 1 to 1 pixel resolution over the DVI? i.e., resolution set to 960x540 ?

Allan,

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try tonight.

Snocrash,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I run 1:1 pixel mapping, but I ran only 856x480 . I can run 960x540 on VGA only. Maybe someone will come with the powerstip settings for DVI 1:1 pixel mapping... I still hope...

Olaiho,

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Julia

Johnm60's spot on, this is a "feature" of TheatreTek and can be got rid of using John's suggestion.
Paul

Weird...
Been using my HTPC with my AE100 since september. Haven't had to reinstall once. No major problems.

Then, on christmas day, I boot it up, insert a DVD and start watching. Bam! Suddenly there's a single white pixel in the bottom left corner!

WTF?

Did a search on AVSForum. Solution -> turn off PowerStrip before watching DVD's. Not acceptable!

The white pixel is visible only when using overlay mode. It's not visible in desktop graphics etc. Luckily it can be hidden by moving the picture down a bit.

Guess I'll try and reinstall the whole bloody HTPC, and see if that helps. Stupid PowerStrip.

Regards,
Olaiho

Julia, What actually happens when you put the DVI rez to 960x540 ?

(I'm about to take delivery of an AE300, hence my interest)

Its not a TT problem, it happens in PowerDVD as well. Go to PowerStrip, click 'Options...', 'Preferences...', uncheck 'Auto Load With Windows' and reboot. Problem gone.

Allan

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your postings to everyone who replied.

Last night I've selected the option "Overlay always on top" in TheaterTek and the stuck pixel was gone!:) I'm glad that this worked for me as I need to run Powerstrip.

Snocrash,

I haven't managed to get DVI 960x540 to work (in DVI it either works or it doesn't), but now I've got DVI 1072x600 and it looks very good even if it's not 1:1 pixel mapping.

So far nobody has managed to bypass the AE300 scaler with an HTPC... which it's not very good news, but at the same time AE300 is not in the shops yet (so few people have really had the chance to try it).

Thanks,

Julia

I will! the 300 should be arriving in about 24 - 36 hours.
Then I'll work my magic on it.

[The bad news; I've been told by someone I know at Panasonic that the DVI is only good for 800x600 850x480 and 1024x768 and wont sync on any other rez's -- which is just dumb! considering this projector doesn't have the 850x480 LCD panel]

Originally posted by Julia

So far nobody has managed to bypass the AE300 scaler with an HTPC... which it's not very good news, but at the same time AE300 is not in the shops yet (so few people have really had the chance to try it).

Snocrash,

I wish you best of luck with your new AE300. It's an awesome projector.
Let us know how it works your magic!;)

Julia

Is there anywhere on the net a copy of the AE300 manual ? (in any language apart from japanese ? -- French, German, American, Russian and English are all OK for me)

Julia,
glad your problem is solved! So it wasn't PowerStrip's fault after all.

Just a thought: have you set TheaterTek(Sonic) video decoder filter to "Force Weave"? If you're watching PAL material then this is very important to switch on. If Force Weave is not on, then your PAL films will have bad picture quality (jaggies, loss of detail etc.).

If you haven't already done it, here's how:

1. open regedit (start - run - regedit)
2. open the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic\CineMaster DS DVD\2.5\VideoDecoder
3. change value of "DXVAForceWeave" from 0 to 1

Voila. If Force Weave wasn't on before, you should notice a nice performance boost when watching PAL films!

Best Regards,
Olaiho

Disappointing !! Is all I can say...

According to the AE300 manual the projector has no mode in which the DVI can be used for optimal input --- all DVI modes get converted (P61) --- The same goes for the VGA input ... no optimal modes with the exception of 1920x1080 interlaced.

It's like the projectors firmware was designed for the smaller 848x484 panel LCD (or minimal work was done to provide solid native support for the ae300 LCD).

Makes me sad that these companies can't get their act together so that a PAL DVD looks decent (720x576). It's all geared towards 480 lines. I hoped with the 540 lines on the AE300 things would be almost fixed.

My reading of the system indicates
720x576i in all inputs Vid/Svid/Component
1920x1080i in Component and VGA are manufacturer declared optimal display modes

Olaiho,

Thanks for your idea on optimising the Sonic filters.
Any suggestions are most welcome.

Sonocrash,

Thanks for taking the trouble and putting the AE300 English Manual on a web site.

I tried 1920x1080 but with no success... What a shame as it should have AA quality!

All I want is to find a way to bypass the projector scaler and use the HTPC scaler instead (Am I asking for too much?...;) )

Regards,

Julia

I have AE300 now :) :p

1920x1080i (50Hz) works on RGB, I've tried it -- but it still looks like the projector is scaling.

One issue thats annoying the crap out of me... Is the increadibly short throw (zoom) on this projector... it's actually crazy... (These japanese must live in shoe-boxes) -- The projector is right where I want to sit

I prefer to have the projector behind me (less noise) -- not sitting on the coffee table with massive amounts of Keystone correction going on..

How are you other AE300 owners setting yours up ?

[The way i see it... if i have the projector just behind my shoulder thrown onto a 90" screen -- i'm sitting far too close]

Originally posted by snocrash
One issue thats annoying the crap out of me... Is the increadibly short throw (zoom) on this projector... it's actually crazy... (These japanese must live in shoe-boxes) -- The projector is right where I want to sit
Do you have any idea what the price of land is in Tokyo? A friend of mine came back with stories of hotel rooms the size of coffins - which is sadly true. Good prices on some very tasty kit over there though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom