1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Switching

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Shakey_Jake33, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically, my TV has a DVI and a HDMI. The new DVD Player I'm getting has a DVI output (which it can use to upscale to 768, which is great... no upscaling to 720p then having to resize again), but the DVI port on my TV is currently occupied by my PC.

I can think of only 2 ways around this -

1) Some sort of DVI Switch Box.
    2) A DVI to HDMI adaptor to use the HDMI port.

I've looked around for DVI switch boxes, but there doesn't seem to be any at a sensible price (i.e around the same price as the Scart switch boxes).
    As for the latter idea, I looked at this -
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/DVI-HDMI-Adapter.html?id=DHUCs2Cg
    or
    http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...gold-pgp1101-dvi-to-hdmi-adapter/display.html
    I assume this will work fine? I gather HDMI and DVI are pretty much the same, so I'm not going to get any quality loss using this cable am I?

Thanks.

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both are digital (DVI can be analouge if you want to be particularly pedantic) so the picture should be fine, you won't get any audio though as it will be a DVI signal !

3. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's no biggie really, as I have everything running through my PC anyway through the line-in, as the speakers are better (upgrading to digital sound is going to be my next step).

Essentially I'll just be hooking the DVD up to the DVI and enabling 768 upscaling on the player, and hooking the PC up through the HDMI using an adaptor. So long as this setup will work fine.

[rant]
    Makes you wish they included more than 1 Component, DVI and HDMI on these sets really doesn't it... I mean, it has 2 Scarts, and to make things worse, only one of them is RGB, the other just plain Composite... who the heck would dream of using RGB-less Scart on such a set?!
    [/rant]

4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cost, the more connections the more the cost. In all reality we should now be seeing HD Ready screens with at least 3 HDMI connections, but that ain't going to happen for a decade or more, if ever.

Should be fine as long as your cable isn't over 5 meters, DVI signals especially on chepo cables can have problems over that distance.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Shayey Jake33

I believe there will be a problem with your connectivity plans!

HDMI is a Video Input and as such whilst it can accept PC resolution signals the majority of Display manufacturers are choosing to install HDMI Receiver chips that ONLY work with Video signals - your likely to find you cant Input a 768P signal via HDMI.

Using the DVI Input with an external DVI switcher would seem the best option if you want to use the scaled 768P Digital Output from your Video source (DVD Player).

Keep in mind though that if your DVD player is HDCP compliant so must your DVI Input and not all DVI Inputs work with every Video source on the market - there are different handshaking protocols with DVI and HDMI and you can get problems.

Best regards.

Joe

6. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads-up Joe!

A quick check on my set shows that both the DVI and HDMI let me select between 'PC' and 'DTV' mode, so I should be okay, but I'll see when it all gets here!