1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVI Source??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pws, Jul 13, 2005.

1. pws

pws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi All,

Just got my 4805 and feeding it with S-Vhs and the picture is great.

Would it be a huge improvement if I get a DVI capable player and connect it via this way??

Any help or suggestions appriciated

Cheers

Paul

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    It should be as there will be no d/a conversion and i think the scalers in the 4805 are supposed to be good as it will still need to scale pal material, unless your dvd player can do that, and can do it better than the 4805.

3. pws

pws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply...I'm not too sure about the dvd player's scaling at the moment...I'll call the shop and ask and post the model here to see if it helps :)

Cheers

Paul

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I run both DVI (Samsung 745) and component (Pio 575) and prefer component. Not much in it, but it does show that despite the absence of the d/a conversion it's not guaranteed that DVI will always be best.

I upscale in the DVD player to 720p but vs 576p and letting the PJ do it there's little difference...PJ :)

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    PJ that could probably be down to the source as well, when i had a 745 i preferred the component from my Pio 757, especially in PAL material, to that of the samsung. Now i have hcpc i actually much prefer this via DVI.

6. pws

pws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Thanks to you both for the replies.....I think I'll stick with S-VHS for now as I well impressed with the 4805 so will get used to it before spending any more cash for a small improvement at this stage :)

Cheers

Paul

7. steveJO

steveJO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 4805 plus a Denon 1910 DVD player so I could feed the PJ with a DVI source. I forked out for the special DVI to M1 connector to do this, but I'm now back to using a Composite cable.

With the DVI I found that in dark scenes an unwelcome and quite noticeable digital effect was occuring in the very dark areas of the screen. Its as if there are fewer shades of blackness with the digital signal resulting in contours of grey. This is completely absent with the analogue feed.

I spent some time altering settings on both the DVD player and the PJ - but had no success in removing this effect.

More than a little annoying since the cable cost £75 and I might have chosen another DVD player if I wasn't going to use the digital connection.

Cheers,
    Steve.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Not sure if this is macroblocking or "blacker than black" / "black crush" issues but if you do a search on the DVD forum there's plenty of comment about this...PJ :)